Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

On "Closing Church"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FB_IMG_1584593280275.jpg
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
      I think everyone should stay home.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...512_story.html
      The Imperial College London group reported that if nothing was done by governments and individuals and the pandemic remained uncontrolled, 510,000 would die in Britain and 2.2 million in the United States over the course of the outbreak.

These kinds of numbers are deeply concerning for countries with top-drawer health-care systems. They are terrifying for less-developed countries, global health experts say.

If Britain and the United States pursued more-ambitious measures to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus, to slow but not necessarily stop the epidemic over the coming few months, they could reduce mortality by half, to 260,000 people in the United Kingdom and 1.1 million in the United States.
      When Juvie starts citing a news source other than his beloved New York Times you know it's serious.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I checked my county, as best as I could this evening. They declared an emergency but did not seem to require companies to stop having workers go to the office. (It is possible the companies were notified by mail -- but there still was no official restrictions listed on county websites.) The isolation seems unreasonable ... but maybe could be adhered to in counties that require it. (The option, of course, is to meet where there are no restrictions.)

Maybe the general recommendation could stand that people who are not in good health during flu/coronavirus season should have some distance from people in church who are coughing or sneezing. Otherwise, continue with life (and gatherings) as normal -- or with mild adaptations.

I'm still curious where church organizations got the idea to skip services.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          That's my heart on this.
          The Ecumenical Patriarch just shut everything down until April. Churches will be open at the usual time, but only for private prayer.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

We had our meeting last night in the sanctuary as planned - we had 10 people spread out in an auditorium that seats 250.

I was never so pleased to see such a small crowd.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We had our meeting last night in the sanctuary as planned - we had 10 people spread out in an auditorium that seats 250.

I was never so pleased to see such a small crowd.
              And, now our mayor has decreed no meetings of 10 or more, so Sunday Morning will need to be online only. Working on that (have been).
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And, now our mayor has decreed no meetings of 10 or more, so Sunday Morning will need to be online only. Working on that (have been).
                You could do a facebook live broadcast to your church's facebook page. Then it would also be recorded for later viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  You could do a facebook live broadcast to your church's facebook page. Then it would also be recorded for later viewing.
                  Just did a test from my own Facebook. It wasn't totally disastrous.

Comment

If this goes on for 18 months as some have now suggested, at some point, I do believe the church will need to start meeting together as a corporate body. I think we see hints in Scripture of how distance communication is not as good as in person communication, as hinted by Paul talking about how he would much rather be able to converse in person with his correspondents. I don't agree with those few Christians who suggest that not meeting for several weeks reflects a lack of faith/belief in God's sovereignty, but this can't become the new normal.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Just did a test from my own Facebook. It wasn't totally disastrous.
                      I think you can do a live broadcast through youtube.com too. I have sometimes looked for broadcasts through facebook and could not find them.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        The Ecumenical Patriarch just shut everything down until April. Churches will be open at the usual time, but only for private prayer.
                        Update: Services are minimally restored - meaning the priest and a few people necessary to run the services will hold them behind closed doors; all others are instructed to stay home and watch over the internet (not all parishes can stream services, but the cathedral service as been live streamed for years).
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          I think you can do a live broadcast through youtube.com too. I have sometimes looked for broadcasts through facebook and could not find them.
                          I think we'll do the Facebook Live thing, then save that to our Youtube Channel. Still working on connecting an external mic (or soundboard input) to the iPad itself.

(yeah, using iPad rather than iPhone)

Comment

This Sunday is our first. Three.church locations all livestreaming throughout the day.
                            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I got to watch CP's sermon!

It was a great message CP. I would love to watch every week.

Some technical notes:
                              1. The video was low res (360P)
                              2. The picture showed a steady flickering.
                              3. Your mic sounded muffled compared to everyone else's - less treble, too much bass and a bit quieter.

I watched it on my HDTV!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I got to watch CP's sermon!

It was a great message CP. I would love to watch every week.

Some technical notes:
                                1. The video was low res (360P)
                                2. The picture showed a steady flickering.
                                3. Your mic sounded muffled compared to everyone else's - less treble, too much bass and a bit quieter.

I watched it on my HDTV!
                                Where is it available?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment