Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Nancy "Pork" Pelosi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nancy "Pork" Pelosi

Some of the pork in Pelosi's coronavirus bill.

https://apps.npr.org/documents/docum...ted-House-Bill

Notable portions:
    $33,200,000 for new NOAA facilities
    $100,000,000 for NASA
    $236,000,000 for the IRS
    $35,000,000 for the JFK Performing Arts Center
    $7,000,000 for a specific Washington DC charter school (gee, I wonder if some congress friends have kids there, Nancy?)
    And this all must be channeled through "minority credit unions"

I have no doubt that BOTH sides will profit - it's times like these when the government issues tons of no-bid contracts, and they'll go to friends, acquaintances, relatives, connections... I hate it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Notable portions:
      $100,000,000 for NASA
      $236,000,000 for the IRS
      $7,000,000 for a specific Washington DC charter school (gee, I wonder if some congress friends have kids there, Nancy?)
      $411 million total vs. $500 billion, a thousand times more, in a slush fund run by Mnuchin with no transparency for six months.

I'm not sure this attack has all the teeth you were thinking it might have.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
        $411 million total vs. $500 billion, a thousand times more, in a slush fund run by Mnuchin with no transparency for six months.

Slush fund? That's some mighty impressive mind reading skills ya got there...
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

How about a link, Sabatete

Comment

Notable portions:
            $100,000,000 for NASA
            $236,000,000 for the IRS
            Glad you started this as I was pondering doing the same after this exchange
            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Apparently spoke too soon. Looks like Pelosi as well as Schumer are both playing politics and holding legislation up until they can figure out a way to make it benefit the Democrats

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43487[/ATTACH]

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            And this is what TSD looks like...
            Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            They are trying to make sure that the GOP does not give away 500 billion dollars to companies that will squander it. There need to be controls on how the money is used. There needs to be paid leave for workers (or a supplement to state unemployment that will pay the actual salaries). This money needs to go to making sure the companies employee's and the companie's basic infrastructure remain intact across the space of the social distancing construct. They can't just take the money and give their CEO's big bonuses, or buy back their own stock etc.

The republican side does understand perhaps better than the democrats that a failed economy, a depression, is also a great strain on the nation and its people. As Trump pointed out, is the cure worse than the disease. That is not a fake concern, that is real. So you can't JUST focus on paying workers, but neither can you cow-tow to the corporate desire for profits. In fact, it might be a really good time for all corporations to eye break-even or a small loss with any eye toward taking profits (those that are profiting, e.g. amazon and medical equipment providers) and using it for the good of the nation in this time.

What manipulation looks like rogue is dismissing the real concerns of either side and not working to a balance of both concerns and a compromise where neither side gets exactly what they want. Both sides need to STOP the Trumpian era magnification of polarization and blaming of the other guy for things where there is shared responsibility. BOTH sides need to stop playing to their base.

And YOU and I are part of that. So STOP with the partisan crap and START posting constructive, real discussion of what needs to happen on BOTH sides. Because THEY are a reflection of US. And until YOU and I can figure out we are in this TOGETHER, THEY will continue to operate as they are.

To which I replied:
            Obviously we don't want another bailout like we had in 2008, but this is nothing like that. It is not the fault of these various businesses. They didn't cause this. They were forced to shut down by the government through no fault of their own so this would in many ways be better described as compensation or restitution than any sort of bailout. We need to try to make sure that workers have jobs to return to when this is finally over.

What was being proposed is providing them some sort of liquidity so that they can keep employees rather than having to fire them, and giving them access to capital in the form of loans so that businesses both large and small can remain afloat.

This isn't just Wall Street. This is far from it. These are the companies that nearly all Americans work for both large and small. This is a huge swath of the American economy that has been put out of business overnight. They are suffering through no fault of their own just like the millions of people who have been laid off. If they fail and these companies become insolvent do you have a clue what the result would be? We'd be looking at the Great Depression II for the next decade.

So getting back to what the Democrats are doing here.

