Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Shroud of Turin - New Date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
    I'm fairly sure Italian experts, way before this, used this computer imaging software to determin it couldn't have been faked.
    Disagree, like many claims of shroud(s) of the time, pigments found on the shroud, and the anatomical problems with the image it was likely faked.

Source: http://www.mcri.org/home/section/63-64/the-shroud-of-turin

According to Dr. Walter McCrone and his colleagues, the 3+ by 14+ foot cloth depicting Christ’s crucified body is an inspired painting produced by a Medieval artist just before its first appearance in recorded history in 1356.

The faint sepia image is made up of billions of submicron pigment particles (red ochre and vermilion) in a collagen tempera medium. The pigments red ochre and vermilion with the collagen tempera medium was a common paint composition during the 14th century; before which, no one had ever heard of the Shroud.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-28-2014, 12:33 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      No, it isn't - they're talking about the '78 exam. And I said my article stated the samples were from '88.

Haven't had your coffee yet, huh?
      It's the same people, the same timeframe, the same book, and the same methodology. The difference between Wikipedia and USA Today is where the samples originate.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Meh, people have been debating wheyher it's authentic or not since the Middle Ages.
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

There's an explanation for that - but that's another thread.
          Can we start a thread? As I'm interested in what that explanation is.
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Sure - but it'll be several days before I get to it - really busy and I owe RW a response as it is. PM me the link.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
              It's the same people, the same timeframe, the same book, and the same methodology. The difference between Wikipedia and USA Today is where the samples originate.
              1988 and 1978 are the same timeframe?

The problem Wiki talks about is the secondary way that the '78 samples were obtained (and I agree - way too many problems with that). The new attempt uses the '88 samples - which have a completely different set of problems that Wiki doesn't mention. It must be discussing the first attempt and not the present one - the sample dates make that clear.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

a bit out of date, but Frank Turek interviewed Gary Habermas on the Shroud a few years back on Cross Examined.

http://mediaserver3.afa.net/archives...NKT_012112.mp3

He also gave a lecture at The Christian Apologetics Conference in Gothenburg, Sweden titled: The Shroud of Turin: A Non-Reproducible Artifact That Points To A Supernatural Cause
                http://www.garyhabermas.com/audio/Ha...%201%20E1b.mp3
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

1988 and 1978 are the same timeframe?

The problem Wiki talks about is the secondary way that the '78 samples were obtained (and I agree - way too many problems with that). The new attempt uses the '88 samples - which have a completely different set of problems that Wiki doesn't mention. It must be discussing the first attempt and not the present one - the sample dates make that clear.
                  The article you linked is dated March of 2013. The segment Rogue linked refers to events in 2013. That's the timeframe I'm talking about.

I don't know what present attempt you're referring to. The article you linked is over a year old.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                    The article you linked is dated March of 2013. The segment Rogue linked refers to events in 2013. That's the timeframe I'm talking about.

I don't know what present attempt you're referring to. The article you linked is over a year old.
                    Rogue's link talks about the '78 samples where the USA one talks about the '88 samples - they cannot be the same attempt regardless of year. Best guess is Wiki is out of date and referring to an earlier event (why else would anyone use the '78 samples under such bad collection?) - dunno and really don't care. I just wanted to know what the technique was.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment