Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Hospitals considering universal DNR for covid patients.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospitals considering universal DNR for covid patients.

This is terrible.

If you have a heart attack or something in the hospital, they are now talking about just letting you die, no matter what you or your family want.

Sounds like another taste of what socialized medicine would be like.

-------
    Hospitals consider do-not-resuscitate order for all COVID-19 patients

Some hospitals are considering do-not-resuscitate orders for all COVID-19 patients, citing the high exposure risk for staff as protective equipment supplies run low, The Washington Post reports.

Chicago-based Northwestern Memorial Hospital is currently discussing a universal DNR policy for COVID-19 patients, regardless of patient or family wishes. Hospital administrators have asked Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker to clarify if state law would allow such policy changes.
    https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...-patients.html
    ---------

You'd get that kind of decision making with limited resources in any system, socialized medicine or not.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

It's simple triage.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Sounds like another taste of what socialized medicine would be like.
        You're attacking socialized medicine with a failure of non-socialized medicine.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
          You're attacking socialized medicine with a failure of non-socialized medicine.
          Yes, I recognize the irony.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
            It's simple triage.
            not really. It is prioritizing the doctors over the patient's welfare. They don't want to expose the doctors to the virus in order to resuscitate someone who is coding.

Comment

We don't have that sort of thing going on here........yet.........

So not all socialized medicine uses that feature.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                We don't have that sort of thing going on here........yet.........

So not all socialized medicine uses that feature.
                I was reminded of the UK case of the child that they refused to treat, or even allow to leave to country to be treated because they decided it was futile.

Comment

I was reminded of the UK case of the child that they refused to treat, or even allow to leave to country to be treated because they decided it was futile.
                  Yeah.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

not really. It is prioritizing the doctors over the patient's welfare. They don't want to expose the doctors to the virus in order to resuscitate someone who is coding.
                    The doctors's welfare is equivalent to patients's. Many many doctors are not allowed to work because they test positive for the virus, meaning less and poorer treatment available for patients as the remaining doctors are overworked even more.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                      The doctors's welfare is equivalent to patients's. Many many doctors are not allowed to work because they test positive for the virus, meaning less and poorer treatment available for patients as the remaining doctors are overworked even more.
                      I have disagreed strongly with demi recently, but here he has a point. Doctors are dying from covid, and a dead doctor aint gonna be very good at treating patients. It's the responsibility of the government and healthcare provider to ensure staff have effective PPE to ensure their safety as best as possible.
                      ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

Comment

Originally posted by JimboJSR View Post
                        I have disagreed strongly with demi recently, but here he has a point. Doctors are dying from covid, and a dead doctor aint gonna be very good at treating patients. It's the responsibility of the government and healthcare provider to ensure staff have effective PPE to ensure their safety as best as possible.
                        read the article. They have the PPE but say they don't have time to put it on before going in for the code. I would think they would have people in an ICU already suited up since they have to check on their patients fairly often. Sounds like a "likely excuse" to me.

Comment

read the article. They have the PPE but say they don't have time to put it on before going in for the code. I would think they would have people in an ICU already suited up since they have to check on their patients fairly often. Sounds like a "likely excuse" to me.
                          That's odd. In our hospital, if someone arrested we would put on full PPE and then go in. It would delay onset of CPR, which would reduce the chance the patient would survive (frankly, someone who has a cardiac arrest because of covid has a very low chance of leaving hospital alive anyway), but we would (a) still protect the healthcare worker, and (b) still do CPR if it was clinically appropriate.
                          ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

Comment

Originally posted by JimboJSR View Post
                            That's odd. In our hospital, if someone arrested we would put on full PPE and then go in. It would delay onset of CPR, which would reduce the chance the patient would survive (frankly, someone who has a cardiac arrest because of covid has a very low chance of leaving hospital alive anyway), but we would (a) still protect the healthcare worker, and (b) still do CPR if it was clinically appropriate.
                            yeah, but you wouldn't just go, "well he is just gonna die" and DNR him. that's what bugs me.

Comment

Sparko, do you remember how the CDC and Surgeon General of the USA lied by saying that masks are useless? This is probably also a lie for the same reason, not enough PPE.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X