Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Church nonessential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    Has Oxmix posted that he withholds prayers for Trump?

How much respect do you (or others) have for Christians like Nancy Pelosi?
    Or Barack Obama...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I do pray for Donald Trump, especially in this time. We now more more than ever need God to change him and make him into a person that will be and do the right things right now.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Do you think he sincerely prays for President Trump and then comes here to post vile, nasty things about him?
        Probably not. I prayed for Obama, but I was certainly much more quick to criticize him. Same with Dear Leader Wolf and most other Dems. :-/
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I notice he deleted the second question...

He does that a lot. My suspicion is it is because the questions/statements he deletes hit close to home and he has little/no answer for them. Better to pretend they never happened. He's not the only one doing that on this forum.
          Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-04-2020, 09:26 AM.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            I do pray for Donald Trump, especially in this time. We now more more than ever need God to change him and make him into a person that will be and do the right things right now.
            Unfortunately, that is most likely to fall on deaf ears. Too many on the right view "criticism" as "betrayal" or "hatred." Ergo, it is impossible to be critical of a person and still love and/or support them or wish them well.

Don't get me wrong, I am by no means saying that I love or support Mr. Trump. He's a foul human being that shows no signs whatsoever of wanting or trying to change. The sooner he is out of that office the better off we all will be. So I am critical of him AND I dislike him in the extreme. But that is because of who and what he is, how he acts, and what he says. I have no patience for bullies, liars, and trolls and he is all three rolled up in one neat package. If I do indeed have TDS, it's because I caught it from him! Orange-man is indeed bad.

But I love my son intensely - and I am simultaneously critical of him and angry with him for the things he is doing and the harm he is causing. So I understand the possibility of love and a desire to support mixing with criticism and anger. I have no problem believing that you are both praying for Mr. Trump and criticizing his actions and words.

What does surprise me is other Christians questioning the honesty of the internal dynamics of another Christian. Apparently, unless you agree with them across the board - you are a deceitful, loathsome thing.

Welcome to my world!

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedmprig View Post
              I notice he deleted the second question...

He does that a lot. My suspicion is it is because the questions/statements he deletes hit close to home and he has little/no answer for them. Better to pretend they never happened. He's not the only one doing that on this forum.
              No, I deleted the second question simply because there is no comparison to the way Democrats leaders like Nancy Pelosi are criticized and the over the top, mean spirited vilification of your President that is spewed daily by prigs like you and ox. You have an excuse, at least, because you're not a Christian with a, shall we say, very "flexible" moral standard, but what about ox?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                Probably not. I prayed for Obama, but I was certainly much more quick to criticize him. Same with Dear Leader Wolf and most other Dems. :-/
                Not sure you said what you meant to say there. Nevertheless, to pray for a leader does not mean one stops telling the truth about what they are doing or have done, nor does it mean you will overlook the consequences of the bad things they have done or are doing. To assume that because I am critical of Trump that I do not pray for him is essentially a form of self-righteousness and judgement.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

To assume that because I am critical of Trump that I do not pray for him is essentially a form of self-righteousness and judgement.
                  You're not merely critical of Trump, you are mean, nasty, and hateful.

Comment

Do you think he sincerely prays for President Trump and then comes here to post vile, nasty things about him?
                    “Please God, make that Trump guy more humble, like me!”
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      Trust me, Jim, I know the real ones are still out there. Indeed, some of my closest friends are Christian.

Seriously, given my years in the seminary, it is inevitable that I would have close Christian friends, as well as close atheist friends. My comments were not intended to cast aspersions on Christians everywhere anymore than I would cast aspersions on Muslims (my neighbor) or Buddhists (my brother) or Hindus (I actually don't know any personally). There are good and bad people claiming all of those beliefs, and there are good and bad atheists as well. Like you, I watch some of my fellow atheists and cringe.

And don't get me wrong - my beliefs about god (any version thereof) have nothing to do with the actions of the people that claim allegiance to any of these beings. Those beliefs spring from years and decades of exploring, probing, and asking, "what is and is not real here?" I won't say my beliefs are unassailable because I don't think anyone should have unassailable beliefs. We all have a certain possibility/probability of being wrong at any given moment, and to claim unassailable beliefs means we can never discover those errors. But I am as certain about them as I am about the theories of evolution or atoms. So "bad people exist" and "god does not exist" are not completely unrelated, but the former does not necessarily lead to the latter.

The question here was about the "essential" nature of religions. That was what I was responding to. I have come to believe we have reached a tipping point where religions are now doing more harm than they are doing good, in many, many ways. While I do not advocate for their forceful removal any more than I would advocate for forcing the KKK or Black Lives Matter to disband, I do no think they are essential or should be treated as such.
                      Your rejection let’s me know I’m on the right path.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Not sure you said what you meant to say there. Nevertheless, to pray for a leader does not mean one stops telling the truth about what they are doing or have done, nor does it mean you will overlook the consequences of the bad things they have done or are doing. To assume that because I am critical of Trump that I do not pray for him is essentially a form of self-righteousness and judgement.
                        Your hatred shines through every post you make.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No, I deleted the second question simply because there is no comparison to the way Democrats leaders like Nancy Pelosi are criticized and the over the top, mean spirited vilification of your President that is spewed daily by prigs like you and ox. You have an excuse, at least, because you're not a Christian with a, shall we say, very "flexible" moral standard, but what about ox?
                          Oh my word, are you for real, MM? You yourself have been demonizing Nancy Pelosi for years, just like you did Obama, Clinton and every other powerful democrat. Get a clue will you!

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            Your rejection let’s me know I’m on the right path.
                            An inverse genetic fallacy. I don't think I've ever seen one of those...

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Oh my word, are you for real, MM? You yourself have been demonizing Nancy Pelosi for years, just like you did Obama, Clinton and every other powerful democrat. Get a clue will you!
                              Somehow...I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon...

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                                No, I did not demonize them.

Comment