Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Communion, the Long-Distance Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I've had my own thoughts on Communion for awhile, and I've considered starting a thread on it, but part of me has been concerned that it's just me trying to force my own personal preferences on everyone else, which I know I have a bad habit of doing. But I'll do it anyway.

I have read that the early church treated it as more as a communal meal than as where somebody takes one piece of bread and one sip, and if this is true, I don't see any reason we shouldn't go toward that. (But on the other hand, I know there are some people who think Christians should only meet in houses because the first Christians do that, and I think it's obvious that they did that more because they obviously couldn't openly worship in churches, much less afford their own buildings, at first, so I don't think it's necessary. So I use this as a caution toward the line of thinking that we have to do things exactly like the first Christians do.)

Having said that, my own church has begun doing communal meals and I have found it to be an exceptional means of fellowship. I'm sort of lucky in that I attend a very small church where that's even practical, but it seems like something I could see the earliest Christians doing.

I do think we should drink wine. I just don't see any good reason not to offer it. My own church offers both wine and grape juice out of sensitivity toward recovering alcoholics or people with allergies, and those two exceptions seem reasonable to me, but that seems like about it to me. It seems strange not to do exactly as Jesus commanded IMO. (I remember attending a youth service as a teenager where tortilla chips and Coca Cola were offered. That seems almost blasphemous to me in retrospect.)
    Beautifully expressed.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X