Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

We're Number One!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    The US’s infection rate, per million, isn’t the best nor the worst. Looks like things are going the best they could. Only if China said something before vs hiding it and letting us all have to muddle through.
    Dr. Fauci has said that based on the information we had, and when we had it, there was nothing we could have done to stop the China flu from entering the US. If China had been open and honest about this from the very beginning, in October, or even earlier, then, yes, we could have done a lot more. But by the time everybody had a decent handle on what was really going on, it was too late, and the only thing we could do at that point was try to limit the spread.

"I don’t think anything would have prevented the spread of this virus. Once it emerged into society, with its capability of efficient spread and morbidity and mortality, that was it. But what could have been different…is that, if we had known that this was highly transmissible early on, when it was just in China, I think other countries would have maybe been more quick on the trigger to try and inhibit travel from China to their country. … So, that delay in transparency, I think, likely had an impact on what I just said, the awareness that this could seed the rest of the world."
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
      Yes, China lied, China covered-up, just like Mexico covered-up the swine flu, but covering up has nothing to do with the response after the cover-up is uncovered. And no, things are not going the best they could, if you want to see the best they could've gone, look to the results of S. Korea's fast response with respect to testing and containing. They didn't have to shut down the economy and pay out trillions in bailouts either.
      South Korea is roughly the size of one of our states with a much more contained population. Try comparing apples to apples.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Dr. Fauci has said that based on the information we had, and when we had it, there was nothing we could have done to stop the China flu from entering the US. If China had been open and honest about this from the very beginning, in October, or even earlier, then, yes, we could have done a lot more. But by the time everybody had a decent handle on what was really going on, it was too late, and the only thing we could do at that point was try to limit the spread.

"I don’t think anything would have prevented the spread of this virus. Once it emerged into society, with its capability of efficient spread and morbidity and mortality, that was it. But what could have been different…is that, if we had known that this was highly transmissible early on, when it was just in China, I think other countries would have maybe been more quick on the trigger to try and inhibit travel from China to their country. … So, that delay in transparency, I think, likely had an impact on what I just said, the awareness that this could seed the rest of the world."
        If China acted sooner, I do believe the spread could have been more easily contained and work on effective treatments further along too. China, no doubt, would had suffered an economic hit, but could had developed good will across the world. In many ways, this thing has exposed China for the corrupt, brutal regime they truly are and I think the long term fallout is going to be worse vs simply taking the hit early on. I won’t be shocked if some companies and countries start pulling manufacturing back home, over the next decade.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

If China acted sooner, I do believe the spread could have been more easily contained and work on effective treatments further along too. China, no doubt, would had suffered an economic hit, but could had developed good will across the world.
          That's true, China didn't act soon enough, and neither did Trump once he became aware of the problem. Trump lied just like China did, covered-up just like China did, not about the existence of a virus, but about the seriousness of it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            That's true, China didn't act soon enough, and neither did Trump once he became aware of the problem. Trump lied just like China did, covered-up just like China did, not about the existence of a virus, but about the seriousness of it.
            Up until January, so was the rest of the world. Again, blame China for all their lies.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Up until January, so was the rest of the world. Again, blame China for all their lies.
              You can continue to blame China while still doing everything you can to try and mitigate the damage. The immediate problem now is the lack of supplies so make more supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                You can continue to blame China while still doing everything you can to try and mitigate the damage. The immediate problem now is the lack of supplies so make more supplies.
                And where do those supplies come from?
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And where do those supplies come from?
                  By directing companies to manufacture them.

Comment

South Korea is roughly the size of one of our states with a much more contained population. Try comparing apples to apples.
                    Right, so you take the same actions, with the same immediacy, throughout this big country that S. Korea did in it's small country. Besides that, The Trump Administration didn't even match in this country what S Korea did in their little country. Like I pointed out many times, S. Korea had their own test up and running within a week of the first confirmed case and were testing 10's of thousands of cases a day, hundreds of thousands of cases before the U.S. even got started. And they weren't out there lying to the public about it not being serious, that like a miracle it would puff, disappear in a few weeks, or that there are 15 cases now and like magic it will be zero cases in a few weeks. Trying to downplay it, lying about it, isn't the way to defeat it, as a matter of fact downplaying it has just the opposite effect. And that, on top of such a slow rollout of testing and containment is how you end up with an economic shutdown and trillion dollar bailouts.
                    Last edited by JimL; 04-05-2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

What do you think Trump has done? He even invoked the defense production act.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                        Right, so you take the same actions, with the same immediacy, throughout this big country that S. Korea did in it's small country.
                        This makes the very shaky assumption that S. Korea's approach can simply be scaled up to the landmass of the United States and its widely dispersed, non-centralized population. I would love to see a detailed defense of this assumption.

Comment

And do you think this is an instant reaction thing? They may very well already be capped out on production and can’t make them any faster.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

What do you think Trump has done? He even invoked the defense production act.
                            Ok if that’s the case great! I thought Schumer sent him a letter regarding that and it wasn’t taken up.

Comment

This makes the very shaky assumption that S. Korea's approach can simply be scaled up to the landmass of the United States and its widely dispersed, non-centralized population. I would love to see a detailed defense of this assumption.
                              Jim’s point is that regardless of land size, the urgency in developing and then testing for it was still severely delayed.

Comment

Ok if that’s the case great! I thought Schumer sent him a letter regarding that and it wasn’t taken up.
                                Yeah, Schumer did send that letter, and Trump nailed him to the wall for his ignorance.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...irus-criticism

Comment