Page 26 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Bill de Blasio needs to suck it up, IMO. He did in NYC essentially the same thing Trump did nationally - downplay the situation. He is mayor of the city with the highest population density in the U.S. and which is one of the premier destinations for international and national travel. Those two things combined made it highly vulnerable to this pandemic. His downplaying it cost lives and will continue to cost lives. He is justifiably criticized, and should be removed from office at the next election.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...shortages.html

And in breaking news, we learn that the cause of the shortage of masks is....... the hospitals! I mean, before they only needed tens of thousands of masks, now they want hundreds of thousands of masks. I mean the certified nurse assistants who earn good money (just above minimum wage) now expect to have masks and follow professional guidelines for those masks, the nerve of them.

And the same thing with ventilators, hospitals are just hoarding them. What do they want with so many ventilators, anyway?

The federal response has been just perfect, it is others who are screwing up. That virus is definitely not Republican (the virus foiled Jerry Falwell opening up of the dormitories. Who'da thunk college dorms would be conducive to spread of viruses?). The nurses and doctors in those hospitals must not be Republicans, there view is so different from Trump's.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Iran and Italy are handling it worse than the US, though Italy's outbreak was earlier, so that may change. Every other country seems to be handing it better than the US, including China.
    I may have been wrong.

The latest data from the European CDC indicates that every other country is handling the outbreak better than the US. The number of confirmed cases is increasing faster in the US than it has anywhere else.

covid-confirmed-cases-since-100th-case.jpg
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

Mountain Man: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I may have been wrong.

The latest data from the European CDC indicates that every other country is handling the outbreak better than the US. The number of confirmed cases is increasing faster in the US than it has anywhere else.

I've been tracking the data myself and can confirm this. The slope on total infections is steeper for the U.S. than most (any?) other countries and steeper than the world average. The death rate is beginning to show a similar slope.

But part of the difference in response by party may be related to this. What seems to be happening is that the Trump base is largely locked to Trump and praising him and the "never Trumpers" are likewise largely locked against Trump and denouncing him. The "rally around the flag" effect is primarily impacting the moderates right now, hence the modest bump in Trump's approval rating and the slight positive Trump has in "handling the coronavirus response." I predict that will shift as more and more people die and the virus extends out into the more suburban and rural areas.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

5. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I may have been wrong.

This assumes that all countries are testing at the same rate. It also assumes that all countries are being equally honest in their reporting. Are either of these assumptions true?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    This assumes that all countries are testing at the same rate. It also assumes that all countries are being equally honest in their reporting. Are either of these assumptions true?
    You're right! The U.S. is WAY under-testing. Excellent observation!

Although that means our reported numbers are probably low, I do think the reports coming out are accurate to what has been tested. After all, it's not Trump reporting them. Then we wouldn't be able to trust them at ALL!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedmprig View Post
    I do think the reports coming out are accurate to what has been tested.
    In the case of the US, probably, because the US healthcare system is traditionally more comprehensive and honest in its reporting, but what about other countries? Are they testing at the same rate as the US, and more importantly, how honest is their reporting? Unless there is a way to conduct an independent audit, it's impossible to draw any definitive conclusions about how well each country is handling the situation.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In the case of the US, probably, because the US healthcare system is traditionally more comprehensive and honest in its reporting, but what about other countries? Are they testing at the same rate as the US, and more importantly, how honest is their reporting? Unless there is a way to conduct an independent audit, it's impossible to draw any definitive conclusions about how well each country is handling the situation.
    U.S. testing rates have been below the rates in most other developed countries, at least until recently. That is due to poor coordination of resources, discounting the severity of the situation, and Trump's unwillingness to act on the Defense Production Act. I haven't looked at the current testing rates. NY is doing a bang-up job, which is one of the two reasons for their large numbers.

But there is little doubt in my mind that the total reported infections are just a part of the iceberg of infections that are currently undetected throughout the world, including the U.S.

Your statistical friend -

Carpe de Prig

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedmprig View Post
    U.S. testing rates have been below the rates in most other developed countries...
    And how do we know the numbers being reported by other countries are accurate? Is there an independent body that can perform an audit? If not then it would be extremely easy for a government to make itself look good in the eyes of the world by gaming the stats and over reporting the number of tests performed and under reporting the number of confirmed cases.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And how do we know the numbers being reported by other countries are accurate?
    We don't. No "rates" are 100% accurate. They are the best picture available with the available data. No one can prove "100% accurate," especially in the midst of a crisis.

Is there an independent body that can perform an audit?
    Nope

If not then it would be extremely easy for a government to make itself look good in the eyes of the world by gaming the stats and over reporting the number of tests performed and under reporting the number of confirmed cases.
    Yes, it would. I'm sure some countries (e.g., China) are. I believe most developed countries are not. You may think otherwise if you wish.

Your earnest nemesis -

Carpe de Prig