Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Church nonessential?

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Rogue, simplicio has not said anything on this site that would indicate he is not a believer or does not follow Christ. And I have not seen him treat believers as a whole as 'the other'. You are conflating a particular secular political and ideological platform and faith in Christ. The two are not one, and in many elements diametrically opposed.
    For some it has become one. Their entire worldview, their ideas about right and wrong, have been so affected by the unholy alliance that they rely on relativism to at least pretend it is not that bad.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    We'll see. According to my local news this morning, we're still two weeks from peak in my area. I'll bet by then Cuomo won't be doing daily news conferences and the media will be saying all is well in New York because all is well in the City and that is all that matters.

I see you
    I hope, for your sake, that you are wrong. Such an outcome would be a travesty and I would be seriously disappointed in Cuomo.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Attachment 44027

Don't make me laugh.
    Back when we were doing the Flame Warrior avatar thing, I was the Evil Clown.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Back when we were doing the Flame Warrior avatar thing, I was the Evil Clown.
    00000000000000ars3.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Might want to check again, or are you just trolling?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    You are assuming that he's still RC and not abandoned his faith. Given the nature of his posts the that he has aposticized is far more likely.
    By the numbers (from 2012), I'd say the RCs are in a much better position to say y'all are the ones who aren't Christian.

Christians

Christians number 2.2 billion, or about one-in-three (32%) people worldwide. About half of all Christians are Catholic (50%). An estimated 37% of Christians belong to the Protestant tradition, broadly defined to include Anglicans as well as independent and nondenominational churches. The Orthodox Communion, including the Greek and Russian Orthodox, make up 12% of Christians. And people who belong to other traditions that view themselves as Christian (including Christian Scientists, Mormons and Jehovahís Witnesses) make up about 1% of the global Christian population.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    By the numbers (from 2012), I'd say the RCs are in a much better position to say y'all are the ones who aren't Christian.

Christians

Christians number 2.2 billion, or about one-in-three (32%) people worldwide. About half of all Christians are Catholic (50%). An estimated 37% of Christians belong to the Protestant tradition, broadly defined to include Anglicans as well as independent and nondenominational churches. The Orthodox Communion, including the Greek and Russian Orthodox, make up 12% of Christians. And people who belong to other traditions that view themselves as Christian (including Christian Scientists, Mormons and Jehovahís Witnesses) make up about 1% of the global Christian population.
    Some Christians are Catholics, but not all Catholics are Christians.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Some Christians are Catholics, but not all Catholics are Christians.
    Which could be said of any Christian sect...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

8. Amen oxmixmudd, Charles amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Christians

My comment had more to do with the technical distinctions of material vs formal heresies, and the differences between heresy and those who embrace heresy. Since heresy is such a loaded term, few who use the term are willing to discuss what is meant, which is why I asked if you were trolling, posting an inflammatory and digressive message for the purposes pf provoking a reaction and being divisive.

/fencing?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    We'll see. According to my local news this morning, we're still two weeks from peak in my area. I'll bet by then Cuomo won't be doing daily news conferences and the media will be saying all is well in New York because all is well in the City and that is all that matters.

I see you
    Do you really believe that Cuomo would abandon his responsibilities to the millions of NY citizens who are not downstate? If he does, then he will preside over a disaster.

No locality has resources to battle an emergency on its own resources. There is not enough medical supplies available to combat this if each locality maintains its own stockpile. But if the resources are directed to the areas most in need, then there will be (almost) enough. Which is why hoarding is problematic. Inventories are a drain, business learned that decades ago, which is why all businesses minimize inventory.

The fact is that upstate is being resupplied, if not fast enough. The cupboards were bare, and still are, upstate. That is in spite of record usage of PPE.