Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Communion, the Long-Distance Edition

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    If the Eucharist is supposed to be the entire service, does this mean to the exclusion of all else? Paul did say that hymns and spiritual songs should be sung, after all, and Hebrews was written as a homily presumably to be read at a service, so I would have a hard time believing that nothing else should be done, unless I am misunderstanding your position here.
    Um.... you talkin' to me?

If so - when I say "the entire service", that doesn't mean we don't make announcements about upcoming events, or have the "chidlren's message", or take up the offering -- it simply means that the entire worship part of the service, including the hymns we sing, the scripture we read (including parts of the Hallel) the sermon I preach -- it's all about Communion.

We will have an "invitation" prior to distributing the elements for that "let a man examine himself" part, and after communion is over, we "sing a hymn and go out" (though we don't have any olive trees).
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    what if I don't have either?
    Be a Mormon - use water. Ya got that?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

3. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Um.... you talkin' to me?

If so - when I say "the entire service", that doesn't mean we don't make announcements about upcoming events, or have the "chidlren's message", or take up the offering -- it simply means that the entire worship part of the service, including the hymns we sing, the scripture we read (including parts of the Hallel) the sermon I preach -- it's all about Communion.

We will have an "invitation" prior to distributing the elements for that "let a man examine himself" part, and after communion is over, we "sing a hymn and go out" (though we don't have any olive trees).
    Oh, no, I was making sure that I understood OBP's point correctly, and I hadn't.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hey guys. It looks like FB took down all our services we did Sunday. Could you check on yours?

UPDATED: BHWAHAHAHAHA...stand down from Red Alert! They were moved into Videos on the church page.

CARRY ON.....
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 03-24-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Hey guys. It looks like FB took down all our services we did Sunday. Could you check on yours?

UPDATED: BHWAHAHAHAHA...stand down from Red Alert! They were moved into Videos on the church page.

CARRY ON.....
    I saved my Facebook Live stuff and uploaded it to Youtube. Just in case.

7. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Be a Mormon - use water. Ya got that?
    I am trying to get grape juice. But the grocery stores are low on everything. I know they are out of wine. I might have to use tortillas as the bread. I know OBP will probably think that is sacrilegious but it's all I have that is unleavened bread.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am trying to get grape juice. But the grocery stores are low on everything. I know they are out of wine. I might have to use tortillas as the bread. I know OBP will probably think that is sacrilegious but it's all I have that is unleavened bread.
    Under the circumstances I'm sure the Lord will understand.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

10. Amen Cow Poke, Thoughtful Monk amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, the East has used leavened bread since nearly the beginning, and that's what was normally used in most Protestant churches I attended. I would go with that over tortillas.

I also note that, in the underground church in Japan, the people resorted to fish and rice for communion.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Well, the East has used leavened bread since nearly the beginning, and that's what was normally used in most Protestant churches I attended. I would go with that over tortillas.

I also note that, in the underground church in Japan, the people resorted to fish and rice for communion.
    We also used to use bread in some services.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In an effort to limit my carbs, I eat my sandwich on a low carb tortilla every day for lunch. I like it fine TBH. It's esp. good for making a Tuna Wrap! They have a Spinach and a Tomato Basil that work well with tuna, canned chicken etc.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen