Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: ABC poll: 55% approve of Trump's handling of the coronavirus crisi

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    English-only speakers are largely limited to following politics in English-speaking nations. That gives us 6 or so options. Of those, the US is the largest, most dysfunctional by far, most hilariously idiotic, has the most ridiculous leaders who give the best value comedy unintentionally, has by far the most backwardly conservative political policies, and is the only one of them who insanely invades other countries regularly.

So it isn't a hard choice.

Although Boris the Johnson is stupid and awful enough to make Britain interesting to watch with popcorn at the moment, and Tony Abbott in Australia was the same for a while.
    Basically this. And yes, our prime minister and brexit is pretty much as embarrassing as the state of US politics under Trump is at the moment.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Trump is getting some of the highest approval ratings ever right now in spite of a 24/7 barrage of attacks in the MSM. Sure you could try to claim it's a rally around the leader thing but if we don't think you are handling the situation competently then that just does not happen.

Ask Herbert Hoover.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

3. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    English-only speakers are largely limited to following politics in English-speaking nations. That gives us 6 or so options.
    Actually, we can surpass 6 English-speaking countries in Africa alone. You might say that English isn't necessarily the most common language in them, even if it's their national language, but we're not talking about "on the street" communications, but the communications you would have access to from outside the country, i.e. the Internet. For example, even though Hasua is the most spoken language in Nigeria, all of the biggest Nigerian websites are in English.

Language plays a part, and is probably why the UK gets more attention than other European countries in the US, but I think it only plays a small role. It's not a matter of language, but a matter of influence. The US is practically in a league of its own when it comes to sheer international influence. The only country that can rival the US in that area is China... but they're also a dictatorship so there's not really much in the way of "politics" to follow (their policies matter, but not so much their politics). I think if they were actually democratic and therefore had politics to pay attention to, you'd see a lot of attention paid to their politics from outside.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    English-only speakers are largely limited to following politics in English-speaking nations. That gives us 6 or so options. Of those, the US is the largest, most dysfunctional by far, most hilariously idiotic, has the most ridiculous leaders who give the best value comedy unintentionally, has by far the most backwardly conservative political policies, and is the only one of them who insanely invades other countries regularly.

Although Boris the Johnson is stupid and awful enough to make Britain interesting to watch with popcorn at the moment, and Tony Abbott in Australia was the same for a while.
    Wow, for claiming that Americans donít know the world outside America, you donít seem to know much yourself. English is the international language of business and most foreign news agencies usually have an English edition. Iíve read several English editions of local papers in Europe and Asia. They really were not too difficult to track down either.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Not only are you obsessed with the USA, you all also think you are experts in our government and society! That's what's really hilarious.

7. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Not only are you obsessed with the USA, you all also think you are experts in our government and society! That's what's really hilarious.
    Itís actually how we learn and improve our communities. I think Starlight is thinking of the 5 eyes members (Australia, UK, USA, Canada, NZ). The interest stems from the similarities in our societies so each new policy or major court decision can directly affect the others.

The legal system is essentially the same and we cite US, UK and NZ cases quite frequently. Not so much Canada but Iím sure we can.

The US is of course the most interesting out of the 5 because they are the strongest militarily and economically in the world and the other four have the same system of government.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post
    Itís actually how we learn and improve our communities. I think Starlight is thinking of the 5 eyes members (Australia, UK, USA, Canada, NZ). The interest stems from the similarities in our societies so each new policy or major court decision can directly affect the others.

The legal system is essentially the same and we cite US, UK and NZ cases quite frequently. Not so much Canada but Iím sure we can.

The US is of course the most interesting out of the 5 because they are the strongest militarily and economically in the world and the other four have the same system of government.
    His claim that English speakers canít follow politics in other countries because of a language barrier is nonsense. Most countries have English news editions. The USís place, in the world, makes much more sense.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    Actually, we can surpass 6 English-speaking countries in Africa alone. You might say that English isn't necessarily the most common language in them, even if it's their national language, but we're not talking about "on the street" communications, but the communications you would have access to from outside the country, i.e. the Internet. For example, even though Hasua is the most spoken language in Nigeria, all of the biggest Nigerian websites are in English.

Language plays a part, and is probably why the UK gets more attention than other European countries in the US, but I think it only plays a small role. It's not a matter of language, but a matter of influence. The US is practically in a league of its own when it comes to sheer international influence. The only country that can rival the US in that area is China... but they're also a dictatorship so there's not really much in the way of "politics" to follow (their policies matter, but not so much their politics). I think if they were actually democratic and therefore had politics to pay attention to, you'd see a lot of attention paid to their politics from outside.
    In fact, English is recognized as an official language in a total of 67 different countries, as well as 27 non-sovereign entities. Moreover, it is a major business language, as well as the official language of a number of the worldís most important institutions, including the United Nations, NATO and the European Union.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post

So you are saying we are better than the rest of you?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)