Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Church nonessential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That celebrities are just that. They are entertainers and not "heros" to be idolized as we have done for so many years now.
    So, you have just stoped idolizing them now? It is rather late to arrive at that understanding.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
      *Looks at post*

*Looks at a million teachers teaching online, now, including myself*

*Looks at post*

Umm ... umm ...
      Give it up strawberry. You are non-essential. Just because you CAN still teach via internet, doesn't mean you HAVE to. School is a non-essential service right now. Grocery stores HAVE to stay open and employees must work in person.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Give it up strawberry. You are non-essential. Just because you CAN still teach via internet, doesn't mean you HAVE to. School is a non-essential service right now. Grocery stores HAVE to stay open and employees must work in person.
        There are different levels of essential. In the long run, our society can survive with us all making meals at home. So being able to go out to eat is not essential in the ultimate sense, that is a luxury of sorts. But our society will not survive in the long term without teachers. Having teachers is not a luxury, it is an absolute necessity. BUT it is not an immediate necessity. Some things we need immediately, like air. 5 minutes without air, we are dead. Air is essential. But we can go days without food. but we can't say that because we don't need Food every few seconds that Food is NOT essential. No, Food is essential too, but not quite like air. And so on. Teachers are not immediately essential, in that we can go a few weeks or a few months without them. But we can't survive very long without them. We must train the next generation or our society collapses.

Teachers that are university professors like Juvenal and Roy (IIRC) are also often researchers - which is another critical level of essential - sometimes short term - like developing a vaccine or other treatments for COVID-19.

Teachers are essential, and fortunately they can carry out their essential duties remotely, which means we do not need to force the issue of how long we can survive without them. But we can't survive very long without them. A few years, a decade maybe? Without teachers we die.
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-06-2020, 12:42 PM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          There are different levels of essential. In the long run, our society can survive with us all making meals at home. So being able to go out to eat is not essential in the ultimate sense, that is a luxury of sorts. But our society will not survive in the long term without teachers. Having teachers is not a luxury, it is an absolute necessity. BUT it is not an immediate necessity. Some things we need immediately, like air. 5 minutes without air, we are dead. Air is essential. But we can go days without food. but we can't say that because we don't need Food every few seconds that Food is NOT essential. No, Food is essential too, but not quite like air. And so on. Teachers are not immediately essential, in that we can go a few weeks or a few months without them. But we can't survive very long without them. We must train the next generation or our society collapses.

Teachers that are university professors like Juvenal and Roy (IIRC) are also often researchers - which is another critical level of essential - sometimes short term - like developing a vaccine or other treatments for COVID-19.

Teachers are essential, and fortunately they can carry out their essential duties remotely, which means we do not need to force the issue of how long we can survive without them. But we can't survive very long without them. A few years, a decade maybe? Without teachers we die.
          Thanks Captain Obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
            "We are in this together"? If only...

Cuomo spent today explaining how shifting of medical supplies and equipment could work (the reality will be difficult to navigate), using the logistics to supply areas in great need (most of the state have few covid-19 cases), then returning the material when need arises. It is Republican assemblymen opposing this.

Cuomo will need to use the bully pulpit to push his idea, an idea which makes sense in this time of need.
            As a New Yorker, I think people are seeing this as Upstate NY sacrificing for NYC. I watched some of today's briefing as well (until the spousal over unit couldn't take anymore) and one thing that struck me is how much Cuomo's talk focused on NYC. One slide he showed was all NYC scenes. Yes, that's the greatest need right now, yet there are over 300 cases in my county right now and I've heard concerns on the radio that the ventilators we need are going to go to the city instead. So is Cuomo focused on the state or the city? I don't get a sense from his briefings that he's concerned about any part of the state outside of the city.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
              As a New Yorker, I think people are seeing this as Upstate NY sacrificing for NYC. I watched some of today's briefing as well (until the spousal over unit couldn't take anymore) and one thing that struck me is how much Cuomo's talk focused on NYC. One slide he showed was all NYC scenes. Yes, that's the greatest need right now, yet there are over 300 cases in my county right now and I've heard concerns on the radio that the ventilators we need are going to go to the city instead. So is Cuomo focused on the state or the city? I don't get a sense from his briefings that he's concerned about any part of the state outside of the city.
              That is a definite possibility, that upstate will be sacrificed for the area with more votes. But I do think it unlikely, ventilators and other equipment would be returned when the epidemic scales up in those other areas. Most areas away from NYC are about ten days to two weeks behind. If Cuomo shafts Upstate, it would destroy the state, and destroy any unified and logical future pandemic response.

It is impossible to face a pandemic if each hospital or county acts as an insulated silo, material has to shift to where it is needed. Cuomo and the state health department is well aware of the stakes.

There is still slack capacity in all hospitals across the state, with the exception of the few hotspots which are well publicized.

One thing Cuomo has done is tone down his combativeness, he is not much different than Trump in that department. But he switched gears, handling and praising Trump, and Trump responded. I do not know if it gained more material aid for NY, but we probably got a better deal than Seattle or California.

Comment

Pirates are non-essential. Just because you CAN grog over the internet, doesn't mean you HAVE to.

Comment

Screenshot_20200406_160428.jpg
                  https://babylonbee.com/news/teachers...inate-children
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                    Pirates are non-essential. Just because you CAN grog over the internet, doesn't mean you HAVE to.
                    Yeah but I work in IT and IT is essential.

You can't teach without the internet and computers!

Comment

Nearly everyone I know that has skewl age children is having to home school. Some but not all get very brief lesson plans from the skewl but still have to do all the teaching themselves.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                        Remember that church was nonessential?
                        Never miss an opportunity to do you sporty? And strange that it is almost always also a shot at Christianity as well. Funny that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nearly everyone I know that has skewl age children is having to home school. Some but not all get very brief lesson plans from the skewl but still have to do all the teaching themselves.
                          Schools were the first things to shut down.

(and I hope Juvy knows I am just teasing him)

Comment

Yeah but I work in IT and IT is essential.
                            2020-04-06_16-15-36.jpg

Don't make me laugh.

Comment

Thanks Captain Obvious.
                              Well hey, at least I'm not a Pirate Captain Obvious!
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Never miss an opportunity to do you sporty? And strange that it is almost always also a shot at Christianity as well. Funny that.
                                Is simplicio a sock puppet of Charles? Their posting style is suspiciously similar.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment