Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Church nonessential?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Church nonessential?

Church is now apparently nonessential, like a bar or restaurant, but unlike the liquor store or cannabis store. Has the time passed by the idea church as an integral institution of western society?

Any thoughts?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From a sociological perspective, I think most of the West has reached the point where they could say that. There are a number of pockets of the US/Canada that would be exceptions but as a whole, I think that's probably fairly accurate.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    From a sociological perspective, I think most of the West has reached the point where they could say that. There are a number of pockets of the US/Canada that would be exceptions but as a whole, I think that's probably fairly accurate.
    Yes, from a sociological perspective, yes, I agree with your statement as worded.

But is church really nonessential?

My view is that church is a community for the wider community; the wider community would be ill-served without the Christian church. If religion is truly a private preference and not a public good then we Christians have been wrong for 2000 years.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Church is now apparently nonessential, like a bar or restaurant, but unlike the liquor store or cannabis store. Has the time passed by the idea church as an integral institution of western society?

Any thoughts?
    You have a strange tendency to ask the opposite question of the position you hold. I, like you, consider the Church to be indispensable.

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    For once, I think am in agreement with simplicio. The idea that "virtual" gathering is in any way comparable to the actual assembling of the body of Christ is absurd. It shows misunderstanding of almost everything the NT shows about how to "do church."
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    You have a strange tendency to ask the opposite question of the position you hold. I, like you, consider the Church to be indispensable.
    But was is the question "Is church nonessential" a leading question? In case you have not read the news, church is effectively treated as nonessential.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    For once, I think am in agreement with simplicio.
    I do hope that does not make you an infidel troll!

The idea that "virtual" gathering is in any way comparable to the actual assembling of the body of Christ is absurd. It shows misunderstanding of almost everything the NT shows about how to "do church."
    If the Body of Christ is some invisible collection of believers, why not just dispense with a physical church and rely on the spiritual connection?

An alternative view is the Body of Christ as an organic and living body with life flowing through it, which would imply the need for communion in some concrete and tangible way.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    For once, I think am in agreement with simplicio. The idea that "virtual" gathering is in any way comparable to the actual assembling of the body of Christ is absurd. It shows misunderstanding of almost everything the NT shows about how to "do church."

And yet, in the early first century (and even today in other countries where persecution is present), believers met secretly in small groups. I think the Lord goes not judge us for where we worship in times of distress but how we worship.

Church is absolutely essential, but we are also to obey the government when they do not directly go against God's directives to us. Church will return with normal gatherings eventually.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, what is your suggestion? Should Christians gather in large numbers at the risk of spreading the virus? And should other religious groups be allowed to do the same?
    Last edited by Charles; 03-29-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Would you consider church to be essential/indispensable for yourself, essential/indespensable for christianity, or essential/indispensable for society as a whole?