Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020: The Year the Earth Stood Still

Clever title, no?

No matter what you think about the coronavirus, whether it is the next plague or just overblown nonsense, the fact remains that it has affected our way of life. The world has come to a standstill; millions unemployed; billions isolated at home.

In fact, we are living during a time history will remember for hundreds of years to come, just like the Spanish Flu, World Wars 1 & 2, and the great Depression from the 20th Century. 2020 will stand in History as one of the hardest times the world has gone through. This is historic. Your grandkids will want to know "what did you do during the coronavirus, grandpa and grandma?"

So, imagine 100 years from now, some internet archeologist, digging through the data dust of the net, comes across this thread in some long, lost archive.

What would you like him to know about what we are going through right now? What was 2020 like? This is your time capsule.

Try not to fight too much.

While the year 2000 is remembered as Y2K we'll likely remember 2020 as Y2-Ply.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Clever title, no?

No matter what you think about the coronavirus, whether it is the next plague or just overblown nonsense, the fact remains that it has affected our way of life. The world has come to a standstill; millions unemployed; billions isolated at home.

In fact, we are living during a time history will remember for hundreds of years to come, just like the Spanish Flu, World Wars 1 & 2, and the great Depression from the 20th Century. 2020 will stand in History as one of the hardest times the world has gone through. This is historic. Your grandkids will want to know "what did you do during the coronavirus, grandpa and grandma?"

So, imagine 100 years from now, some internet archeologist, digging through the data dust of the net, comes across this thread in some long, lost archive.

What would you like him to know about what we are going through right now? What was 2020 like? This is your time capsule.

Try not to fight too much.
      I'd like him to know that even though the virus is a serious threat that the round-the-clock itself is causing panic.

Comment

2020 is, right now, a piece of Edited by a Moderator. Simple as that. Sorry I didn't contribute much.

Moderated By: rogue06

There were a whole lotta of other words you could've used to express this.

Please be more careful in the future. Thanks.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
        Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by rogue06; 03-29-2020, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
          2020 is, right now, a piece of Edited by a Moderator. Simple as that. Sorry I didn't contribute much.

Moderated By: rogue06

There were a whole lotta of other words you could've used to express this.

Please be more careful in the future. Thanks.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Sorry about that, Rogue.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
            Sorry about that, Rogue.
            Your faux pas will now be in the history books.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Your faux pas will now be in the history books.
              Saying a naughty word?

Apologizing to me?

Of course the only correct answer here is "yes"

Although "bacon" will as always be accepted.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                While the year 2000 is remembered as Y2K we'll likely remember 2020 as Y2-Ply.
                And the baby boom from couples forced into home isolation will be called Generation coronials!

Comment

So I have been working from home for 3 weeks now. The only times I have gone out has been to get groceries, prescriptions filled and once to the hospital to get blood drawn for lab work (routine monthly thing) - when I go out I have been wearing N95 masks (given to me by the hospital, so no I am not hoarding them). I have 3 of them, which I cycle through, disinfecting them with lysol and leaving them for at least a week before touching them, hopefully that kills any virus on them.

I am one of the ones who is at high risk. I am immuno-suppressed had a recent heart bypass, type 2 diabetes, 59 years old. If I catch this thing, it won't be good.

Luckily, I am a home-body anyway, so I like working from home. I am using the internet to keep in touch with friends and family. Facebook, theologyweb, skype. My dog Jake (schnauzer) likes having me home too. I am grateful I still have a job and one that is fitted well to working remotely. I work in litigation support/IT at a law firm. And apparently law firms are considered "essential businesses" - probably because businesses need advice on how to handle the new laws and regulations, how to handle employees, and getting the new SBA loans and grants.

As a Christian, I have been praying a lot, for the doctors and nurses who are at the front lines of this fight, for those who are infected, and even for myself so I don't catch it. I believe we will get through this soon and with God's help. In the meantime, I am attending church via the internet. I finally have a chance to attend Cow Poke's church in Texas :woo-hoo:)

Sparko

Comment