Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can We Hate China Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    I have no problem stigmatizing the Chinese for their horrible food handling practices. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...hey-might-pose
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Hey People: It's China's Fault!

So no, I have no problem calling it the Chinese flu, since it is...

Researchers in the population mapping group WorldPop ran complex modelling, using anonymised data on both human movement and illness onset, to help simulate different outbreak scenarios for cities in mainland China. This allowed them to understand how variations in the timing, level and combinations of interventions affect speed and transmission of the disease.

Findings are available in a preprint paper on medRxiv website.1

The study estimates that by the end of February 2020 there was a total of 114, 325 COVID-19 cases in China. It shows that without non-pharmaceutical interventions – such as early detection, isolation of cases, travel restrictions and cordon sanitaire – the number of infected people would have been 67 times larger than that which actually occurred.

The research also found that if interventions in the country could have been conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks earlier, cases could have been reduced by 66 percent, 86 percent and 95 percent respectively – significantly limiting the geographical spread of the disease. However, if NPIs were conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks later than they were, the number of cases may have shown a 3-fold, 7-fold, or 18-fold increase, respectively.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2...-19-china.page
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

However, if NPIs were conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks later than they were, the number of cases may have shown a 3-fold, 7-fold, or 18-fold increase, respectively.
        You can always trust a communist to do the right thing after they've gulagged everybody else.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

So no, I have no problem calling it the Chinese flu, since it is...

Researchers in the population mapping group WorldPop ran complex modelling, using anonymised data on both human movement and illness onset, to help simulate different outbreak scenarios for cities in mainland China. This allowed them to understand how variations in the timing, level and combinations of interventions affect speed and transmission of the disease.

Findings are available in a preprint paper on medRxiv website.1

The study estimates that by the end of February 2020 there was a total of 114, 325 COVID-19 cases in China. It shows that without non-pharmaceutical interventions – such as early detection, isolation of cases, travel restrictions and cordon sanitaire – the number of infected people would have been 67 times larger than that which actually occurred.

The research also found that if interventions in the country could have been conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks earlier, cases could have been reduced by 66 percent, 86 percent and 95 percent respectively – significantly limiting the geographical spread of the disease. However, if NPIs were conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks later than they were, the number of cases may have shown a 3-fold, 7-fold, or 18-fold increase, respectively.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2...-19-china.page
          So, I guess it isn't a hoax after all. (a reference to our Presidents approach to the epidemic a few weeks ago.

"The study also found that improved disease detection, isolation of cases, social distancing, are likely to have far greater impact than travel restrictions." Hmmm, did that come up before?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
            So, I guess it isn't a hoax after all. (a reference to our Presidents approach to the epidemic a few weeks ago.
            Where did Trump call the virus a hoax?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              It has an official scientific name derived of the virus itself, which I'm sure you know by now is corona or covid-19. Trump continuously calling it the chinese virus is purposeful stigmatization of a race of people.
              Gee we call foods that originate from china Chinese food is that racist and wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Ebola is not a people, west nile and rocky mountain is not a people.
                Wuhan is a province and not a people any more than the Rocky Mountains is.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If I were Trump I would probably go out of my way to say it just because I think most people see it as a truly stupid thing to argue over and it's truly unlikely to hurt him, and any attention on this is attention away from his initial poor response
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What is wrong with calling it Wuhan or China virus? We still call it Lyme disease, and kept using the terms Bird flu and Swine flu even though we had technical names. And I have no problem stigmatizing the Chinese for their horrible food handling practices. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...hey-might-pose
                    I'm far more concerned with how the Chinese government (which the Chinese people at large have little or no control over) concealed and even destroyed evidence before being forced to finally fess up and admit there was a serious problem. And even after their conduct changed very little.

So maybe we should start referring to it as the Chicom coronavirus given the government's culpability.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I'm far more concerned with how the Chinese government (which the Chinese people at large have little or no control over) concealed and even destroyed evidence before being forced to finally fess up and admit there was a serious problem. And even after their conduct changed very little.

So maybe we should start referring to it as the Chicom coronavirus given the government's culpability.
                      I don't know, it is not the government making the people eat raw snakes and bats.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        And what about the fact that the liberal media was calling it the "Wuhan virus" and the "Chinese coronavirus" for weeks and only got their nose out of joint when Trump followed suit and used the common name? Apparently it only became racist when Trump did it.
                        The MSM quite literally declared what they had been doing in abundance for weeks (I've previously linked to a video showing dozens of instances) to be racist and xenophobic immediately after Trump referred to it as a "foreign" disease (which is factually correct) and the Chinese coronavirus.

And what happened when Trump fielded questions from the MSM after announcing the release of a number of drugs with the potential for treating the disease and maybe slowing the transmission? What sort of questions did he get? Someone asking whether it was true that someone in his Administration once referred to it as "Kung flu."

That was their priority. And that is why increasingly more and more Americans are tuning them out.
                        Last edited by rogue06; 03-19-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I said, in parentheses, that hoax was his approach to the epidemic a few weeks ago. He spent weeks downplaying it.

He was not treating it seriously, when confirmed cases of community spread were confirmed, Trump relied on his scientific hunch that the WHO was overplaying the gravity; at the end of February, " So far we have lost nobody to coronavirus in the US, you wonder, the press is in hysteria mode. CNN, fake news", Trump later in the speech called the Democrats criticism of the administrations preparations, "their new hoax". Seems the Dem criticism were appropriate.

What was the administration's pandemic plan? What was Trump doing at the time your OP highlights as critical to save lives?

At the beginning of this week, mid March, Trump started taking it seriously instead of calling the governor of Washington a snake. The stock market threatened to crash, the idea of Trump's legacy as a great stock market crash was too much.

Comment

Even Snopes, which is anything but pro-Trump, has called it bovine scat.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              And that is why increasingly more and more Americans are tuning them out.
                              Except for the oxmixmudd's, JimL's, and carpedm's in the world who have such an irrational dislike of Trump that they will happily accept and repeat any "news" report that criticizes him, even if that criticism is specious
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Moderated By: Chaotic Void

Don't mind me, folks. Just merged a couple threads on the same subject.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                                Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment