Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

We're Number One!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Yeah, Schumer did send that letter, and Trump nailed him to the wall for his ignorance.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...irus-criticism
    Yeah, he invoked the DPA, but way to late, and that's the point. He was late at doing everything. Had he not dilly dallied, pretending the virus wasn't serious, and conveying that unserious message to the public, instead of jumping right on it in order to contain the spread, then he may have never needed to invoke the DPA in the first place. Yes, China lied and covered it up, but so did Trump once he was aware of it and we are where we are now because of his incompetence.
    Last edited by JimL; 04-05-2020, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Yeah, he invoked the DPA, but way to late, and that's the point. He was late at doing everything. Had he not dilly dallied, pretending the virus wasn't serious, and conveying that unserious message to the public, instead of jumping right on it in order to contain the spread, then he may have never needed to invoke the DPA in the first place. Yes, China lied and covered it up, but so did Trump once he was aware of it and we are where we are now because of his incompetence.
      Do you think the President waves a magic wand and face mask appear out of nowhere?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Do you think the President waves a magic wand and face mask appear out of nowhere?
        No one has argued that, so it's not surprising that you would bring it up.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          No one has argued that, so it's not surprising that you would bring it up.
          Yet you are, there may very well be building them as fast as they can and can’t go any faster, no matter what anyone says.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Yet you are, there may very well be building them as fast as they can and can’t go any faster, no matter what anyone says.
            It's not about how fast they are building anything, it's about how slowly Trump reacted and got the ball moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
              Jim’s point is that regardless of land size, the urgency in developing and then testing for it was still severely delayed.
              I think the takeaway is that South Korea treated the threat of pandemic seriously, and responded by using the advice of public health professionals. Yes they successfully launched an efficient testing program. The US response has shown a marked political emphasis, downplaying the advice, recommendation, wisdom public health has picked up from past epidemics.

When has any American actually had their daily life impacted? I know I have never had my life disrupted due to some invisible threat of an epidemic. A few times in this century, Asian countries have faced serious problems from a pandemic, and it is those countries which provide models to follow.

Comment

Yeah, Schumer did send that letter, and Trump nailed him to the wall for his ignorance.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...irus-criticism
                Out of interest I saw a YouTube clip of AOC highlights in Congress and I was very impressed. I have a feeling she will be president one day.

Comment

The US has more corona virus cases than any other country in the world. https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...of-coronavirus

I doubt if NPR is getting funds from China for publishing the fact that we have more cases than China. China has a larger population, and had the the unenviable situation of facing the novel (new) virus when it was really new, a novum.

Singapore and South Korea has done a good job,a model for other countries.

My question is whether Trump's example is one the world should follow for a future epidemic.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/26/covid-19-tracker/
                  You’re not very bright, are you? Do you want to take a guess why the coronavirus is less of a problem in the Southern Hemisphere or in the warmer climates?
                  Speaking of being "not very bright", you don't seem to know that all those places are actually in the Northern hemisphere.

Cue endless insults, denial of error and finally tirade about nit-picking.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

The US’s infection rate, per million, isn’t the best nor the worst. Looks like things are going the best they could.
                    The US is both more populous and more sparsely populated than the worst affected European countries. It would take longer for the virus to spread throughout the US population than it would to spread through Italy, Spain, the UK or France. Since Americans are not taking as many precautions as Europeans are, I expect that the US will soon overtake Europe in terms of infection rate per million. Note that the US is already higher than most European countries, including Sweden, Ireland, Iceland, UK, Denmark, Finland, Poland and Greece.

P.S. One interesting snippet: the country with the current highest infection rate is the Vatican State.
                    Last edited by Roy; 04-06-2020, 05:53 AM.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Dr. Fauci has said that based on the information we had, and when we had it, there was nothing we could have done to stop the China flu from entering the US. If China had been open and honest about this from the very beginning, in October, or even earlier, ...
                      Earlier than October? Exactly what do you think the Chinese government should have said in September???

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                        Out of interest I saw a YouTube clip of AOC highlights in Congress and I was very impressed. I have a feeling she will be president one day.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                          Earlier than October? Exactly what do you think the Chinese government should have said in September???
                          We don't know how long they've really known about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            The US is both more populous and more sparsely populated than the worst affected European countries. It would take longer for the virus to spread throughout the US population than it would to spread through Italy, Spain, the UK or France. Since Americans are not taking as many precautions as Europeans are, I expect that the US will soon overtake Europe in terms of infection rate per million. Note that the US is already higher than most European countries, including Sweden, Ireland, Iceland, UK, Denmark, Finland, Poland and Greece.

P.S. One interesting snippet: the country with the current highest infection rate is the Vatican State.
                            Which means the US needs to let the far spread out states and cities and make decisions best suited for each location.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

We don't know how long they've really known about this.
                              We know how fast the virus spread through Spain and Italy after the first known cases. If there had been some threat for the Chinese government to be open about back in September, the whole covid-19 timeline would have been shifted back by at least two months. The Hubei/Wuhan lockdown would have taken place in October or November. Italy and other countries would have seen their first cases in November, not January. In fact, given the speed of spread in Italy and Spain, if the virus had really started spreading back in September, those two countries would have been seeing and reporting it before China did!

So some of us really do know that there are definite limits on how long the virus has been spreading, and how long the Chinese authorities can have had relevant knowledge they could have shared.

You're calling me ignorant because you don't know something.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                                We know how fast the virus spread through Spain and Italy after the first known cases. If there had been some threat for the Chinese government to be open about back in September, the whole covid-19 timeline would have been shifted back by at least two months. The Hubei/Wuhan lockdown would have taken place in October or November. Italy and other countries would have seen their first cases in November, not January. In fact, given the speed of spread in Italy and Spain, if the virus had really started spreading back in September, those two countries would have been seeing and reporting it before China did!

So some of us really do know that there are definite limits on how long the virus has been spreading, and how long the Chinese authorities can have had relevant knowledge they could have shared.

You're calling me ignorant because you don't know something.
                                We only have some idea of when the Chinese government lost control. We really don't know much more beyond that.

Comment