They are now pretending that they had no input into the Senate legislation but last week both Democrat and Republican committee chairs worked together on crafting planks for the Senate bill and adopted a large number of the ideas proposed by the House. Even Chuck Schumer, the Senate Minority Leader, was expressing "delight and surprise" at the "bipartisan cooperation"[1] that took place.

IOW, the Senate was on track to move forward with emergency legislation to address both the health crisis and economic emergency that we're facing due to the Chicom coronavirus. The proposals would have provided direct financial assistance to the American people and provided rapid relief for small businesses and their employees -- both which are needed to help stabilize the economy and protect jobs.

But all that evaporated when Nancy Pelosi flew in from San Francisco on her broom after taking the week off causing it all to get tossed out the window. She convinced Schumer that since time is of the essence and because five Republican Senators are quarantined that this was the perfect opportunity to load the bill with pork barrel spending and things from the left's ideological wishlist[2], figuring that there would be no choice but to pass it.

The cold hard fact is that the number of unemployment claims skyrocketed last week which is hardly a surprise given that the government is forcing businesses to shut their doors and send their employees home. In an effort to compensate Americans for the loss of jobs, businesses and income, the Senate tried to pass an emergency aid package but Senate Democrats killed it deciding instead to hold America hostage for political leverage and in an attempt to improve their own political prospects.

So while millions of Americans have been forced out of your jobs, while businesses fail because they’ve been deemed "non-essential," the Democrats in Congress are using this to try to gain political power. They are happy to undermine relief efforts to compensate those whose lives and livelihoods are being destroyed. They have no problem with increasing the suffering. After all, if it means that they might stand a better of chance of seizing control of the White House, what’s a few thousand businesses permanently shuttering their doors and millions of Americans in the unemployment lines?[3].

The same pair of clowns who in 2018 threatened to shut down the government in an attempt to benefit illegal aliens are now again playing politics with our lives. As Obama's then chief of staff Rahm Emanuel once infamously intoned "Never let a crisis go to waste." These two have taken that message to heart.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43486[/ATTACH]

1. On CNN this weekend Schumer told Wolf Blitzer

"We’re having good bipartisan agreements. The initial bill Leader McConnell put in didn’t have any Democratic input and we were worried that we just try to put it on the floor and not consult Speaker Pelosi because the House still has to pass this. But actually, to my delight and surprise there has been a great deal of bipartisan cooperation thus far."

2. Just a few of the things that the Democrats stuffed into the bill include:
            • Same day voting registration
            • Unprecedented collective bargaining powers for unions
            • Increased fuel emissions standards for airlines
            • Expansion of wind and solar tax credits
            • More money for the Kennedy Center

All of which have absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with combatting the Chicom coronavirus

3. Don't forget that it was Pelosi who told us that people losing their jobs ought to be regarded not as rising unemployment but rather an increase in "funemployment."

"Now you don’t have to do that job that you’ve hated all along. If you want to go out and paint watercolors in Golden Gate Park and try to sell ’em down in the Tenderloin, you can do it. You no longer have to be a prisoner do a job that you don’t like."

Moreover, that things like unemployment checks and food stamps are much better than creating jobs for the economy saying they provide a bigger bang for the buck

She also said that they "creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name" which begs the question if food stamps and unemployment are better than jobs, as she said, why would you want to create jobs at all? Could it be that she knows what she was spewing is a load of bovine scat?
            Attached Files

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Glad you started this as I was pondering doing the same after this exchange
              They have been quite shameless during this debate. And it's amusing how the media absolutely will not expose the pork being introduced by their Democratic comrades. You have to go read their bill to get the details because the news outlets aren't going to expose the graft. I mean, seriously? $7 million for one charter school in their DC backyard? For THEIR kids?

But in all honesty, I'd rather no bill be passed. We can't afford it - there's no money for it.

Comment

They have been quite shameless during this debate. And it's amusing how the media absolutely will not expose the pork being introduced by their Democratic comrades. You have to go read their bill to get the details because the news outlets aren't going to expose the graft. I mean, seriously? $7 million for one charter school in their DC backyard? For THEIR kids?

