Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Taken in context, he was obviously not saying that the problem was solved but that his administration was on top of the situation and taking necessary action. People seem to forget that he was among the first world leaders to restrict travel to and from China, but instead of applauding his quick and common sense response, the Democrats naturally accused him of racism and xenophobia.
    Taken in revisionist context he obviously never meant a word of what he said when it later turned out to be undeniably wrong. We have seen those "explanations" before.

To put your applaud into context:

“The US response will be studied for generations as a textbook example of a disastrous, failed effort,” Ron Klain, who spearheaded the fight against Ebola in 2014, told a Georgetown university panel recently. “What’s happened in Washington has been a fiasco of incredible proportions.”

Jeremy Konyndyk, who led the US government’s response to international disasters at USAid from 2013 to 2017, frames the past six weeks in strikingly similar terms. He told the Guardian: “We are witnessing in the United States one of the greatest failures of basic governance and basic leadership in modern times.”
    From the interesting article: The missing six weeks: how Trump failed the biggest test of his life
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
      Taken in revisionist context he obviously never meant a word of what he said when it later turned out to be undeniably wrong. We have seen those "explanations" before.

To put your applaud into context:

From the interesting article: The missing six weeks: how Trump failed the biggest test of his life
      I notice you don't quote Trump but instead quote someone critical of him.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No. He is, in fact, one of the most transparent US presidents in decades. I honestly can't remember the last president who held almost daily impromptu press briefings like Trump. He regularly stops to talk to the media on his way to and from various events, and he's the first president I can remember who invites the press to cabinet meetings as a matter of routine. He's not shy and answers every question put to him. Of course you never see it in the nightly news because 1) the vast majority of what he says is non-controversial; and 2) the media knows that the more the voters see Trump, the more they like him. This is why they have seriously considered halting the live airing of the Chinese flu task force briefings, because Trump's approval ratings are on the rise, and liberals desperately want to control the narrative.
        Trump's approval ratings are "on the rise" due to the "rally around the flag phenomenon." But they have moved only a few percentage points. After most disasters, polls supporting the president usually shoot through the roof. After 911, Bush went to almost 95% approval...for just a bit. Then they plummeted pretty much for the rest of his presidency. This is a slow-moving disaster. As more people are infected and more people die, I suspect Trump's numbers will return to "normal." I doubt his numbers will ever drop much below 35% because his base is rabidly devoted and will never abandon him, AFAICT, regardless what he does or does not do.

As for "transparent," Trump is a master of fluffing up the airwaves with nonsense and keeping the camera focused on him, but mostly he fills those airwaves with disinformation and self-aggrandizement. The only people who like it and lap it up are those suffering from Trump Sycophant Disorder (sorry, Ox, but it is what it is). The rest of us can barely stand to watch him.

ETA: In an odd reversal of the norm, Rasmussen (which is normally several points to the right of all other polling sources) is now several points to the left of many of those same polling sources. They have Trump down by 6 points when polls like Emerson, Gallup and ABC have him up slightly. I wonder how long that will last?
        Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-29-2020, 10:57 AM.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

No. He is, in fact, one of the most transparent US presidents in decades. I honestly can't remember the last president who held almost daily impromptu press briefings like Trump. He regularly stops to talk to the media on his way to and from various events, and he's the first president I can remember who invites the press to cabinet meetings as a matter of routine. He's not shy and answers every question put to him. Of course you never see it in the nightly news because 1) the vast majority of what he says is non-controversial; and 2) the media knows that the more the voters see Trump, the more they like him. This is why they have seriously considered halting the live airing of the Chinese flu task force briefings, because Trump's approval ratings are on the rise, and liberals desperately want to control the narrative.
          Basically the only two times he hasn't been was during the impeachment circus and with his taxes. The latter hasn't anything to do with government and he has the legal right to refuse to give the Democrats something to conduct a fishing expedition in.

Previously, like during the Mueller investigation he provided them with everything they asked for and more -- holding nothing back.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I notice you don't quote Trump but instead quote someone critical of him.
            So, you want me to put your applaud of Trump into context by quoting him insteand of someone (actually it is two experts whose points you failed to adress). And I repeat, you failed to adress their points. But, ok, since it appears you are not up to that task, I will put your applaud into context by quoting Trump:

"It's a very contagious virus. It's incredible. But it's something we have tremendous control of" https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/15/p...rus/index.html
            And some different quotes from various dates. Feel free to ask yourself for each of them whether they turned out to be right or wrong:

Feb. 10: “I think the virus is going to be — it’s going to be fine.”
            “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. … Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
            “Because of all we’ve done, the risk to the American people remains very low. … When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero. That’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”
            Feb. 28: “This is their new hoax.”
            March 11: “I think we’re going to get through it very well.”
            And a final statement about what he previously described as a "hoax":

March 17: “I’ve always known this is a, this is a real, this is a pandemic … I’ve felt that it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.”
            https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/trum...-about-it.html
            Last edited by Charles; 03-29-2020, 11:25 AM.
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Ooh, look, a bunch of soundbites taken out of context.

