Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can We Hate China Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    You realize that most scientists accept that chickens and hogs are more likely to be the source of zoonotic diseases and a potential pandemic than wild animals? And it also goes two ways, livestock farms restrict humans entering the farms because they fear transmission of disease from humans to animals. Livestock farms practice biosecurity.
    Yet SARS and this latest one come from wild animals.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I live in a heavily Chinese neighborhood. This is news to me.
      I'd like to see a link since a Google check for the words chinese stabbed coronavirus revealed nothing like it. The closest was several stories about Chinese man sentenced to death after fatally stabbing two officials at coronavirus checkpoint in China

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I'd like to see a link since a Google check for the words chinese stabbed coronavirus revealed nothing like it. The closest was several stories about Chinese man sentenced to death after fatally stabbing two officials at coronavirus checkpoint in China
        The thing is everyone knows it came from China, calling it the China virus, or not, does not change that knowledge.
        Last edited by seer; 03-20-2020, 04:13 PM.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          . However, if NPIs were conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks later than they were, the number of cases may have shown a 3-fold, 7-fold, or 18-fold increase, respectively.[/I]
          The US completely delayed NPI as well for weeks, seer. Just about every government, local or national, started off with DTDT, most are still at it.
          Last edited by demi-conservative; 03-21-2020, 05:52 PM.
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
            You realize that most scientists accept that chickens and hogs are more likely to be the source of zoonotic diseases and a potential pandemic than wild animals? And it also goes two ways, livestock farms restrict humans entering the farms because they fear transmission of disease from humans to animals. Livestock farms practice biosecurity.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            Yet SARS and this latest one come from wild animals.
            Yes, I agree. But I would think that you are familiar with the term more likely. I take it that you believe wild animals should not be killed for human consumption, in part because of the disease threat. But the threat from the world's pigs and chickens is probably greater, the USDA and others track the many diseases in farm animals.

Or do you mean Chinese ought not be eating wild animals?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              ^^^^This

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                ^^^^This
                "Often the line between vigilance and fear can get really blurry".

https://www.newyorker.com/news/lette...us-hate-crimes

I don't know the source for that particular crime, but I am not sure that all crimes make national news.

Comment