But in all honesty, I'd rather no bill be passed. We can't afford it - there's no money for it.
                It isn't just the pork but has a good deal from their ideological wishlist as well. Just like when Pelosi tried to slip in an end run around the Hyde Amendment in the House version and provide federal funding for abortions earlier last week.

And not all of the media has ignored it. Conservative outlets have covered it of course and to my shock and dismay Savannah Guthrie on the Today Show took the Democrats in the Senate for stalling passage of the bill, although she didn't mention what sort of political games they were playing:
                Pelosi and her gang did try to sneak funding for abortion into some legislation but it was dropped, but it has been the Senate Democrats who have been playing politics with funding. Surprisingly this was actually mentioned on NBC's Today Show this morning.

The show's primary co-host Savannah Guthrie started the broadcast by saying that

"Stalemate. Overnight, Senate Democrats blocked the nearly $2 trillion coronavirus aid package, saying it has a slush fund for big business. Republicans warning their rivals are playing with fire as the economy tanks."

Shortly afterwards she again ingeminated the charge:

"As mentioned, overnight, the new $2 trillion coronavirus aid package was blocked by Senate Democrats on Capitol Hill, and there’s also a new case of the virus there."

Moreover, about a half hour later while interviewing the Democrat Governor of Illinois Jay "J.B." Pritzker, who like most Democrats seems largely focused on being politically correct about the Chicom coronavirus, Guthrie pressed him on whether his fellow Democrats in D.C. are right to stall relief efforts saying

"Governor, last night, I believe it was yesterday, the Democrats in Congress blocked this latest almost $2 trillion aid package on the basis that, according to Democrats, it had a “slush fund” – what they call it, a pejorative term – too much money to corporations, not enough to regular folks. My question to you though is, people are desperate, they need this money, they need this help. Is this the time to have these kinds of arguments or should it be fast-tracked essentially?"

Pritzker defended his colleagues stalling leading Guthrie to continue in a manner that until now is done exclusively to non-liberals asking him "Well, how long do you want Democrats to hold this line?" A confused Pritzner, apparently not used to this sort of question from a member of the MSM, stammered "Say it again." leading to Guthrie reiterate:

"Well, I mean, how long? Look, they should resolve this today, there’s no doubt about it. But needlessly handing billions of dollars to companies when you could put it in the hands of average folks or into the hands of states that are providing services seems, you know, illogical to me"

Kudos to her for actually holding Democrats accountable for their placing ideology above expediency during this crisis. I wonder how long it'll be before NBC announces that she is on a leave of absence and replaces her.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There's no money for any of the insane things they're doing/proposing. The treasury will borrow the money, and the Fed will create the money they need to borrow. Fed has been monetizing the debt this way like there's no tomorrow, so they might as well go hog wild because the ship of spending way beyond our means has already sailed.

Comment

It isn't just the pork but has a good deal from their ideological wishlist as well. Just like when Pelosi tried to slip in an end run around the Hyde Amendment in the House version and provide federal funding for abortions earlier last week.

And not all of the media has ignored it. Conservative outlets have covered it of course and to my shock and dismay Savannah Guthrie on the Today Show took the Democrats in the Senate for stalling passage of the bill, although she didn't mention what sort of political games they were playing:
                    Guthrie said that? Maybe working from her basement and away from NBC has caused her brain cells to revive.

Comment

NT

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        There's no money for any of the insane things they're doing/proposing. The treasury will borrow the money, and the Fed will create the money they need to borrow. Fed has been monetizing the debt this way like there's no tomorrow, so they might as well go hog wild because the ship of spending way beyond our means has already sailed.
                        That's an argument to accelerate towards the cliff.

Comment

pork?

I win the thread.

Comment

That's an argument to accelerate towards the cliff.
                            Dude, we're not just passed the PONR, we're in the twilight zone of potential debt, deficits, and possible dollar absolute destruction. Might as well enjoy it now while it lasts because the future is over.

Comment

Political cartoonists are having fun with this one...

afb032420dAPR20200324014516.jpg

lb200325cd20200325114451.jpg

gv032420dAPR20200324064529.jpg

stg032420dAPR20200324034508.jpg
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment