Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Facts and science or anointed handkerchiefs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facts and science or anointed handkerchiefs?

So, echoing the idea that taking the corona virus seriously is politicaly motivated (where did you hear that before?) a pastor held a service gathering over 1.000 people.

If anyone thought the anti science, the "politicaly motivated" or "fake news" statements were to be used without actual consequences they were wrong all along and the consequences are going to grow bigger and bigger.

"It's not a concern. The virus, we believe, is politically motivated. We hold our religious rights dear and we are going to assemble no matter what someone says," Spell told the outlet. "I had 1,170 in attendance Sunday. We have 27 buses on Sundays picking up people in a five-parish area." https://www.newsweek.com/pastor-hold...ng-ban-1493113
    So, it definitely sounds like an echo of what we have heard before. The people attending would be given "anointed handkerchiefs" believed to heal them.

Katherine Stewart shared her opinion on this and other topics in an interesting opinion piece called: The Religious Right’s Hostility to Science Is Crippling Our Coronavirus Response

Donald Trump rose to power with the determined assistance of a movement that denies science, bashes government and prioritized loyalty over professional expertise. In the current crisis, we are all reaping what that movement has sown.
    By all accounts, President Trump’s tendency to trust his gut over the experts on issues like vaccines and climate change does not come from any deep-seated religious conviction. But he is perfectly in tune with the religious nationalists who form the core of his base.
    And having read the responses and absurd attempts to justify Trump on tweb this part is really essential:

Religious nationalism has brought to American politics the conviction that our political differences are a battle between absolute evil and absolute good. When you’re engaged in a struggle between the “party of life” and the “party of death,” as some religious nationalists now frame our political divisions, you don’t need to worry about crafting careful policy based on expert opinion and analysis. Only a heroic leader, free from the scruples of political correctness, can save the righteous from the damned. Fealty to the cause is everything; fidelity to the facts means nothing. Perhaps this is why many Christian nationalist leaders greeted the news of the coronavirus as an insult to their chosen leader.
    And for those who like to deny that corona virus was ever denied as a serious threat this is a nice place to start:

“You know, impeachment didn’t work, and the Mueller report didn’t work, and Article 25 didn’t work, and so maybe now this is their next, ah, their next attempt to get Trump,”
    Guess who said that... Of course a prominent Evangelical.... Jerry Falwell Jr.

Other statements follow along the line. Here is Dr. Hotze: “This whole thing is concocted by the mainstream media, the fake news, to try to bring down Don Trump.” https://www.mediamatters.org/coronav...ted-deep-state

The consequences are unfortunately real and will have to be paid by real human beings. Reality (unfortunately in this case) will not listen to the lies, does not care about the lies. It is what it is with no regard to all the lies.

As Stewart notes:

Less well known is the contribution of the Christian nationalist movement in ensuring that our government is in the hands of people who appear to be incapable of running it well.
    Fortunately many Christians don't think along those lines but many white Evangelical "Christians" bear responsibility for promoting and supporting actions and ways of thinking that helped worsen this mess and make it even worse than it needed to be.
    Last edited by Charles; 03-29-2020, 07:27 AM.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Fortunately many Christians don't think along those lines but many white Evangelical "Christians" bear responsibility for promoting and supporting actions and ways of thinking that helped worsen this mess and make it even worse than it needed to be.
    Racist.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

So, echoing the idea that taking the corona virus seriously is politicaly motivated (where did you hear that before?) a pastor held a service gathering over 1.000 people.

If anyone thought the anti science, the "politicaly motivated" or "fake news" statements were to be used without actual consequences they were wrong all along and the consequences are going to grow bigger and bigger.

So, it definitely sounds like an echo of what we have heard before. The people attending would be given "anointed handkerchiefs" believed to heal them.

Katherine Stewart shared her opinion on this and other topics in an interesting opinion piece called: The Religious Right’s Hostility to Science Is Crippling Our Coronavirus Response

And having read the responses and absurd attempts to justify Trump on tweb this part is really essential:

And for those who like to deny that corona virus was ever denied as a serious threat this is a nice place to start:

Guess who said that... Of course a prominent Evangelical.... Jerry Falwell Jr.

Other statements follow along the line. Here is Dr. Hotze: “This whole thing is concocted by the mainstream media, the fake news, to try to bring down Don Trump.” https://www.mediamatters.org/coronav...ted-deep-state

The consequences are unfortunately real and will have to be paid by real human beings. Reality (unfortunately in this case) will not listen to the lies, does not care about the lies. It is what it is with no regard to all the lies.

As Stewart notes:

The founder of Tru News, Rick "Jew Coup" Wiles has come out with some pretty outrageous statements, the corona virus is the Lord's judgement on Jews for rejecting the Christ.

I read the articles (and similar articles) but I am not sure I agree. I doubt the CDC and NIH in the HHS are greatly influenced by that part of the religious sentiment. I think Alazar had a greater hand in it, along with the culture within this administration.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
        The founder of Tru News, Rick "Jew Coup" Wiles has come out with some pretty outrageous statements, the corona virus is the Lord's judgement on Jews for rejecting the Christ.

I read the articles (and similar articles) but I am not sure I agree. I doubt the CDC and NIH in the HHS are greatly influenced by that part of the religious sentiment. I think Alazar had a greater hand in it, along with the culture within this administration.
        Lots of idiots on the fringes and some not so much on the fringes like Thailand's health minister Anutin Charnvirakul claiming that whites (who he says are dirty and "never shower") are to blame for spreading the Chicom coronavirus.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Lots of idiots on the fringes and some not so much on the fringes like Thailand's health minister Anutin Charnvirakul claiming that whites (who he says are dirty and "never shower") are to blame for spreading the Chicom coronavirus.
          So Thailand has their own Trump types.

Comment

Or this one:

Appearing on the Victory Channel, which his church operates, Copeland claimed on March 12 to heal coronavirus-infected viewers who touched their TVs.

“Put your hand on that television set,” Copeland told his viewers. “Hallelujah. Thank you, Lord Jesus. He received your healing.”

A few days later, he said God had told him the pandemic would soon be over, as Christians praying all over the country had “overwhelmed it.” While Christians would save the country, he said, it was the president’s critics who “opened the door” to the pandemic with their “displays of hate” that had interfered with “divine protection.” https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...onavirus-cures
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Or this one:
              Praise the Lord they weren't in the bathtub when they placed their hand on the TV set.

Comment

Praise the Lord they weren't in the bathtub when they placed their hand on the TV set.
                As they say: "Remember to praise His name". You did remeber to do so even in this case.

Comment

So Thailand has their own Trump types.
                  From this I guess we can safely presume that you must think whites are dirty, never shower and are responsible from spreading the Chicom coronavirus.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If there is a problem it is caused by the media. The New York Times has a reputation for lying about Trump and about covering up the Democrat's improprieties and stupidity. The New York Times also does not speak well of Christians, unless for certain pastors who have fallen into questionable doctrines, who have sought publicity and unity in opposition to godliness. There are select experts that the media listens to. There has been no interest in balanced discussion. Overall there has been no discussions on the numbers. The same policies are being applied -- call any contrary facts as conspiracy theories and non-science advocates. But the opposition to media's big message actually consists of scientists too.

The thing to fear is when government and media align, especially when open discussion is being hindered. This is what dictators seek to do. Once open debate is cutoff and only one source of viewpoint is accepted, the freedoms of people is lost. And people fall for this hook, line and sinker -- this is the mob mentality. This has been catered to. Fear drives people to the government who has promoted the fear. This is a pattern done over and over again

This slam piece against Trump and Christians is another in a pattern by the media.

Don't be part of the fearmongerers. Don't be part of the oppression. Don't be a mindless part of the pack.

Even the highly intellectual fall into this. These are people do much thinking and also think highly of their mental capabilities. However, they blindly trust the media. All their views are aligned with sources such as the New York Times. Because people read it in the Times, they think they are smart and well-informed. Do you think you would have avoided supporting Hitler while the Times supported him? Or, are you capable of breaking away from the popular media? Many intellectuals who simply are not wise or insightful into situations like now.

Don't cutoff discussion. I'm glad that we continue to have discussions here -- even if they do get heated. We have people here who, at least, will like to work out ideas with each other.

Comment

Or this one:
                      Charles,

I would advise you to be a little more cautious in your examples you use to influence people here. Copeland is heritical in his views -- not even roughly holding to the Christian confessions which most of the Christians here recognize as fundamental to being a Christian. Many people here would consider themselves evangelical Christians -- this terms often just means we have belief in the God-inspired scriptures and we tend to hold to the truths of the confessions (even with those who are not confessional churches). The NYT and WaPo are likely trying to push the line further of their previous derogatory term 'fundamentalist Christian. Now these media groups want to include another term -- the evangelicals.

It is sensible enough if you personally don't feel that God, scriptures, and Christianity are convincing to you. But, it may be better to be humble enough to accept the possibility that the Christian message is true -- and to refrain from using examples of heretics to define your image of Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                        Charles,

I would advise you to be a little more cautious in your examples you use to influence people here. Copeland is heritical in his views -- not even roughly holding to the Christian confessions which most of the Christians here recognize as fundamental to being a Christian. Many people here would consider themselves evangelical Christians -- this terms often just means we have belief in the God-inspired scriptures and we tend to hold to the truths of the confessions (even with those who are not confessional churches). The NYT and WaPo are likely trying to push the line further of their previous derogatory term 'fundamentalist Christian. Now these media groups want to include another term -- the evangelicals.

It is sensible enough if you personally don't feel that God, scriptures, and Christianity are convincing to you. But, it may be better to be humble enough to accept the possibility that the Christian message is true -- and to refrain from using examples of heretics to define your image of Christianity.
                        I consider Cope a false teacher, and I have documented him prophesying falsely. I am not aware of the part I placed in boldface. AFAIK, what Rob Bowman said about Word-Faith in general about 20 years ago was true specifically of Copeland then, and remains true now: His theology is "a mess," but can't be classified as clearly heretical.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          Charles,

I never did identify it with true Christianity. And you should pay attention to the opn which I wrote (concerning other examples): "Fortunately many Christians don't think along those lines but many white Evangelical "Christians" bear responsibility for promoting and supporting actions and ways of thinking that helped worsen this mess and make it even worse than it needed to be."

I think quite many who call themselves Christians on this very forum are acting contrary to what they claim to believe. Some to the extent where I would say I refuse to regard them as Christians. That, however, does nothing to take away the fact that they say what they say, support what they support... Even when the consequences are obviously tragic.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            I consider Cope a false teacher, and I have documented him prophesying falsely. I am not aware of the part I placed in boldface. AFAIK, what Rob Bowman said about Word-Faith in general about 20 years ago was true specifically of Copeland then, and remains true now: His theology is "a mess," but can't be classified as clearly heretical.
                            Thanks for noting that Norrin. I think many of us would say that he distracts people enough from the gospel that he mostly neglects the gospel and attracts people who are attracted to hyper doctrines about faith. The concept of faith is distorted from the primary (and essential) emphasis of faith -- a trust toward God -- into a distorted concept of a powerful force inherent in people. (Even the faith to move mountains is not necessarily faith as a power in itself rather than the more central concept of trust toward God -- when a person is asking this action for a purpose in accord with God's will. )

Comment

I never did identify it with true Christianity. And you should pay attention to the opn which I wrote (concerning other examples): "Fortunately many Christians don't think along those lines but many white Evangelical "Christians" bear responsibility for promoting and supporting actions and ways of thinking that helped worsen this mess and make it even worse than it needed to be."

I think quite many who call themselves Christians on this very forum are acting contrary to what they claim to believe. Some to the extent where I would say I refuse to regard them as Christians. That, however, does nothing to take away the fact that they say what they say, support what they support... Even when the consequences are obviously tragic.
                              The editorial is equivalent to a Jew basher -- to racism. If the Times was unbiased in its general reporting and was not biased against Christians, there may be times when concerns can be raised about narrow groups of Christians. However, this current use of Evangelical Christian, has become the way of manipulating a portion of the public against a large portion of the American population. This promotion of division is subversive and should not be found worthy of our attention.

It also is amazing if a minority of Americans who are not strictly adhering to CDC recommendations are thereby destroying the protection of the whole country. If that were so, then the method of protecting the country is just proven to be contrary to common sense -- and not able itself to fix any problem. My church could meet at its location and no even have families close enough to spread skunk smell to each other, let alone viruses. (Sorry, there was a woman in the store the other day who just got sprayed by a skunk but had to get something at the store anyhow -- or something to counter the smell.)

Comment