Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Communion, the Long-Distance Edition

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Communion, the Long-Distance Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yes, we will be investing in equipment to keep this up even after the crisis. And we'll even do ONLINE COMMUNION!!!! (I think that's due the 2nd week in April)
    My brother's friend is has a system that does multicasting for churches and other businesses. It's a service where you basically live cast to their server and they multicast it to various platforms, like youtube, facebook, twitter, etc. I think they are talking to one of the mega churches in Houston about it. Let me know if you are interested.

How will you do online communion? Do we have to have our own grape juice and crackers :-) ?

As far as online donations, I don't see that as something to be ashamed of. You would be using the money to help others, pay for the equipment, etc. I agree that promoting it during the sermons like a televangelist could give the wrong idea, but you could just put up a little graphic at the end with a web link or something. And I think you can set up donations through PayPal or even on facebook itself and put the link on the church page.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes...how will you do communion?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    roguetech is working on an automatic communion dispenser that will use a heat sensor to dispense a wafer and some wine when someone stands in front. I just need to get a squirt gun for the latter and print a sign instructing the person in front of it to open their mouth wide.

Sorry. Kinda in a goofy mood right now.

Okay, okay, "Goofier" mood.

But this actually a question I was wondering how different churches will handle.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

4. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We have communion with 3 of us every month. Mr. mossy leads, we break up a cracker and use a single serving grape juice box. Shared between the 3 of us it's lots more than the teeny cups in a church.

If everybody supplies their own juice and crackers I don't see why it would be a problem for a pastor to be leading via livestream

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

6. Amen Cow Poke, Thoughtful Monk amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    My brother's friend is has a system that does multicasting for churches and other businesses. It's a service where you basically live cast to their server and they multicast it to various platforms, like youtube, facebook, twitter, etc. I think they are talking to one of the mega churches in Houston about it. Let me know if you are interested.
    I'm looking at vMix - I think it allows me to simultaneously post to Facebook and Youtube. But I have no problem at all doing Facebook live, then saving that file and uploading it to Youtube.

How will you do online communion? Do we have to have our own grape juice and crackers :-) ?
    Affirmative. Or, you can even use wine!

As far as online donations, I don't see that as something to be ashamed of. You would be using the money to help others, pay for the equipment, etc. I agree that promoting it during the sermons like a televangelist could give the wrong idea, but you could just put up a little graphic at the end with a web link or something. And I think you can set up donations through PayPal or even on facebook itself and put the link on the church page.
    Yeah, not ashamed at all, just didn't want it to look like it was our main concern. And I think we DO have paypal account for the Church - those links will be forthcoming.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    We will be sharing the elements live "in house", and asking you to use your own grape juice or whatever you have, and I'll explain that it's the act of obedience and worship that God honors, and I really don't think He will smite us for not using unleavened bread and wine.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    We have communion with 3 of us every month. Mr. mossy leads, we break up a cracker and use a single serving grape juice box. Shared between the 3 of us it's lots more than the teeny cups in a church.

If everybody supplies their own juice and crackers I don't see why it would be a problem for a pastor to be leading via livestream
    Yeah! And I ALWAYS promote Communion the two weeks prior, so it doesn't just "show up on the agenda" on a Sunday Morning. People will have an opportunity to buy their own grape juice if they want to, and even some unleavened bread if they'd like.

10. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

It's only not a problem for Protestants with a low view of communion. It's not helpful for on the order of 3/4 of the world's Christians.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    It's only not a problem for Protestants with a low view of communion. It's not helpful for on the order of 3/4 of the world's Christians.
    Why do you assume that I, as a Protestant, have a low view of communion. I hold it in high honour and I take a bit of offense at your statement.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why do you assume that I, as a Protestant, have a low view of communion. I hold it in high honour and I take a bit of offense at your statement.
    As far as I can tell, you have a low view of communion; low church Protestants (of which you are one) tend to view it as either a symbol or an ordinance. You tack it on to your regular worship service on occasion. Compared with viewing it as the very body and blood of Christ, that IS a low view. Communion is the central part of high church worship - not something tacked on ever and anon. If I'm wrong about your view, I apologise.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist