Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

On Responsibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Responsibility

Nushawn Williams moved fro NYC to a rural western NY county after testing positive for HIV and had sex with some 4 dozen girls. He was the epicenter for a mini epidemic in Chautauqua County NY (known more for Amish communities and dirt roads than urban problems)

He was sentenced to prison for his escapades in charges which included reckless endangerment.

We have stories of coronavirus parties in Ky, and problems in Hamptons on Long Island. https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-sho...e-in-hamptons/

A woman apparently traveled on public transportation knowing she was infected after being told not to travel to check into the small, rural hospital. She should up demanding to be admitted.

Should we have disease specific crimes? Can we condemn Nushawn Williams and the partiers in Ky or the woman in the Hamptons?

Does Fox News offer any guidance, or the faith, or secular morality?

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    Nushawn Williams moved fro NYC to a rural western NY county after testing positive for HIV and had sex with some 4 dozen girls. He was the epicenter for a mini epidemic in Chautauqua County NY (known more for Amish communities and dirt roads than urban problems)

He was sentenced to prison for his escapades in charges which included reckless endangerment.

We have stories of coronavirus parties in Ky, and problems in Hamptons on Long Island. https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-sho...e-in-hamptons/

A woman apparently traveled on public transportation knowing she was infected after being told not to travel to check into the small, rural hospital. She should up demanding to be admitted.

Should we have disease specific crimes? Can we condemn Nushawn Williams and the partiers in Ky or the woman in the Hamptons?

I don’t think disease specific crimes would be necessary or practical. Knowingly engaging in conduct that is reasonably likely to infect others is reckless endangerment. If someone gets infected then its an aggravated assault since diseases should be considered grievous bodily harm. If the infection leads to death then it will be involuntary manslaughter or worse.

Is there a different situation or another potential disease crime you had in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
      I don’t think disease specific crimes would be necessary or practical. Knowingly engaging in conduct that is reasonably likely to infect others is reckless endangerment. If someone gets infected then its an aggravated assault since diseases should be considered grievous bodily harm. If the infection leads to death then it will be involuntary manslaughter or worse.

Is there a different situation or another potential disease crime you had in mind?
      I was wondering how people viewed the parallels of criminal transmission of hiv to the examples of the coronavirus party.

There is another example I saw today, a man coughed on a grocery store employee: https://www.foxnews.com/us/nj-man-wh...-governor-says

Comment

I was wondering how people viewed the parallels of criminal transmission of hiv to the examples of the coronavirus party.

There is another example I saw today, a man coughed on a grocery store employee: https://www.foxnews.com/us/nj-man-wh...-governor-says
        I think the laws we have now are sufficient. Reckless endangerment, terroristic threatening.

I think the HIV example was much worse though. At the time HIV was a sure death sentence.

Comment

There was a person in the town I lived in who spread it to places in town and nearby counties.

Reckless endangerment is a thing.

I am trying to do my part in dealing with this. Some of my family members are in quarantine.

I am trying to keep a level head. There are people who need far more than me.

I have had to call ambulances for folks who got sick.

I want to help folks. I have enough temptations in life and I have my own struggles anxieties and crosses to bear.

I love humanity and with Gods help I plan to continue ue to do good even though it can be hard and draining so.etimes.

Is that a sufficient answer?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
            There was a person in the town I lived in who spread it to places in town and nearby counties.

Reckless endangerment is a thing.

I am trying to do my part in dealing with this. Some of my family members are in quarantine.

I am trying to keep a level head. There are people who need far more than me.

I have had to call ambulances for folks who got sick.

I want to help folks. I have enough temptations in life and I have my own struggles anxieties and crosses to bear.

I love humanity and with Gods help I plan to continue ue to do good even though it can be hard and draining so.etimes.

Is that a sufficient answer?
            Yes. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, I was interested in the reasoning used.

Comment

If the disease, and a resulting death, can be traced to either "Coronavirus Party" celebrant, the customer who purposefully coughed on an employee, or the Hamptons example, should they be charged?

Comment

If the disease, and a resulting death, can be traced to either "Coronavirus Party" celebrant, the customer who purposefully coughed on an employee, or the Hamptons example, should they be charged?
                Sounds like a reckless endangerment or negligent homicide. Though I admit I am less than an amateur when it comes to law.
                sigpic

Comment

Certainly someone who willfully causes harm to another should be held legally accountable.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The Hamptons example with the infected lady on public transport would be difficult to charge I’d think.

Comment

keeping the laws more general instead of creating new laws for every possible situation or disease allows greater flexibility and less bureaucracy. If we have laws that cover someone being reckless or endangering others, there is no need to create a specific law for every deadly disease.

Comment

I think most everyone recognizes the actions of Nushawn Williams as immoral. But what about the actions here, the Coronavirus Party, the purposefully coughing on the Wegman's employee, the move to Hamptons?

And the most recent one, the nutbar who recorded himself licking deodorant in Walmart?

Comment

I think most everyone recognizes the actions of Nushawn Williams as immoral. But what about the actions here, the Coronavirus Party, the purposefully coughing on the Wegman's employee, the move to Hamptons?

And the most recent one, the nutbar who recorded himself licking deodorant in Walmart?
                          We already answered you. They should be prosecuted for their actions. There are a host of available laws to cover such things, inciting panic, reckless endangerment, and if someone actually gets sick, assault, or if they die, manslaughter. For someone who gets himself infected on purpose, if they then go around spreading it, they should get arrested for reckless endangerment. If they just sit at home then probably nothing you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            We already answered you. They should be prosecuted for their actions. There are a host of available laws to cover such things, inciting panic, reckless endangerment, and if someone actually gets sick, assault, or if they die, manslaughter. For someone who gets himself infected on purpose, if they then go around spreading it, they should get arrested for reckless endangerment. If they just sit at home then probably nothing you can do.
                            I meant to change it away from the legal to the moral reasoning. I left off the sentence.

Comment

I meant to change it away from the legal to the moral reasoning. I left off the sentence.
                              oh. sorry.

I think it is immoral. And stupid. If you are trying to purposefully infect others with a dangerous disease, that is wrong. If it's a deadly disease (like HIV was) it's evil. I think it would be equivalent to going around poisoning people. Like the guy who poisoned the Tylenol back in the 80's. I consider it murder.

Comment