Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zara View Post
    You mean he lied, multiple times, blatantly, and didn't actually do the things that were needed. Yeah, we get it. He failed. Next.

Trying to get people to calm down and stop panicking is "lying." Just like he was "lying" when he joked about not having touched his face in a week which caused many of those afflicted with TDS to lose it (though to their credit many in the MSM did recognize this was an obvious joke).

Still, not surprised it didn't work since telling people to calm down when they're panicking rarely if ever works though.

Seeming a contradiction with your first paragraph, he was telling everyone about the risks while telling them there was no risk. Well done. An executive order that has nothing to do with the crisis, nothing. He failed. Next.
    Trying to get folks to calm down instead of panicking is hardly a contradiction to trying to prevent this sort of thing

And yeah, trying to get us to start producing our own vaccines to help in just this sort of event "has nothing to do with" this. Go on, pull the other one.

I actually read the opinion piece from the person he effectively fired, Beth Cameron as its Senior Director, when the White House's National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense, was dismantled in 2018. I don't know what everone else is talking about, however, this tool, which was set up to combat situations like this following the Ebola epidemic, was removed. I don't really see how that was a 'genius' move, do you?
    The pandemic response unit's functions were moved from the White House to other departments or agencies which is why fact checkers who are anything but pro-Trump have called this out as being misleading at best. Moreover, Dr. Luciana Borio -- the actual former Head of Biodefense and Preparedness at the National Security Council -- was on CNN's At This Hour where she contradicted much of this (much to the dismay of the show's host Kate Bolduan). Apparently this was not a permanent program and was slated for termination.

Nice source. You do realize that in response to a lawsuit last year she declared that people should not take what is said on her show as being factual.

ETA:
    Massive failure. Is what happened. Not 'missteps'. I'm not really interested in your whataboutism, what matters is the person in charge, their lack of leadership in the US, and frankly, on the global stage. Guess why.
    Pointing out that those who criticize Trump's responses are saying that they would have largely done the same thing (except leave our borders wide open and hiring someone who says we should die when we reach 75) is not whataboutism but showing that they agree with the measures that he's taken

And btw, you are the one suffering from TDS. You're deranged that you think this guy should be steering. If you haven't noticed, in your little bubble, the rest of the world thinks he shouldn't be there.
    Nice response

Last edited by rogue06; 03-15-2020, 06:32 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Trying to get people to calm down and stop panicking is "lying." Just like he was "lying" when he joked about not having touched his face in a week which caused many of those afflicted with TDS to lose it (though to their credit many in the MSM did recognize this was an obvious joke).

Still, not surprised it didn't work since telling people to calm down when they're panicking rarely if ever works though.
      Saying there are tests available, when there aren't, is lying. Here is what a top health professional said about the US's preparations:

"The system is not really geared to what we need right now -- what you are asking for. This is a failing. It is a failing. Let’s admit it," Anthony Fauci, director of the NIH National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said. "The idea of anybody getting it easily the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes. But we’re not."

Here is what Trump has been saying: "Anybody that wants a test can get a test. That’s what the bottom line is,” with additional bull being spouted a few days later, “Frankly, the testing has been going very smooth.” He added: “We have heavily tested.” They hadn't and literally couldn't.

Telling people that there could be a problem, that preperations are under way, is not. The preparations were insufficient and late. Stock market crashed, no biggie. Enjoy the explosion of cases and deaths, it'll be fine. I don't actually want that, in case it isn't obvious.

Trying to get folks to calm down instead of panicking is hardly a contradiction to trying to prevent this sort of thing

And yeah, trying to get us to start producing our own vaccines to help in just this sort of event "has nothing to do with" this. Go on, pull the other one.
      What kind of event is that, one where a vaccine, which is a good year away (always), will be useful for? Irrelevant.

he pandemic response unit's functions were moved from the White House to other departments or agencies which is why fact checkers who are anything but pro-Trump have called this out as being misleading at best. Moreover, Dr. Luciana Borio -- the actual former Head of Biodefense and Preparedness at the National Security Council -- was on CNN's At This Hour where she contradicted much of this (much to the dismay of the show's host Kate Bolduan). Apparently this was not a permanent program and was slated for termination.
      What's misleading about it, a programme that was required for this situation - doesn't exist. When it existed. It was slated for termination, by this administration. Since there has basically been no response, the move killed it.

Nice source. You do realize that in response to a lawsuit last year she declared that people should not take what is said on her show as being factual.
      Not really sure if that's a winner. The AP fact checker said Trump wanted to cut CDC funding, but was foiled by Congress. So, while it never happened the intent was to cut it, his divine leadership in action.

Pointing out that those who criticize Trump's responses are saying that they would have largely done the same thing (except leave our borders wide open and hiring someone who says we should die when we reach 75) is not whataboutism but showing that they agree with the measures that he's taken.
      Enjoy what comes.
      Last edited by Zara; 03-15-2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Saying there are tests available, when there aren't, is lying. Here is what a top health professional said about the US's preparations:

"The system is not really geared to what we need right now -- what you are asking for. This is a failing. It is a failing. Let’s admit it," Anthony Fauci, director of the NIH National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said. "The idea of anybody getting it easily the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes. But we’re not."

