Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The Bread Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bread Thread

So since I can't seem to get any bread at the store, I have decided to make my own. I have a bag of bread flour and some old yeast I hope is still good. I broke out my 30 year old Breadman bread machine and it looks like it still works. It's kneading the dough right now. If the yeast is good (I did proof some and it foamed so it looks good, but it says it expired in 2016)

I guess I will know in 3-1/2 hours.

Feel free to post bread and bun recipes here.

My machine recipe:
    1-1/4 cups milk
    4 tsp butter or margarine
    4 tsp sugar
    3/4 tsp salt
    3 cups flour
    1 tsp yeast (fast rise is better than active)

Bring all ingredients to room temp (I melted the butter) and put liquid in machine first, then dry ingredients, make dimple in top of flour and put in yeast at the top. Set machine to basic bread cycle.

Makes 1-1/2 pound loaf. Hopefully.

I found this recipe for Hamburger buns but haven't tried it yet:

Recipe By:Chef John
    "I've gotten a thousand request for these. We're going to make our own, and not only are these going to be the perfect shape, they're going to taste way better than anything that comes out of a plastic bag. The total time takes almost 4 hours, but the actual amount of work involved is maybe 10 minutes."

Ingredients

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast (such as Fleischmann's ActiveDry Yeast(R))
    1 pound all-purpose flour, or as needed - divided
    1 cup warm water (105 degrees F/41 degrees C)
    1 large egg
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    3 tablespoons white sugar

1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 teaspoon sesame seeds, or as needed

Directions

Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
    Place yeast into bowl of a large stand mixer; whisk in 1/2 cup flour and warm water until smooth. Let stand until mixture is foamy, 10 to 15 minutes.
    Whisk 1 egg, melted butter, sugar, and salt thoroughly into yeast mixture. Add remaining flour (about 3 cups).
    Fit a dough hook onto stand mixer and knead the dough on low speed until soft and sticky, 5 to 6 minutes. Scrape sides if needed. Poke and prod the dough with a silicone spatula; if large amounts of dough stick to the spatula, add a little more flour.
    Transfer dough onto a floured work surface; dough will be sticky and elastic but not stick to your fingers. Form the dough lightly into a smooth, round shape, gently tucking loose ends underneath.
    Wipe out stand mixer bowl, drizzle olive oil into the bowl, and turn dough over in the bowl several times to coat surface thinly with oil. Cover bowl with aluminum foil. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
    Transfer dough to a floured work surface and pat to flatten bubbles and form into a slightly rounded rectangle of dough about 5x10 inches and about 1/2 inch thick. Dust dough lightly with flour if needed. Cut dough into 8 equal pieces. Form each piece into a round shape, gently tucking ends underneath as before.
    Use your hands to gently pat and stretch the dough rounds into flat disc shapes about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange buns about 1/2 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Dust buns very lightly with flour. Drape a piece of plastic wrap over the baking sheet (do not seal tightly). Let buns rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    Beat 1 egg with milk in a small bowl, using a fork, until mixture is thoroughly combined. Very gently and lightly brush tops of buns with egg wash without deflating the risen dough. Sprinkle each bun with sesame seeds.
    Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned on top, 15 to 17 minutes. Buns will stick together slightly where they touch. Let cool completely, tear the buns apart, and slice in half crosswise to serve.

Video here: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...amburger-buns/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      So since I can't seem to get any bread at the store, I have decided to make my own. I have a bag of bread flour and some old yeast I hope is still good. I broke out my 30 year old Breadman bread machine and it looks like it still works. It's kneading the dough right now. If the yeast is good (I did proof some and it foamed so it looks good, but it says it expired in 2016)

I guess I will know in 3-1/2 hours.

Feel free to post bread and bun recipes here.

My machine recipe:
      1-1/4 cups milk
      4 tsp butter or margarine
      4 tsp sugar
      3/4 tsp salt
      3 cups flour
      1 tsp yeast (fast rise is better than active)

Bring all ingredients to room temp (I melted the butter) and put liquid in machine first, then dry ingredients, make dimple in top of flour and put in yeast at the top. Set machine to basic bread cycle.

Makes 1-1/2 pound loaf. Hopefully.
      Try making French bread:

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/french-bread/

Comment

Because man cannot live on bread alone?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Because man cannot live on bread alone?
          Greetings CP. You’ve turned into a recluse. Nothing serious I hope. Wishing you all the best as ever.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Greetings CP. You’ve turned into a recluse. Nothing serious I hope. Wishing you all the best as ever.
            Been busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest, my friend. GOOD stuff, and just needed to get away from the same 'ol same 'ol for a bit.

All is well, and I'll pop in from time to time.

There are a number of people and things I do NOT miss while away. You're not one of them.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Been busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest, my friend. GOOD stuff, and just needed to get away from the same 'ol same 'ol for a bit.

All is well, and I'll pop in from time to time.

There are a number of people and things I do NOT miss while away. You're not one of them.
              Good to hear.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

You can use English muffins as hamburger buns.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                  You can use English muffins as hamburger buns.
                  We like using the Hawaiian Rolls and making hamburger or BLT sliders!

Comment

We like using the Hawaiian Rolls and making hamburger or BLT sliders!
                    Good idea, but do you have a problem with someone stealing them?

Comment

Here's the bread I made. I need to use more yeast next time. It was a bit dense.

bread.jpg

Comment

Here's the bread I made. I need to use more yeast next time. It was a bit dense.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43488[/ATTACH]

*[Must try to be nice. Must try to be nice. If I am the I filled my quota for the month*]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment