Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: ABC poll: 55% approve of Trump's handling of the coronavirus crisi

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    you all also think you are experts in our government
    I know vastly more about it than you or most Americans, but that's because I'm a politics geek who has spent a lot of time learning. Which seems to make you really bitter.

and society!
    Are you simply unaware of the amount of American TV and movies the rest of the world typically watches on a daily or yearly basis? Not to mention, the US is a relatively common destination for English-speakers to visit or have friends live (I have both). Just because you know nothing about a society of another country, doesn't mean they don't know plenty about American society.

It amuses me that you seem to have convinced yourself of how important and great America is, and yet get offended when anyone from other countries knows anything about it or is interested in it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I know vastly more about it than you or most Americans, but that's because I'm a politics geek who has spent a lot of time learning. Which seems to make you really bitter.

Are you simply unaware of the amount of American TV and movies the rest of the world typically watches on a daily or yearly basis? Not to mention, the US is a relatively common destination for English-speakers to visit or have friends live (I have both). Just because you know nothing about a society of another country, doesn't mean they don't know plenty about American society.

It amuses me that you seem to have convinced yourself of how important and great America is, and yet get offended when anyone from other countries knows anything about it or is interested in it.

You really think TV and movies represent daily American life?
    Last edited by Sparko; 03-28-2020 at 06:18 AM.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

3. Amen Ronson, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    English-only speakers are largely limited to following politics in English-speaking nations. That gives us 6 or so options.
    Wrong. Way wrong.

Of those, the US is the largest,
    Geography, population, economy, military - yes.

most dysfunctional by far,
    That's subjective. If by "dysfunctional" you mean "successful" by means not-always popular internationally, then yes.

most hilariously idiotic
    Same as above.

has the most ridiculous leaders who give the best value comedy unintentionally
    More subjectivity, but I might agree with this one sometimes.

has by far the most backwardly conservative political policies
    Globalism is a policy that works well for small, dependent nations. It sucks the lifeblood from rich nations.

and is the only one of them who insanely invades other countries regularly
    Finally, something I can agree wholeheartedly on.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

I spent half of my life growing up in Europe and still visit family there regularly. My mom was German. Dad was in the Army. I think I have a bit more actual knowledge of the world than you do.

It amuses me that you speak out of one side of your mouth about how conceited Americans are about their importance and nobody cares and out of the other you tell us you study our government and society and know "more than a native"

6. Amen RumTumTugger, Ronson amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

You really think TV and movies represent daily American life?

Must be why he thinks cops go around shooting and beating up suspects, and every American has AR-15s and 40 other guns in their homes.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The fact that star gets his information about America from TV shows and movies explains a whole lot.

It'd be equivalent to thinking one is an expert on Japanese culture because they watch a bunch of animes.

[*You mean every Junior High in Japan doesn't have a couple kids with superpowers?*]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    His claim that English speakers canít follow politics in other countries because of a language barrier is nonsense. Most countries have English news editions. The USís place, in the world, makes much more sense.
    I think so. US is still the most influential nation on earth so it makes sense that the world takes more interest there.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Trump is getting some of the highest approval ratings ever right now in spite of a 24/7 barrage of attacks in the MSM. Sure you could try to claim it's a rally around the leader thing but if we don't think you are handling the situation competently then that just does not happen.

Ask Herbert Hoover.
    Most politicians become less popular the more exposure they get. Trump has always been the exact opposite, and the media is having a fit over this. They want to stop airing the live Presidential briefings in order to limit Trump's exposure and control the narrative.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Must be why he thinks cops go around shooting and beating up suspects, and every American has AR-15s and 40 other guns in their homes.
    Weíve been watching 7th Heaven and wonder how anyone would survive with that much drama in their lives. TV and movies are made to entertain, not represent our mainly boring and mundane daily lives.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Weíve been watching 7th Heaven and wonder how anyone would survive with that much drama in their lives. TV and movies are made to entertain, not represent our mainly boring and mundane daily lives.
    I'm still wondering how Japan keeps rebuilding Tokyo in time to be leveled by yet another of the legion of gargantuan monsters that apparently infest the islands and surrounding area

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman