Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Everyone should stay home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't stay at home.

I have to prepare for a trip across the nation to try to get a package of toilet paper.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      I can't stay at home.

I have to prepare for a trip across the nation to try to get a package of toilet paper.
      An epic quest indeed. One which I'm sure that the bards will be singing about for countless generations to come.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
        Social distancing can't be paused for grocery shopping. Our Wallyworld lets folks order online for pickup. As many as can, should do that.
        So I can eat from my pantry for months, but I've run out of fresh fruit and veggies, so I went looking for a pickup time two days ago. Message was that there are no pickup times available for the next seven days.

So I checked again last night, and lo and behold, a slot was open for today.

Things I couldn't order:

Water
        Pasta
        Flour
        Eggs

We'll see how much of what I did manage to order is fulfilled.

Also, this morning I ordered the refreshed, (bottom-of-the-line) Macbook Air (with no upgrades except AppleCare). Says here, "Delivers: Mar 31 - Apr 7 by Express Delivery." Both of my laptops died during finals week last term, only one was repairable, and this isn't a good time to be without a backup.

Comment

So I can eat from my pantry for months, but I've run out of fresh fruit and veggies, so I went looking for a pickup time two days ago. Message was that there are no pickup times available for the next seven days.

So I checked again last night, and lo and behold, a slot was open for today.

Things I couldn't order:

Water
          Pasta
          Flour
          Eggs

Also, this morning I ordered the refreshed, (bottom-of-the-line) Macbook Air (with no upgrades except AppleCare). Says here, "Delivers: Mar 31 - Apr 7 by Express Delivery." Both of my laptops died during finals week last term, only one was repairable, and this isn't a good time to be without a backup.
          Eggs and bottled water are scarce but not nearly as much as hand sanitizer. The problem is when can you pick it up or have it delivered. As you noted they were indicating that there was something like a week delay which is awfully long when you don't have food. Fortunately for you a slot did open up.

They probably heard about your perfect hair.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            They probably heard about your perfect hair.
            My pickup is at (number) one.

Comment

My pickup is at (number) one.
              And here I kinda thought that you were a number two sorta guy

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                And here I kinda thought that you were a number two sorta guy
                Poop!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So I can eat from my pantry for months, but I've run out of fresh fruit and veggies . . .
                  I wonder if this whole pandemic will lead to more people starting to grow their own little mini-garden in order to be able to be a little more self-sufficient in case of a situation like this ever happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                    I wonder if this whole pandemic will lead to more people starting to grow their own little mini-garden in order to be able to be a little more self-sufficient in case of a situation like this ever happening again.
                    I planted some bacon seeds last month and am already seeing results

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      We always react to a crisis like this, then very soon forget and go back to our old ways.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Israeli epidemiologist:

But, social distancing should lead to fewer cases of infection and death, no?

“No, because we won’t be able to isolate ourselves completely or forever. At some stage, we will have to resume a regular routine, and then the R0 will stabilize at 2 again. Effectively, we are delaying the inevitable. I have no criticism of the decisions made until now. On the contrary: With such a large area of uncertainty, Israel’s decision makers are considering not only a reasonable scenario but also a margin of safety.

“In my opinion, the Health Ministry deserves tremendous credit for being ahead of the world by having instituted no few measures. In the same breath, the public needs to understand that these measures of social distancing mean that we will find ourselves with corona for a longer period, even to 2023.”

That long?

“Take the swine flu, from 2009. Reliable models show clearly that it was contained in Israel because its appearance coincided with the Jewish holidays in the fall [when people weren’t out much in public]. From the virus’ point of view, the timing wasn’t good for it in Israel. By contrast, in the United States there was significant infection in 2009-2010. But in the end, it balances out. So we saw swine flu in Israel both in 2009-10 and in 2010-11, whereas in the United States it just came and went. The American population as a whole was exposed to the virus at high rates, so those who fell ill and recovered served as a ‘human shield’ for those who did not get sick.”

So what you’re saying is to tear the bandage off in one fell swoop, and explose everyone at once, the way they tried to do in Britain.

“We need to make decisions based on the most precise models possible. What should be done? Of course, we must significantly increase testing, using the rapid PCR test, and that is what is actually being done.
                        https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...rong-1.8691031
                        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

In a moment of weakness, I ordered two frozen items I'd normally make for myself: A veggie lasagna and some stuffed manicotti. Both were substituted with meat items.

*sigh*

God hates me.

Because that's their policy. If the item isn't in stock, they'll try to fulfill it with something close, and charge the same price. They didn't have the parmesan in a one pound container, so they replaced it with two 8 ounce shakers. They didn't have the 46 oz jar of kosher dills, so they replaced it with two 24-oz jars of baby dills, which is pushing it, because they don't slice the same.

I'm nearly out of olive oil, and buy it by the gallon, but that wasn't an option, so I ordered a gallon of peanut oil. They didn't have gallons of peanut oil, so they gave me this monstrous 3 gallon container that came with its own forklift.

A gallon fits on the shelf. This one needs its own apartment.

I'm going to charge it rent.

Email update this morning.
                          Estimated delivery date: Tuesday 3/24/2020 by 3:00 pm

So that's unreal.

But it's still not frozen veggie lasagna.

Comment

In a moment of weakness, I ordered two frozen items I'd normally make for myself: A veggie lasagna and some stuffed manicotti. Both were substituted with meat items.

*sigh*

God hates me.

Because that's their policy. If the item isn't in stock, they'll try to fulfill it with something close, and charge the same price. They didn't have the parmesan in a one pound container, so they replaced it with two 8 ounce shakers. They didn't have the 46 oz jar of kosher dills, so they replaced it with two 24-oz jars of baby dills, which is pushing it, because they don't slice the same.

I'm nearly out of olive oil, and buy it by the gallon, but that wasn't an option, so I ordered a gallon of peanut oil. They didn't have gallons of peanut oil, so they gave me this monstrous 3 gallon container that came with its own forklift.

A gallon fits on the shelf. This one needs its own apartment.

I'm going to charge it rent.

Email update this morning.
                            Estimated delivery date: Tuesday 3/24/2020 by 3:00 pm

So that's unreal.

But it's still not frozen veggie lasagna.

Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                              Israeli epidemiologist:

But, social distancing should lead to fewer cases of infection and death, no?
                              Assuming the resources are there to treat them, no, it won't make a difference. But there aren't enough resources to treat them all, or at least not all at once.

Folks who get ill who would survive only if there was a respirator for them will die.

That's why we're trying to flatten the curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                We always react to a crisis like this, then very soon forget and go back to our old ways.
                                My grandma went through the great depression raising 12 kids and she was always very "frugal" and always canned vegetables and had an entire shed full of them.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X