Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Epidemiologist Drastically Reduces COVID-19 Estimates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    There you go again - off with the paranoid conspiracy Thing. Again, we know its origin both genetically and geographically.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0317175442.htm
    From your article:

In the other proposed scenario, a non-pathogenic version of the virus jumped from an animal host into humans and then evolved to its current pathogenic state within the human population. ...

Then the other distinct spike protein characteristic of SARS-CoV-2, the cleavage site, could have evolved within a human host, possibly via limited undetected circulation in the human population prior to the beginning of the epidemic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      A New York Times columnist blames this whole situation on Christians, because supposedly science and religion are antithetical.

https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2020...irus-pandemic/
      Simplico will undoubtedly be gleefully posting those accusations soon.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        From your article:

In the other proposed scenario, a non-pathogenic version of the virus jumped from an animal host into humans and then evolved to its current pathogenic state within the human population. ...

Then the other distinct spike protein characteristic of SARS-CoV-2, the cleavage site, could have evolved within a human host, possibly via limited undetected circulation in the human population prior to the beginning of the epidemic.
        I kinda suspect by "population" they meant locally and not half way around the world.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          From your article:

Indeed. Keeping in mind that is one of two scenarios offered, and not necessarily the most likely scenario.

But to be undetected, it would be asymptomatic or nearly so - not something with a 1% kill rate. That element of it evolved in a specific area and spread from there in both proposed scenarios.

Keep in mind that is one possible scenario of two offered. The other does not allow for pre wuhan spread of the virus in the human population.

Further, there is no evidence of spread outside china of anything like some asymptomatic predecessor in the human population prior to Wuhan.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It makes you wonder, if President Trump is really as bad as liberals say he is, then why do to they have to keep telling lies in an attempt to make him look bad?
            I've noted previously and on other subjects than those about Trump that when you find it necessary to support your position by fabricating and spreading falsehoods you are tacitly admitting that your position is unfounded or has little merit.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I've noted previously and on other subjects than those about Trump that when you find it necessary to support your position by fabricating and spreading falsehoods you are tacitly admitting that your position is unfounded or has little merit.
              Do you realize you just said 95% of Trump's positions are unfounded and have little merit.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Do you realize you just said 95% of Trump's positions are unfounded and have little merit.
                Reading comprehension fail.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  And yet incontrovertibly true.
                  This isn't helpful, either.

Even if it were true.

Comment

Reading comprehension fail.
                    Actually, no. He's insinuating that Trump "find[s] it necessary to support [his] position by fabricating and spreading falsehoods." Just more of his usual schtick.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                      This isn't helpful, either.

Even if it were true.
                      So in your view truth isn't helpful?

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                        R0 and fatality rates are not biological constants
                        It's clear that risk of death increases with certain preexisting conditions. This means that fatality rates are not constant, they are going to be different for different countries, and could explain why outcomes are different in different countries, eg some countries have more diabetes cases, some have more heart problems, etc.
                        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                          If it was the coronavirus last fall or winter, then how much the Chinese covered up since late December didn't matter much. If the mild cases are so mistakable for flu, it would have spread to half the countries before the Chinese noticed that something was significantly different and decided to figure it out.
                          We already know there are at least two strains extant -- "S" and "L" -- with one (I forget which) apparently being more virulent. Do we know with any certainty which came first? Are we sure the relatively milder one was not already in circulation in Nov. or Dec. and mistaken for "common" flu?
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                            So yeah, this is good news if we can achieve and maintain suppression until there's a vaccine.
                            If "suppression" means "shutdown" for several months, let alone the 18 months needed to achieve a vaccine, it's not possible.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              We already know there are at least two strains extant -- "S" and "L" -- with one (I forget which) apparently being more virulent. Do we know with any certainty which came first? Are we sure the relatively milder one was not already in circulation in Nov. or Dec. and mistaken for "common" flu?
                              Actually, there are eight strains, and no strain seems to be less dangerous than others. One thing identifying those strains has allowed us is to determine where in the world the various outbreaks came from, which set of travelers brought them in.

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              If "suppression" means "shutdown" for several months, let alone the 18 months needed to achieve a vaccine, it's not possible.
                              Suppression does not mean shutdown.

We are faced with the shutdown because of the lack of testing, countries with testing capability are able to tailor the response to the changing conditions of the epidemic.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                Do you have a source for this? I'd love to look at it.

Thanks!
                                http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...eport-March-16

Comment