You guys are so predictable.

Comment

Ooh, look, a bunch of soundbites taken out of context.

Great. So you could not adress the points made by the two expert and asked for Trump quotes. When you got those they were of course "out of context" Not that you could, of course, provide the right context. They were simply just out of context.... Because....

Comment

Ooh, look, a bunch of soundbites taken out of context.

Pot calling kettle...

You're more predictable than the four seasons... Besides, the "Ooh, look, a bunch of soundbites taken out of context", it's "But he was joking", or "He's transparent" when he blatantly lies, or "it's only hearsay", and a bunch of other predictable lame excuses. As Stalin would rightly call you, "a useful idiot", I hope you're getting good pay for all your tireless effort to defend Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Basically the only two times he hasn't been was during the impeachment circus and with his taxes. The latter hasn't anything to do with government and he has the legal right to refuse to give the Democrats something to conduct a fishing expedition in.

Previously, like during the Mueller investigation he provided them with everything they asked for and more -- holding nothing back.
                    I cannot believe you actually typed that - and apparently actually believe it.

From the actual Mueller report:

“Our investigation found multiple acts by the President that were capable of exerting undue influence over law enforcement investigations, including the Russian-interference and obstruction investigations.

and

“The incidents were often carried out through one-on-one meetings in which the President sought to use his official power outside of usual channels. These actions ranged from efforts to remove the Special Counsel and to reverse the effect of the Attorney General’s recusal; to the attempted use of official power to limit the scope of the investigation; to direct and indirect contacts with witnesses with the potential to influence their testimony.”
                    Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-29-2020, 12:28 PM.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• For your entertainment...

Comment

• Bill de Blasio needs to suck it up, IMO. He did in NYC essentially the same thing Trump did nationally - downplay the situation. He is mayor of the city with the highest population density in the U.S. and which is one of the premier destinations for international and national travel. Those two things combined made it highly vulnerable to this pandemic. His downplaying it cost lives and will continue to cost lives. He is justifiably criticized, and should be removed from office at the next election.

Comment

• https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...shortages.html

And in breaking news, we learn that the cause of the shortage of masks is....... the hospitals! I mean, before they only needed tens of thousands of masks, now they want hundreds of thousands of masks. I mean the certified nurse assistants who earn good money (just above minimum wage) now expect to have masks and follow professional guidelines for those masks, the nerve of them.

And the same thing with ventilators, hospitals are just hoarding them. What do they want with so many ventilators, anyway?

The federal response has been just perfect, it is others who are screwing up. That virus is definitely not Republican (the virus foiled Jerry Falwell opening up of the dormitories. Who'da thunk college dorms would be conducive to spread of viruses?). The nurses and doctors in those hospitals must not be Republicans, there view is so different from Trump's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            Iran and Italy are handling it worse than the US, though Italy's outbreak was earlier, so that may change. Every other country seems to be handing it better than the US, including China.
                            I may have been wrong.

The latest data from the European CDC indicates that every other country is handling the outbreak better than the US. The number of confirmed cases is increasing faster in the US than it has anywhere else.

covid-confirmed-cases-since-100th-case.jpg
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I may have been wrong.

The latest data from the European CDC indicates that every other country is handling the outbreak better than the US. The number of confirmed cases is increasing faster in the US than it has anywhere else.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43722[/ATTACH]
                              I've been tracking the data myself and can confirm this. The slope on total infections is steeper for the U.S. than most (any?) other countries and steeper than the world average. The death rate is beginning to show a similar slope.

But part of the difference in response by party may be related to this. What seems to be happening is that the Trump base is largely locked to Trump and praising him and the "never Trumpers" are likewise largely locked against Trump and denouncing him. The "rally around the flag" effect is primarily impacting the moderates right now, hence the modest bump in Trump's approval rating and the slight positive Trump has in "handling the coronavirus response." I predict that will shift as more and more people die and the virus extends out into the more suburban and rural areas.

Comment

I may have been wrong.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43722[/ATTACH]
                                This assumes that all countries are testing at the same rate. It also assumes that all countries are being equally honest in their reporting. Are either of these assumptions true?

Comment