Here is what Trump has been saying: "Anybody that wants a test can get a test. That’s what the bottom line is,” with additional bull being spouted a few days later, “Frankly, the testing has been going very smooth.” He added: “We have heavily tested.” They hadn't and literally couldn't.

Telling people that there could be a problem, that preperations are under way, is not. The preparations were insufficient and late. Stock market crashed, no biggie. Enjoy the explosion of cases and deaths, it'll be fine. I don't actually want that, in case it isn't obvious.

What kind of event is that, one where a vaccine, which is a good year away (always), will be useful for? Irrelevant.

What's misleading about it, a programme that was required for this situation - doesn't exist. When it existed. It was slated for termination, by this administration. Since there has basically been no response, the move killed it.

Not really sure if that's a winner. The AP fact checker said Trump wanted to cut CDC funding, but was foiled by Congress. So, while it never happened the intent was to cut it, his divine leadership in action.

Enjoy what comes.
        “I HATE TRUMP!!!”

Feel better now?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Both you and shuny seem unwilling to address any of the posts that offer evidence that contradicts your narrative. Sure Trump tried to stem the panic that was sweeping the country being stoked by the MSM since panic never is productive and in fact exacerbates any situation making it much worse. His attempt failed. It was sort of like trying to use a broom to sweep back the sea.

But to say or imply that Trump didn't care or didn't understand the severity of the problem is not supported by the facts. He was warning us about this in January only to be mocked by folks just like you and shuny. Even earlier he signed Executive Order 13887.

But the TDS crowd studious ignores things like that and instead continues to push terminally debunked myths like he hamstrung the CDC and criticizing him for rejecting test kits that provided a false negative rate of 30% which are worse than useless since nearly a third of those tested who are infected with the coronavirus will be told they don't have it (and it was actually the CDC that rejected them not Trump).

Sure, not everything he's done has been perfect. There have been missteps. But I seriously doubt that any of the Democrats would have done any better. In fact Biden's proposals appear to have been directly plagiarized (something he has a history of doing) from what Trump has already done and proposed. In fact the major difference between them is that Biden wouldn't support any travel bans. And his naming a guy to his team of experts who thinks we should die at 75 doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.
          When you use a manure shotgun including references to Clinton and misleading citation concerning the news it is easy to not keep track of your posts.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            We know something is severely wrong when our media and politicians are trying to take political stands when there is a potential pandemic at hand. Hopefully, the people will rise above petty issues.
            Yes, it is hopeful that the people will rise above the pettiness and neglect of the country by Trump.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

So then, why have you chosen to ignore any and all posts that directly address your O.P.? Inability? Unwillingness? Both?
              To all Trump worshipers.

t is your whining we have to deal with, and avoiding the subject of the thread.

Frank

Comment

So instead of addressing the posts that directly responded to your OP like you demanded you choose to mutter to yourself.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                  Meanwhile, the UK: we can't stop it, so let's have it infect everyone.

Ditto Germany, also Japan. It's not actually that serious.
                  It is serious in both countries.

Frank

Comment

Both you and shuny seem unwilling to address any of the posts that offer evidence that contradicts your narrative. Sure Trump tried to stem the panic that was sweeping the country being stoked by the MSM since panic never is productive and in fact exacerbates any situation making it much worse. His attempt failed. It was sort of like trying to use a broom to sweep back the sea.

But to say or imply that Trump didn't care or didn't understand the severity of the problem is not supported by the facts. He was warning us about this in January only to be mocked by folks just like you and shuny. Even earlier he signed Executive Order 13887.

But the TDS crowd studious ignores things like that and instead continues to push terminally debunked myths like he hamstrung the CDC and criticizing him for rejecting test kits that provided a false negative rate of 30% which are worse than useless since nearly a third of those tested who are infected with the coronavirus will be told they don't have it (and it was actually the CDC that rejected them not Trump).

Sure, not everything he's done has been perfect. There have been missteps. But I seriously doubt that any of the Democrats would have done any better. In fact Biden's proposals appear to have been directly plagiarized (something he has a history of doing) from what Trump has already done and proposed. In fact the major difference between them is that Biden wouldn't support any travel bans. And his naming a guy to his team of experts who thinks we should die at 75 doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.
                    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    When you use a manure shotgun including references to Clinton and misleading citation concerning the news it is easy to not keep track of your posts.
                    And yet again you just avoided addressing any posts that directly deal with your OP like the this one and choose instead to whine.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      See the post directly above which clearly exposes your disconnect with reality.

