Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    What you fail to appreciate, MM, and on a regular basis, is that the words of the president of the United States are an action. They motivate. They set example. They can intimidate. They are used to justify actions. With the power of the executive office comes responsibility. Every time Trump lies, he communicates "it's OK to lie." Every time he bullies and name-calls, he communicates "it's OK to bully and name call." Every time he vindictively reacts to a criticism, he communicates "nobody should have to accept criticism and it's OK to attack and get even if you receive some." This is intrinsic to the office and pretty much always has been.

This is why it will take us years, if not decades, to undo the harm this one man has caused in 3+ years of holding office. My greatest concern, should he be returned to office in November, is that whatever governor the need to win re-election had on his words and actions in the past 3+ years will disappear entirely, and the damage will escalate for another 4 years. That is the primary reason this man needs to be removed from office, IMO.

ETA: We should never accept from people in office behavior we would not permit in our children. Ask yourself, if my son lied - would I say "that's OK?" or would I call them on it. If my son starts referring to their schoolmates with disparaging nicknames "Sleepy Joe," and "Crooked Hillary" and so forth, do you clap them on the back and say "well done!" or do you call them on it? If you son sets off on a campaign of getting even with anyone that says something he doesn't like, especially personal criticism, do you say "you go, son!" or do you explain the importance of critical feedback? When your son makes every statement about how great he is, do you say, "yes indeed - you ARE awesome," or do you suggest that perhaps they should loo around for others to praise? No president is expected to be perfect - but there is "imperfect" and there is "fatally flawed." Mr. Trump is about as flawed as they come, excepting only "doing physical violence" (though he has encouraged it in others).
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

What you fail to appreciate, MM, and on a regular basis, is that the words of the president of the United States are an action.
      Not really. I asked before, if Trump says, "I want to do X!" where X is some action that you happen to disagree with, but he never actually does X, then what's the problem?

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      This is why it will take us years, if not decades, to undo the harm this one man has caused in 3+ years of holding office.
      You guys are bonkers!
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Not really. I asked before, if Trump says, "I want to do X!" where X is some action that you happen to disagree with, but he never actually does X, then what's the problem?
        NVM, MM. You have already more than demonstrated either a lack of ability to understand, or a complete contempt for what most people would consider "moral" action.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        You guys are bonkers!
        Oh yeah...it's definitely us that are bonkers...
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Okay... and what has Trump actually done?
          For one, encourage the demonstrators in some states demanding that mitigation measures end.

Comment

• Did you all see the Nancy Pelosi Ice-Cream ad?

Ouch!

Comment

• Wow, and THAT is a powerful case of denial if I ever saw it!
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Wow, and THAT is a powerful case of denial if I ever saw it!
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Did you all see the Nancy Pelosi Ice-Cream ad?

Ouch!

Trump is a master at this. Trump's going use all those millions he raised to churn out all kinds of ads like that. Wait until he churns out the ad about Biden groping women. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually gets Tara to testify on screen about how she was sexually raped while they show Biden groping all those women in the background. It's going to be bru-tal.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    Trump is a master at this. Trump's going use all those millions he raised to churn out all kinds of ads like that. Wait until he churns out the ad about Biden groping women. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually gets Tara to testify on screen about how she was sexually raped while they show Biden groping all those women in the background. It's going to be bru-tal.
                    And the Democrats will hit him with ad after ad featuring his own words and his own hypocrisy. Trump's base will remain loyal. The never Trumper's will remain steadfast. What remains to see is what happens to the moderates and independents.

But I have no clue why Pelosi agreed to that ridiculous interview. She should have known better showing off her expensive kitchen in the middle of a crisis. But the ad also shows the willingness of Trump and his campaign to take statements out of context to spin them to their desired effect. Pelosi wasn't objecting to the $250B - she was objecting to the 48 hour timetable for making the deal.

Frankly, I think the entire "throw money at it" model being exhibited stinks to high heaven. Once again, we rob future generations so the current generation is not inconvenienced.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• I watched FRONTLINE tonight, as it unrolled the tragic story begining in Washington State of the disastrous way the US government failed to respond an buggled everything that possibly resulting doubling the fatalities in the USA. it was a blow by blow account of how Trump failed to Provide the leadership in Trump's own words, and the documented history.

Putting this in perspective with the post on the detailed communication between WHO and the US government. Trump and his administration knew in detail the disastrous consequences of the pandemic, and failed totally to respond.

Source: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/frontlines-first-major-documentary-on-covid-19-premieres-tonight/

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-21-2020, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I have no clue why Pelosi agreed to that ridiculous interview.
                        Because she doesn't give a damn about the average US citizen. She's your typical limousine liberal.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          Source: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/frontlines-first-major-documentary-on-covid-19-premieres-tonight/

Coronavirus Pandemic traces the halting federal response, identifying early warnings and missed opportunities to potentially save lives as the outbreak spread...

© Copyright Original Source

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? Everybody can pretend they would have totally made different decisions, but they wouldn't have. What might seem obvious now wasn't necessarily obvious at the time, and the same people who condemned Trump's early response are now hypocritically claiming he didn't act soon enough.

Comment

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? Everybody can pretend they would have totally made different decisions, but they wouldn't have. What might seem obvious now wasn't necessarily obvious at the time, and the same people who condemned Trump's early response are now hypocritically claiming he didn't act soon enough.
                            It was not hindsight at all. It documented in detail that Trump knew details blow by blow the whole history of the COVID19 Pandemic as it unfolded in China, and beginning in Washington State quoting trump accurately and specifically, and his lack of leadership minimizing the pandemic through its whole history. His argument has always been economy first, and human lives second or more likely last in consideration.

National leadership, and priorities, leadership and priorities, and ah . . . leadership and priorities.

Remember he did not want to control vaping because it would hurt the economy.

Comment

Because she doesn't give a damn about the average US citizen. She's your typical limousine liberal.
                              She's such a personification of Marie Antoinette here it's scary.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                It was not hindsight at all. It documented in detail that Trump knew details blow by blow the whole history of the COVID19 Pandemic as it unfolded in China, and beginning in Washington State quoting trump accurately and specifically...
                                And all analyzed with the benefit of hindsight.

Comment