Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Communion, the Long-Distance Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    If the Eucharist is supposed to be the entire service, does this mean to the exclusion of all else? Paul did say that hymns and spiritual songs should be sung, after all, and Hebrews was written as a homily presumably to be read at a service, so I would have a hard time believing that nothing else should be done, unless I am misunderstanding your position here.
    It is not the entire service; it is the centerpiece of the service.

Analogously, in a Protestant service the sermon is typically the centerpiece of the service.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I realize this wasn't addressed to me, but when we have communion, it IS the service. I get what you mean when you say "tacked on", because I've been in Churches where it's pretty much after everything else is done, or squeezed in between other stuff, but our entire morning service, including hymns and sermon, are about communion on those Sundays.
      I appreciate that CP. Thanks.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I've had my own thoughts on Communion for awhile, and I've considered starting a thread on it, but part of me has been concerned that it's just me trying to force my own personal preferences on everyone else, which I know I have a bad habit of doing. But I'll do it anyway.

I have read that the early church treated it as more as a communal meal than as where somebody takes one piece of bread and one sip, and if this is true, I don't see any reason we shouldn't go toward that. (But on the other hand, I know there are some people who think Christians should only meet in houses because the first Christians do that, and I think it's obvious that they did that more because they obviously couldn't openly worship in churches, much less afford their own buildings, at first, so I don't think it's necessary. So I use this as a caution toward the line of thinking that we have to do things exactly like the first Christians do.)

Having said that, my own church has begun doing communal meals and I have found it to be an exceptional means of fellowship. I'm sort of lucky in that I attend a very small church where that's even practical, but it seems like something I could see the earliest Christians doing.

I do think we should drink wine. I just don't see any good reason not to offer it. My own church offers both wine and grape juice out of sensitivity toward recovering alcoholics or people with allergies, and those two exceptions seem reasonable to me, but that seems like about it to me. It seems strange not to do exactly as Jesus commanded IMO. (I remember attending a youth service as a teenager where tortilla chips and Coca Cola were offered. That seems almost blasphemous to me in retrospect.)
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Affirmative. Or, you can even use wine!
          what if I don't have either?

Comment

I've had my own thoughts on Communion for awhile, and I've considered starting a thread on it, but part of me has been concerned that it's just me trying to force my own personal preferences on everyone else, which I know I have a bad habit of doing. But I'll do it anyway.

I have read that the early church treated it as more as a communal meal than as where somebody takes one piece of bread and one sip, and if this is true, I don't see any reason we shouldn't go toward that. (But on the other hand, I know there are some people who think Christians should only meet in houses because the first Christians do that, and I think it's obvious that they did that more because they obviously couldn't openly worship in churches, much less afford their own buildings, at first, so I don't think it's necessary. So I use this as a caution toward the line of thinking that we have to do things exactly like the first Christians do.)

Having said that, my own church has begun doing communal meals and I have found it to be an exceptional means of fellowship. I'm sort of lucky in that I attend a very small church where that's even practical, but it seems like something I could see the earliest Christians doing.

I do think we should drink wine. I just don't see any good reason not to offer it. My own church offers both wine and grape juice out of sensitivity toward recovering alcoholics or people with allergies, and those two exceptions seem reasonable to me, but that seems like about it to me. It seems strange not to do exactly as Jesus commanded IMO. (I remember attending a youth service as a teenager where tortilla chips and Coca Cola were offered. That seems almost blasphemous to me in retrospect.)
            As far as I can tell, the separation of communion proper from a communal meal happened very early (and likely in response to abuses such as what Paul describes), and it became the practice to fast from food and water for a certain time before communion (with the communal meal following). Two weeks ago, my church didn't have a communal meal after the service for the first time in at least 17 years - and now we're pretty much completely shut down until this pandemic resolves.

sigpic

Comment

If the Eucharist is supposed to be the entire service, does this mean to the exclusion of all else? Paul did say that hymns and spiritual songs should be sung, after all, and Hebrews was written as a homily presumably to be read at a service, so I would have a hard time believing that nothing else should be done, unless I am misunderstanding your position here.
              Um.... you talkin' to me?

If so - when I say "the entire service", that doesn't mean we don't make announcements about upcoming events, or have the "chidlren's message", or take up the offering -- it simply means that the entire worship part of the service, including the hymns we sing, the scripture we read (including parts of the Hallel) the sermon I preach -- it's all about Communion.

We will have an "invitation" prior to distributing the elements for that "let a man examine himself" part, and after communion is over, we "sing a hymn and go out" (though we don't have any olive trees).
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                what if I don't have either?
                Be a Mormon - use water. Ya got that?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Um.... you talkin' to me?

If so - when I say "the entire service", that doesn't mean we don't make announcements about upcoming events, or have the "chidlren's message", or take up the offering -- it simply means that the entire worship part of the service, including the hymns we sing, the scripture we read (including parts of the Hallel) the sermon I preach -- it's all about Communion.

We will have an "invitation" prior to distributing the elements for that "let a man examine himself" part, and after communion is over, we "sing a hymn and go out" (though we don't have any olive trees).
                  Oh, no, I was making sure that I understood OBP's point correctly, and I hadn't.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Hey guys. It looks like FB took down all our services we did Sunday. Could you check on yours?

UPDATED: BHWAHAHAHAHA...stand down from Red Alert! They were moved into Videos on the church page.

CARRY ON.....
                    Last edited by DesertBerean; 03-24-2020, 08:38 PM.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      Hey guys. It looks like FB took down all our services we did Sunday. Could you check on yours?

UPDATED: BHWAHAHAHAHA...stand down from Red Alert! They were moved into Videos on the church page.

CARRY ON.....
                      I saved my Facebook Live stuff and uploaded it to Youtube. Just in case.

Comment

Be a Mormon - use water. Ya got that?
                        I am trying to get grape juice. But the grocery stores are low on everything. I know they are out of wine. I might have to use tortillas as the bread. I know OBP will probably think that is sacrilegious but it's all I have that is unleavened bread.

Comment

I am trying to get grape juice. But the grocery stores are low on everything. I know they are out of wine. I might have to use tortillas as the bread. I know OBP will probably think that is sacrilegious but it's all I have that is unleavened bread.
                          Under the circumstances I'm sure the Lord will understand.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Well, the East has used leavened bread since nearly the beginning, and that's what was normally used in most Protestant churches I attended. I would go with that over tortillas.

I also note that, in the underground church in Japan, the people resorted to fish and rice for communion.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Well, the East has used leavened bread since nearly the beginning, and that's what was normally used in most Protestant churches I attended. I would go with that over tortillas.

I also note that, in the underground church in Japan, the people resorted to fish and rice for communion.
                              We also used to use bread in some services.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

In an effort to limit my carbs, I eat my sandwich on a low carb tortilla every day for lunch. I like it fine TBH. It's esp. good for making a Tuna Wrap! They have a Spinach and a Tomato Basil that work well with tuna, canned chicken etc.
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X