You are increasingly becoming the Joe Biden of tweb

Comment

Idiots were rejoicing that the bureaucracy was fighting against Trump because 'otherwise Drumpf would be Hitler'. If and when the dung hits the fan, they'll be begging Trump to declare emergency, and take control. They're already halfway there.
                        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Following the Chinese lead? And it looks like one of them was slapped up with no concern for structural integrity resulting in it collapsing (that story is a week out of date, the last I heard is the death toll was 29 -- and that was three days ago)

Haven't you heard of temporary emergency structures? This is a new policy of the Democrat party

Comment

You are increasingly becoming the Joe Biden of tweb

Joe Biden is most definitely not my choice.

Frank

Comment

Some one objected to my reference that Donald Trump held a fundraiser with the danger of infection from the Coronavirus, which indeed di happen. Someone responded that well . . . ah Biden and Sanders did the same thing. The reality is no they did not.

Source: https://deadline.com/2020/03/coronavirus-joe-biden-fundraiser-1202881069/

L.A. Democratic Activists Plan Video Conference Fundraiser With Joe Biden As Campaigns Cancel Events Over Coronavirus Concerns

As presidential campaigns cancel rallies and other in-person events, a group of Los Angeles backers of Joe Biden are planning a video conference fundraiser with the former VP later this month, a twist on the typical gathering of donors in a cocktail party atmosphere.

Public affairs strategist Mathew Littman, political consultant Stephanie Daily Smith and producer Julie Hermelin are among those planning the event. Littman said that Biden has agreed to do the virtual gathering, although no specific date has been set. Tickets will be priced at $1,000 each, with a maximum of 50 people.

With the spread of the coronavirus and widespread cancelations of public events, there is concern that it also will limit candidate travel and fundraising activities, given that it usually means crowds of 100 or more interacting with the candidate. Biden’s event last week at the home of Sherry Lansing drew more than 300 attendees.

© Copyright Original Source

While Trump . . .

Source: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/15/trumps-florida-sanctuary-coronavirus-130787

Trump’s Florida sanctuary becomes a gilded petri dish for a global disease

The dark cloud over Mar-a-Lago, where Trump often spends holidays and hosts foreign leaders, threatens to mar its reputation as a social destination for elites after a mountain of headlines about an invisible disease spreading through the complex.

The sprawling 20-acre estate sits along the Atlantic Ocean in ritzy Palm Beach, surrounded by some of the most exclusive addresses in America. Trump bought the pink stucco property — built by heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post nearly a century ago — for a reported $8 million in 1985 and turned it into a private club by adding a giant gold ballroom and amenities like a dining room, pool, and spa to cater to the elite. Dreamed up by Joseph Urban, who designed Ziegfeld Follies, the mansion is an ode to the Roaring 20s, with an interior that resembles Norma Desmond’s old Hollywood mansion in “Sunset Boulevard.”

Members can dine at the beach club or on the patio, and on weekends when Trump is in town, be entertained by the action of a presidential entourage and annoyed by the increase in security. The quintessential host, Trump is known to hold court in the club going from member to member to chit-chat. The ballroom is a regular venue for fundraisers on the Palm Beach charity circuit, a place where visitors in designer garb and jewels can dance under the giant chandeliers and wealthy members and their guests can sunbathe under yellow striped umbrellas at the outdoor pool.

Mar-a-Lago becoming the scene of an international virus outbreak has spooked some members of the club, where membership goes for $200,000 a year.

George Guido Lombardi, a longtime club member and Trump supporter, said he was at Mar-a-Lago on Saturday during the Brazilians’ visit, and does not plan to return any time soon.

“Since that day I didn’t go back there,” Lombardi said. “And at least for the next few weeks I do not intend to go back there.”

Splashed across the front of the Sunday Palm Beach Post was the headline, “Four Mar-a-Lago visitors test positive.” And the front page of one of Florida’s biggest newspapers, the Miami Herald, read: “A member of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club delivered a letter requesting a summit with Brazil’s Jair Bolsonaro. The meeting ended up inadvertently exposing Trump and others to the coronavirus.”

While the club remains open, an email was sent out to members describing best practices with the coronavirus.

When asked about Mar-a-Lago’s exposure to the virus, Eric Trump, executive vice president of the Trump Organization, said in a statement to POLITICO: “The safety of our members and guests are of our utmost importance. We are monitoring all of our businesses closely and are following the guidelines provided by the CDC.”

Despite the mounting attention, some members were still carrying on at the club. Jeff Greene, a Palm Beach real estate mogul and former member, had lunch with friends at the Beach Club on Saturday and noted it was “packed.”

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-16-2020, 08:58 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                                Idiots were rejoicing that the bureaucracy was fighting against Trump because 'otherwise Drumpf would be Hitler'. If and when the dung hits the fan, they'll be begging Trump to declare emergency, and take control. They're already halfway there.
                                Morons: 'Noooooo, Trump is ignoring State Department and following his own policy! Damn Trump!!!!!!!!!!! '
                                Same morons: 'Nooooooooooooo, Trump is following CDC advice! Damn Trump!!!!!!!!!!!'
                                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment