Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

On "Closing Church"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    yeah I forgot to mention the 60hz hum. sounds like a grounding problem.
    Yeah, did I mention it was working PERFECTLY Saturday night, and our volunteer tech guys decided to "tweak" it Sunday Morning?

But, yeah -- I had an older fella who has been telling me for MONTHS that he can hear everybody just fine except me --- this was the first time I was actually able to hear my audio compared to somebody else on the platform, so, yeah --- we're gonna get that fixed.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
      Good job, preacher! The audio was fine, and if folks hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have noticed the flicker.

(Six foot distances would be better.)

Thanks for doing your part!
      Thank you, sir, and we had the six foot distances worked out, til James decided to sit next to me behind the pulpit!

That won't happen again. (He had his own little pew-ette like Jim did, but I guess he felt lonely over there)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'd be interested in watching as well.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          PM'd ya. I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Thank you, sir!
            Welcome. And now you've got a whole week to figure out how to control a couple extra cams! The wide view is great for setting a mood, but you'll want one for close-up on the pulpit during your sermon, and one for the piano for her solos.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              (A long time back, the preacher posted a memorial to a member who'd passed. The obit mentioned his name, so I PM'd him to see if that's what he was planning. He changed the post, but I remembered the name ... which is kinda surprising. I figure the only reason I remember my own is people won't stop using it on me.)

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                Welcome. And now you've got a whole week to figure out how to control a couple extra cams! The wide view is great for setting a mood, but you'll want one for close-up on the pulpit during your sermon, and one for the piano for her solos.

Good luck!
                Working on that, but cameras on Amazon are about a month and a half out, radio shack has ZERO, best buy has only WiFi ones..... but, yeah, if nothing else, we'll have a zoomed in shot and move the camera.

I wanted to AVOID moving the camera because, in the past, volunteers seem to think they're not doing their job if they're not CONSTANTLY panning and tilting and zooming in and out --- it is SO distracting.

It may take a couple weeks to get it right, but we're moving in that direction, and will continue livestreaming even after this crisis is over.

Already ordered some decent PZT cameras, but, as I said, they're about 6 weeks out.

ETA: The redhead playing the piano is my daughter, and one of the "suggestions" I got was to have her stop playing with her hair during my sermon.

There's really no reason to have everybody remain on the stage - I think the idea was simply to show that there were multiple people, but I think the audience is smart enough to figure that out even if we're not all on the stage at the same time.
                Last edited by Cow Poke; 03-24-2020, 06:49 AM.

Comment

One of the things I noticed about other churches going online for the first time was that there was a major emphasis on setting up "online giving". I really didn't want to do that, because I thought it seemed tacky*. I mentioned that at our last "in person" service, and the next day, one of our men stopped by the office with a SIGNIFICANT check that took that burden off me.

Then he presented me ANOTHER check twice the amount of the first one, and said "use this at your discretion". Quite honestly, if NOBODY ELSE gave the rest of the year, we meet budget!

This is a man who has been very generous in the past, and never even HINTS that he wants special treatment or ANYTHING in return, and wishes to stay anonymous.

*some of our people already do online giving, but I didn't want that to be one of the first things I had to talk about in our streaming service - eventually we'll add that to our website for convenience, but I didn't want to look like we were "doing it for the money".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Working on that, but cameras on Amazon are about a month and a half out, radio shack has ZERO, best buy has only WiFi ones..... but, yeah, if nothing else, we'll have a zoomed in shot and move the camera.

I wanted to AVOID moving the camera because, in the past, volunteers seem to think they're not doing their job if they're not CONSTANTLY panning and tilting and zooming in and out --- it is SO distracting.
                    Volunteers are awesome. If they're doing great, you can offer them twice the pay. When they screw up, you can threaten to take it away.

ETA: The redhead playing the piano is my daughter, and one of the "suggestions" I got was to have her stop playing with her hair during my sermon.

There's really no reason to have everybody remain on the stage - I think the idea was simply to show that there were multiple people, but I think the audience is smart enough to figure that out even if we're not all on the stage at the same time.
                    There's not much reason to do it from the church building, I'm thinking. In fact, shooting from home could send an encouraging message that they should be staying home as much as possible, too. I'm seeing that from a lot of journalists, now.

Some hair was born to be played with. Tell that young lady with the lovely hair I said, "You go, girl!" You got a piano at the homestead?

And speaking o' ... two Orientation Sessions today, and the first one will be starting in 20 minutes.

Comment

• Brother Dave's Audience while preaching...

paper people.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                        Volunteers are awesome. If they're doing great, you can offer them twice the pay. When they screw up, you can threaten to take it away.
                        MOST of the time, our volunteers have been awesome.

There's not much reason to do it from the church building, I'm thinking. In fact, shooting from home could send an encouraging message that they should be staying home as much as possible, too. I'm seeing that from a lot of journalists, now.
                        I'll probably do the "midweek" stuff from my home office, but there's something about having the music and piano "at the church" which is much more conducive to social distancing than "home".

Some hair was born to be played with. Tell that young lady with the lovely hair I said, "You go, girl!" You got a piano at the homestead?

And speaking o' ... two Orientation Sessions today, and the first one will be starting in 20 minutes.
                        Best to ya!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          MOST of the time, our volunteers have been awesome.
                          In that case, you should double their pay, again!

Best to ya!
                          First session this morning is my Calc 2 kids, all eleven of them, none of whom have shown up for an orientation session so far ... opes, there's Ryan! Later.

Comment

One of the things I noticed about other churches going online for the first time was that there was a major emphasis on setting up "online giving". I really didn't want to do that, because I thought it seemed tacky*. I mentioned that at our last "in person" service, and the next day, one of our men stopped by the office with a SIGNIFICANT check that took that burden off me.

Then he presented me ANOTHER check twice the amount of the first one, and said "use this at your discretion". Quite honestly, if NOBODY ELSE gave the rest of the year, we meet budget!

This is a man who has been very generous in the past, and never even HINTS that he wants special treatment or ANYTHING in return, and wishes to stay anonymous.

*some of our people already do online giving, but I didn't want that to be one of the first things I had to talk about in our streaming service - eventually we'll add that to our website for convenience, but I didn't want to look like we were "doing it for the money".
                            Did I mention that there's a little package on the way to you as of Friday?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yeah, did I mention it was working PERFECTLY Saturday night, and our volunteer tech guys decided to "tweak" it Sunday Morning?

But, yeah -- I had an older fella who has been telling me for MONTHS that he can hear everybody just fine except me --- this was the first time I was actually able to hear my audio compared to somebody else on the platform, so, yeah --- we're gonna get that fixed.
                              I couldn't really tell the difference on my phone speaker, but when I put it up on my HDTV and surround system, it was obvious that your audio was lower volume and sounded muffled. The others sounded fine. I noticed they had hand held mics and you were using what, a lapel mic?

I turned up the volume so I could hear you better and that's when I noticed the hum.

But I have to say, overall it was great. I have always wanted to see you in action! I hope you continue this even after the crisis is over. It would be like I was part of your congregation! Also great for others who can't get out because of restrictions or disabilities. And a great way to archive your sermons.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                                Did I mention that there's a little package on the way to you as of Friday?
                                YAY!!!!!! God Bless!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X