Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

ABC poll: 55% approve of Trump's handling of the coronavirus crisi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    Post 35 (which it is linked to) provides the distinction without a difference, given that Starlight used Brilliant's critique as an example of a person knowledgeable of the situation and an authoritative source. Considering that you (and Ronson) are pointing to that instead of the points raised, it is a diversion.

While you claim it is not about Star's post, it is used to sidestep Star's post.

You are multiplying an objection, an objection which no Twebber would accept if the discussion was on the faith.
    You really are something special. Grimly determined to make whatever someone says into what you want them to say and then going off on it. I think we're done here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Slick View Post
      You really are something special. Grimly determined to make whatever someone says into what you want them to say and then going off on it. I think we're done here.
      As opposed to posting one thing then trying to retroactively try to alter its meaning, to include something not in the post?

The irony here is that being 'grimly determined to make whatever' I say 'into something they want it to say' pretty much describes others responses to me. Which is why I do try to be extra cautious in reading the posts. Hypocrisy is not a virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        If you are told 24/7 that he majorly screwed this up and refused to do anything a 55% approval rating is incredibly high. Especially given that at least a third of the population would find fault even if he personally found a cure because no matter what... orange man BAD
        If by “bad” you mean self-aggrandizing and incompetent I would agree. Ten weeks after he was told what was coming his administration still can’t even provide tests or masks sufficient to address the outbreak. Trump can spin this any way he wants. History will lay the blame where it belongs…on the bad orange man.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

He was a medical officer at WHO who was an epidemiologist with an expertise in the field. The battle against smallpox was successful, and it shows that progress can be made.
          A 20-something "expert" epidemiologist? I think he's padding his resume.

One interesting point he made in the interview:
          Tests would make a measurable difference. We should be doing a stochastic process random probability sample of the country to find out where the hell the virus really is. Because we don't know. Maybe Mississippi is reporting no cases because it's not looking. How would they know? Zimbabwe reports zero cases because they don't have testing capability, not because they don't have the virus.
          I agree about the testing, but I'm sure that's the same opinion of millions of people.

Comment

Why are you foreigners spending so much of your time and energy complaining about what Trump is doing instead of worrying about your own country? It's like you guys are obsessed with the USA or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Why are you foreigners spending so much of your time and energy complaining about what Trump is doing instead of worrying about your own country? It's like you guys are obsessed with the USA or something.
              Three words:

Tee. Dee. Ess.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't get the argument that people shouldn't be concerned about what other countries' governments do. I'm pretty concerned about what the Chinese government is doing to our brothers and sisters in Christ right now, should I not be? After all, it's not my own government...
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I don't get the argument that people shouldn't be concerned about what other countries' governments do. I'm pretty concerned about what the Chinese government is doing to our brothers and sisters in Christ right now, should I not be? After all, it's not my own government...
                  Do you argue about every word Xi Jingping says about every policy? Are you arguing about what the PM of New Zealand is saying or doing day to day? Do you even know what she is doing? Do you care?

Comment

Do you argue about every word Xi Jingping says about every policy? Are you arguing about what the PM of New Zealand is saying or doing day to day? Do you even know what she is doing? Do you care?
                    Well, actually, I am pretty concerned about Ardern declaring martial law in NZ today after reading about it on Glenn's Facebook today. It sets a bad precedent for other nations.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Well, actually, I am pretty concerned about Ardern declaring martial law in NZ today after reading about it on Glenn's Facebook today. It sets a bad precedent for other nations.
                      You should go start a dozen threads on it and start obsessing about everything she says then.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        A 20-something "expert" epidemiologist? I think he's padding his resume.

I agree about the testing, but I'm sure that's the same opinion of millions of people.
                        Lemme guess, Brilliant is a discussed on Limbaugh?

Brilliant was born in '44, knocked around as a hippie after becoming a doctor, and worked for the WHO in the smallpox program. He spent his whole life in the international public health field, in academia for a bit and for nonprofits, and is on the board of something called "ending pandemics". I think it likely that he might have bumped into ideas about dealing with epidemics over the course of the last forty years. Yes, he is an old hippie in the Wavy Gravy mold.

But it is not the opinion of some in the public health sector, there is the opposing view that the virus is unstoppable and needs to pass through a percentage of the population before it can be halted. That is a view with some support also, a view which downplays the role of mass testing. The last epidemic we faced, Ebola, showed cracks in the system, cracks which were likely patched. This epidemic showed a fatal flaw, the hubris of depending solely on US medicine at the expense of lessons learned overseas. Even lessons learned in China.

The only real data we have on this comes from overseas, such as Iceland which managed to test the entire population, or South Korea which has data, real hard data on its transmission since it has a record of individual persons who have been tested multiple times. The US' only real statistic will be on total mortality rates, we will need to subtract the 'normal' number of deaths to determine the mortality, we have no statistics on morbidity.

Comment

Lemme guess, Brilliant is a discussed on Limbaugh?
                          You tell me, Sabatete. I thought Limbaugh was dead.

Comment

CBS/YouGov reports 53% approval.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...irus-outbreak/
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              You tell me, Sabatete. I thought Limbaugh was dead.
                              Limbaugh formed most of conservative talk radio, many of the personalities rose to prominence on his show, or by following his show on radio.

Comment

Trump’s Handling of Coronavirus Approved by 60% in Gallup Poll

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-poll-k86e29ot
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment