Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Church nonessential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Rogue, simplicio has not said anything on this site that would indicate he is not a believer or does not follow Christ. And I have not seen him treat believers as a whole as 'the other'. You are conflating a particular secular political and ideological platform and faith in Christ. The two are not one, and in many elements diametrically opposed.
    For some it has become one. Their entire worldview, their ideas about right and wrong, have been so affected by the unholy alliance that they rely on relativism to at least pretend it is not that bad.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      We'll see. According to my local news this morning, we're still two weeks from peak in my area. I'll bet by then Cuomo won't be doing daily news conferences and the media will be saying all is well in New York because all is well in the City and that is all that matters.

I see you
      I hope, for your sake, that you are wrong. Such an outcome would be a travesty and I would be seriously disappointed in Cuomo.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]44027[/ATTACH]

Don't make me laugh.
        Back when we were doing the Flame Warrior avatar thing, I was the Evil Clown.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Back when we were doing the Flame Warrior avatar thing, I was the Evil Clown.
          00000000000000ars3.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
            Might want to check again, or are you just trolling?
            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            You are assuming that he's still RC and not abandoned his faith. Given the nature of his posts the that he has aposticized is far more likely.
            By the numbers (from 2012), I'd say the RCs are in a much better position to say y'all are the ones who aren't Christian.
            Christians

Christians number 2.2 billion, or about one-in-three (32%) people worldwide. About half of all Christians are Catholic (50%). An estimated 37% of Christians belong to the Protestant tradition, broadly defined to include Anglicans as well as independent and nondenominational churches. The Orthodox Communion, including the Greek and Russian Orthodox, make up 12% of Christians. And people who belong to other traditions that view themselves as Christian (including Christian Scientists, Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses) make up about 1% of the global Christian population.

Comment

By the numbers (from 2012), I'd say the RCs are in a much better position to say y'all are the ones who aren't Christian.
              Christians

Christians number 2.2 billion, or about one-in-three (32%) people worldwide. About half of all Christians are Catholic (50%). An estimated 37% of Christians belong to the Protestant tradition, broadly defined to include Anglicans as well as independent and nondenominational churches. The Orthodox Communion, including the Greek and Russian Orthodox, make up 12% of Christians. And people who belong to other traditions that view themselves as Christian (including Christian Scientists, Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses) make up about 1% of the global Christian population.
              Some Christians are Catholics, but not all Catholics are Christians.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Some Christians are Catholics, but not all Catholics are Christians.
                Which could be said of any Christian sect...
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Christians

My comment had more to do with the technical distinctions of material vs formal heresies, and the differences between heresy and those who embrace heresy. Since heresy is such a loaded term, few who use the term are willing to discuss what is meant, which is why I asked if you were trolling, posting an inflammatory and digressive message for the purposes pf provoking a reaction and being divisive.

/fencing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                    We'll see. According to my local news this morning, we're still two weeks from peak in my area. I'll bet by then Cuomo won't be doing daily news conferences and the media will be saying all is well in New York because all is well in the City and that is all that matters.

I see you
                    Do you really believe that Cuomo would abandon his responsibilities to the millions of NY citizens who are not downstate? If he does, then he will preside over a disaster.

No locality has resources to battle an emergency on its own resources. There is not enough medical supplies available to combat this if each locality maintains its own stockpile. But if the resources are directed to the areas most in need, then there will be (almost) enough. Which is why hoarding is problematic. Inventories are a drain, business learned that decades ago, which is why all businesses minimize inventory.

The fact is that upstate is being resupplied, if not fast enough. The cupboards were bare, and still are, upstate. That is in spite of record usage of PPE.

Comment