Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Everyone should stay home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...yeah, I plan on continuing to go to work. I work in infrastructure and I'm married to somebody who works in a pharmacy. These are needed right now.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Evictions are barely the tip of the iceberg with my concerns here. We haven't even factored in food, medical, or transportation issues facing the indefinitely unemployed.
      IIRC Trump has issued a delay on evictions but so far it is very temporary.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm in what is considered a vital industry and often make a lot of public contact.

One of my co-workers, who came back from having breast cancer removed and has low immunity, and I was working in close proximity with, has developed a dry cough. Could well be allergies though[1]

Being I'm in my 60s (not 65 or older just yet), have some diminished lung capacity and a family history of heart disease (on my father's side my grandfather, uncles and dad all died before 60, with my uncles dying at 39 and 49 -- but noone that I'm aware of dying from heart disease that young in my generation[2]), I'm seriously considering self quarantining.

Fortunately my home and car are paid off so I don't have large bills.

Due to an aching back (although I've largely got it to pop back into place) and virtually no sleep I'm calling out this morning and going to decide if I'm going to take a two weeks leave

1. The pollens are starting especially early this year. I've never seen my car covered in pine pollen (which is too big to cause allergies but is indicative of others being present) this early and it was already 80 degrees yesterday.

2. I've got a slew of cousins that I don't know anything about though
        Last edited by rogue06; 03-20-2020, 12:56 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm retired but active. At the moment I'm taking care of my dad's dogs at his house and also kinda helping a friend who's been grounded by her doctor until this blows over.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

...yeah, I plan on continuing to go to work. I work in infrastructure and I'm married to somebody who works in a pharmacy. These are needed right now.
            Yup, and firemen, and police, and utility workers. And folks are still going to need groceries.

I created this thread after reading one too many, "If they're going out, I can too!" posts. And because I'm scared, and I've been scared since I first double-checked the number of digits on my envelope calculations, and triple-checked, and it was still coming out six zeros trailing, millions.

‘We Are Frightened’: U.K. Doctors Brace for a Coronavirus Explosion
            Hospitals will soon be overwhelmed with patients they can’t treat properly, doctors say, because of the British government’s mishandling of the pandemic.
            While mostly praising the N.H.S. and the government’s scientific guidance, doctors bemoan Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s reluctance to slow the spread of the disease through social distancing measures like closing schools and limiting mass gatherings.

And because that's happening here, too.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                Left to its own devices, the peak would occur in about three months, according to the report I included in the o/p.
                But KG was talking about a world quarantine taking 18 months. Not being left to its own devices. If everyone was quarantined right now, anyone infected would resolve in a few weeks. Throw in them infecting other family members, and add in a few weeks for them to resolve. Seems like a month or two would make the virus nearly extinct.

Comment

Yup, and firemen, and police, and utility workers. And folks are still going to need groceries.
                  The one good thing about all this is that the entire country might finally understand that we can survive in a world without celebrities and athletes and that farmers, doctors/nurses, first responders, truckers and grocery store employees are far, far more important than they will ever be.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    But KG was talking about a world quarantine taking 18 months. Not being left to its own devices.
                    There's a lot of information coming at us very quickly. We should expect a bit of garbling on occasion. The 18 months refers to the time expected to develop a vaccine, not to a quarantine, which is no longer possible.

If everyone was quarantined right now, anyone infected would resolve in a few weeks. Throw in them infecting other family members, and add in a few weeks for them to resolve. Seems like a month or two would make the virus nearly extinct.
                    As KG suggests, we still have to shop which means shopkeepers can't be quarantined. People who need food are going to go out. More, the incubation period is estimated around 5 days, with infectiousness beginning 12 hours before any symptoms are apparent. Some of those shoppers will be spreading the virus.

The models used by the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team predict that any break in NPIs (non-pharmaceutical interventions) will cause a rebound in cases. This is expected even in China. Despite imposing the strictest lockdowns, for the longest period, they are once again reporting new local cases (see Table 1).

It's a 20 page report, so a bit of a slog, but it's also the most detailed summary estimate that's been released, so worth the trouble. Or keep on asking questions, and I'll do my best to look up answers.

Comment

Every adult member of my family is involved in "essential" employment - nurses, law enforcement, pharmacy, etc.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I'm in what is considered a vital industry and often make a lot of public contact.

One of my co-workers, who came back from having breast cancer removed and has low immunity, and I was working in close proximity with, has developed a dry cough. Could well be allergies though[1]

Being I'm in my 60s (not 65 or older just yet), have some diminished lung capacity and a family history of heart disease (on my father's side my grandfather, uncles and dad all died before 60, with my uncles dying at 39 and 49 -- but noone that I'm aware of dying from heart disease that young in my generation[2]), I'm seriously considering self quarantining.

Fortunately my home and car are paid off so I don't have large bills.

Due to an aching back (although I've largely got it to pop back into place) and virtually no sleep I'm calling out this morning and going to decide if I'm going to take a two weeks leave

1. The pollens are starting especially early this year. I've never seen my car covered in pine pollen (which is too big to cause allergies but is indicative of others being present) this early and it was already 80 degrees yesterday.

2. I've got a slew of cousins that I don't know anything about though
                        I was scheduled for only a 4 hour shift today and off tomorrow. I'm figuring I'll go in Monday and find out how my co-worker with the dry cough who I was in close proximity to for two days is doing. If she's out sick I'll go back home and self-quarantine. Considering what I do if I'm sick I could quite easily infect hundreds of people.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I was scheduled for only a 4 hour shift today and off tomorrow. I'm figuring I'll go in Monday and find out how my co-worker with the dry cough who I was in close proximity to for two days is doing. If she's out sick I'll go back home and self-quarantine. Considering what I do if I'm sick I could quite easily infect hundreds of people.
                          Good thinking. We all need to act like we could be contagious.

Best wishes, too.

I'm figuring that the folks who are going to be infected are going to be infected, it's just a question of when. Paradoxically, this could be the best time to get sick, before we run out of respirators, before we run out of ICU beds, before we find ourselves with more patients than our limited number of healthcare workers can handle.

Says here, the UK is recalling 65,000 retired doctors and nurses back to service. Considered the age profile, I'd imagine that's going to lead to poor outcomes for those doctors and nurses.

Comment

Good thinking. We all need to act like we could be contagious.

Best wishes, too.

I'm figuring that the folks who are going to be infected are going to be infected, it's just a question of when. Paradoxically, this could be the best time to get sick, before we run out of respirators, before we run out of ICU beds, before we find ourselves with more patients than our limited number of healthcare workers can handle.

Says here, the UK is recalling 65,000 retired doctors and nurses back to service. Considered the age profile, I'd imagine that's going to lead to poor outcomes for those doctors and nurses.

Comment

(snagged from Catholicity's FB page )

nothing.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Every adult member of my family is involved in "essential" employment - nurses, law enforcement, pharmacy, etc.
                                Casual passers by are not much of a risk, but someone that you sit beside for 15 minutes or more is, potentially, because they or you may be asymptomatic.

The spread of the virus is very predictable and while there is not a vaccine, the only things that can stop it are the growth of immunity in survivors and social distancing to limit the spread. It is important that people at work are also thinking about how to avoid infection from their colleagues and while they travel to and from the workplace.

This virus is going to kill quite a lot of people, but it will also leave many survivors with badly damaged lungs.
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X