Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Everyone should stay home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    Good luck to you, and to your family.
    Same for you and your family.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I'm in what is considered a vital industry and often make a lot of public contact.

One of my co-workers, who came back from having breast cancer removed and has low immunity, and I was working in close proximity with, has developed a dry cough. Could well be allergies though[1]

Being I'm in my 60s (not 65 or older just yet), have some diminished lung capacity and a family history of heart disease (on my father's side my grandfather, uncles and dad all died before 60, with my uncles dying at 39 and 49 -- but noone that I'm aware of dying from heart disease that young in my generation[2]), I'm seriously considering self quarantining.

Fortunately my home and car are paid off so I don't have large bills.

Due to an aching back (although I've largely got it to pop back into place) and virtually no sleep I'm calling out this morning and going to decide if I'm going to take a two weeks leave

1. The pollens are starting especially early this year. I've never seen my car covered in pine pollen (which is too big to cause allergies but is indicative of others being present) this early and it was already 80 degrees yesterday.

2. I've got a slew of cousins that I don't know anything about though
      I went in today and my co-worker was in considerably worse condition and said that her doctor told her to stay home for the next month. Now she hasn't been tested yet but today put in for 30 day leave. All things considered I put in for two weeks. The district manager said that because I'm not showing any symptoms (other than a dry throat which could well be due to the massive amount of pollen in the air) that it would be unpaid which could change if I start developing symptoms or my co-worker is diagnosed with corona.

Considering both my home and car are paid off I can weather this without too much difficulty.

In other news I stopped by Walmart on the way home. They had a few rolls of the really cheap toilet paper (with a sign limiting one package per customer). I got one for my neighbor who said she was down to her last roll.

I also got some milk and rice although all there was were a few packs of some of the microwave for 90 seconds variety. It isn't that it's awful or anything but at nearly $1.90/pack it isn't exactly economical.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I went in today and my co-worker was in considerably worse condition and said that her doctor told her to stay home for the next month. Now she hasn't been tested yet but today put in for 30 day leave. All things considered I put in for two weeks. The district manager said that because I'm not showing any symptoms (other than a dry throat which could well be due to the massive amount of pollen in the air) that it would be unpaid which could change if I start developing symptoms or my co-worker is diagnosed with corona.
        I hope you're staying in contact with your sick co-worker. From what I'm reading, if you're infected, the symptoms are "minor" for a week, meaning they just kick your butt harder than the worst flu you've ever had. And then you either start getting better, or start getting a lot worse as it settles into your lungs wreaking hell.

You stay safe, rogue.

I'm not done explaining the errors of your ways to ya.

I also got some milk and rice ...
        Dude, that so calling for rice pudding.

Comment

I hope you're staying in contact with your sick co-worker. From what I'm reading, if you're infected, the symptoms are "minor" for a week, meaning they just kick your butt harder than the worst flu you've ever had. And then you either start getting better, or start getting a lot worse as it settles into your lungs wreaking hell.

You stay safe, rogue.

I'm not done explaining the errors of your ways to ya.

Dude, that so calling for rice pudding.
          A significant number who have tested positive appear to only have mild symptoms throughout the entire infection. I don't know if they have some form of natural genetic immunity or, as some have posited, that there are two versions of it -- one relatively mild and the other severe.

And I've never been a big fan of rice pudding.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A significant number who have tested positive appear to only have mild symptoms throughout the entire infection. I don't know if they have some form of natural genetic immunity or, as some have posited, that there are two versions of it -- one relatively mild and the other severe.
            Everything I've seen says it's individual variation, because the virus mutates slowly. That's the good news.

The coronavirus mutates more slowly than the flu — which means a vaccine will likely be effective long-term

New coronavirus research suggests vaccines developed to treat it could be long-lasting

The bad news is that mild to moderate will kick yer bootée.

I probably have a ‘mild to moderate’ case of covid-19. I don’t think I could survive worse.

And I've never been a big fan of rice pudding.
            You can think of it like oatmeal, with milk and sugar. Personally, I never have milk in the house, so it's a challenge to get rid of it.

Comment

You can think of it like oatmeal, with milk and sugar. Personally, I never have milk in the house, so it's a challenge to get rid of it.
              I usually use something like this

Comment

After a trip to Urgent Care yesterday, my niece, Roxy, is presumptive positive and starting home quarantine, along with her husband, Curtis. They're in Colorado.

Comment

I usually use something like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43547[/ATTACH]
                  That's wicked easy to make for yourself, too.

Wait.

Chocolate, on oatmeal.

Yer a freak of nature, rogue.

Comment

Assuming the resources are there to treat them, no, it won't make a difference. But there aren't enough resources to treat them all, or at least not all at once.

Folks who get ill who would survive only if there was a respirator for them will die.

That's why we're trying to flatten the curve.
                    It makes some difference at the cost of a hard recession and probably depression.
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

What about reports of folks having the virus but never showing symptoms -- which has caused some health experts to note that since we have no idea how many people are like that it would mean the fatality rate is lower than we thought

New coronavirus can cause infections with no symptoms and sicken otherwise healthy people, studies show

Even Without Symptoms, Wuhan Coronavirus May Spread, Experts Fear

You should like the second source since it's from the New York Times but right before the MSM decided to kowtow to the Chicoms and started proclaiming mentioning where it came from is racist. Sorry, couldn't resist

Comment

What about reports of folks having the virus but never showing symptoms -- which has caused some health experts to note that since we have no idea how many people are like that it would mean the fatality rate is lower than we thought
                        A lot of folks with symptoms aren't being reported, either. My niece, for example, is "presumed infected" but not "confirmed," because we can't test. We need billions of test kits that we're not going to get. When they're available, what was previously a one day wait for results from the state lab can stretch to a week from a commercial source now. CDC figures for those infected reflect the delay.

CDC cases.jpg

Comment

New coronavirus can cause infections with no symptoms and sicken otherwise healthy people, studies show

Even Without Symptoms, Wuhan Coronavirus May Spread, Experts Fear

You should like the second source since it's from the New York Times but right before the MSM decided to kowtow to the Chicoms and started proclaiming mentioning where it came from is racist. Sorry, couldn't resist
                          Every virus likely has some people who are resistant or immune to it (even HIV). So I don't think the fact that some people are immune to this one is particularly meaningful until we get better numbers.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44275043/n...-dont-get-flu/

Why do some people end up in bed feverish, hacking and sneezing for days from the flu — when others seem to never get sick?

To answer that question, University of Michigan researchers did the first study of its kind: They infected 17 healthy people with the flu virus and discovered that everyone who is exposed to the flu actually is affected by it, but their bodies just have a different way of reacting to it. Half of the study participants got sick; the other half didn’t notice a thing.
                          Last edited by Darth Executor; 03-26-2020, 12:39 PM.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I don't know if this is readily available and I've just missed it, but do we yet have any non-speculative information on whether the virus does in fact spread less rapidly in warm weather?
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              I don't know if this is readily available and I've just missed it, but do we yet have any non-speculative information on whether the virus does in fact spread less rapidly in warm weather?
                              aside from some extremophiles (which this isn't) cells don't fare well under UV light, which intensifies in the summer.

we know moisture prevents the flu from spreading and this virus spreads the same way so it's pretty solid speculation
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                Every virus likely has some people who are resistant or immune to it (even HIV).
                                FWIU they tracked that to a very rare mutation that quickly became much more prominent after the Black Death.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X