Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

20 Jan 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I believe Trump did not follow the experts in the early weeks of the coronavirus pandemic.

He said a great deal more than that!

Source: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/23/trump-coronavirus-lockdown-skepticism-143800

President Donald Trump on Monday said he planned to pull the U.S. economy out of its coronavirus-induced slumber in a matter of weeks, and refused to commit to following the advice of his handpicked health experts — many of whom have warned that it will be a matter of months before it will be safe to reopen the country again — when reassessing guidelines for social isolation.

“Our country wasn’t built to be shut down. This is not a country that was built for this,” Trump insisted to reporters during a White House press briefing with his coronavirus task force on Monday evening, predicting that “America will again and soon be open for business. Very soon. A lot sooner than three or four months that somebody was suggesting.”

The president complained that he didn’t want to let the “cure” to the fast-spreading pandemic — social isolation that has prompted the shuttering of businesses across the country and cratered the economy — to be worse than the disease itself. He even claimed, without evidence, that the economic downturn caused by continuing the social distancing recommendation could result in more deaths “than anything we are talking about with respect to the virus.”

Trump very strongly hinted that he planned to ease federal guidance on social distancing at the end of his administration’s “15 Days to Slow the Spread” initiative, which ends next Monday, despite an expected explosion of reported cases as tests for coronavirus become more widely available.

Current guidance instructs Americans across the country to avoid gatherings of more than 10 people; work or attend school from home whenever possible; and abstain from eating or drinking at bars, restaurants and food courts. But in more than a dozen states with higher concentrations of cases, governors have issued mandatory shelter-in-place directives or ordered all non-essential businesses closed.

Health experts are in agreement that social isolation is imperative to blunting the spread of the disease, and on Monday, health officials cast the coming week as the most critical yet for the effort to “flatten the curve” of infected individuals and prevent resource-strapped health care systems from becoming overwhelmed.

© Copyright Original Source

Both are conflicting problems from the government and both wrong.

[/QUOTE]

I wonder which countries were built to be shut down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Exactly. What Trump says is not nearly as important as what he actually does.
      So, you are starting to realize that it is not enough to just make claims about having something under control without doing enough to actually control it?

It is going to cost many human lives that it took so long for so many - including Trump himself - to realize that this is something you cannot just talk your way out of.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        You didn't read the article, did you Sparko?
        Question: Do you think any amount of evidence, or any possible line of argument, could shake the unwavering loyalty of the Trump fans?

Any article which does not conform to the narrative of Trump's impeccability is a result of TDS, more evidence of MSM bias against Trump!

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          Question: Do you think any amount of evidence, or any possible line of argument, could shake the unwavering loyalty of the Trump fans?

Any article which does not conform to the narrative of Trump's impeccability is a result of TDS, more evidence of MSM bias against Trump!
          Of course the reverse applies for those here who hate Trump. Nothing he does or says can be good, and the worst possible interpretation is put on everything. Not sure which came first, the Trump is always right cheer squad, or those suffering from TDS. I think the later. As a neutral observer, the Trump supporters here are much more objective, I think the TDS sufferers project their own degree of prejudice (reversed) on those who disagree with them about Trump.

tl;dr

the whole discussion is worthless, because TDS sufferers can't be objective, and project their biasedness onto anyone who disagrees about Trump. Ergo they cannot be reasoned with since their attitude and beliefs about Trump aren't based on reason.
          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
            Not sure which came first, the Trump is always right cheer squad, or those suffering from TDS. I think the later.
            They are one and the same group, Max.

the whole discussion is worthless, because TDS sufferers can't be objective, and project their biasedness onto anyone who disagrees about Trump. Ergo they cannot be reasoned with since their attitude and beliefs about Trump aren't based on reason.
            Says the Trump, TDS cheerleader.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              They are one and the same group, Max.

Says the Trump, TDS cheerleader.
              You're proving my point. Thanks.
              ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

I believe Trump did not follow the experts in the early weeks of the coronavirus pandemic.

He said a great deal more than that!

Source: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/23/trump-coronavirus-lockdown-skepticism-143800

President Donald Trump on Monday said he planned to pull the U.S. economy out of its coronavirus-induced slumber in a matter of weeks, and refused to commit to following the advice of his handpicked health experts — many of whom have warned that it will be a matter of months before it will be safe to reopen the country again — when reassessing guidelines for social isolation.

The part I bolded is the writer's OPINION. I watched the press conference, and Trump said, several times, things like: he thinks opening by Easter would be great symbolism, and that he would look and see whether they could do it or not, and said he had to discuss it with his advisors, and see where they were on the 15 day isolation test to see if it was working or not.

Comment

Interesting article: Barack Obama takes veiled swipe at Donald Trump's handling of coronavirus pandemic

"We've seen all too terribly the consequences of those who denied warnings of a pandemic," Obama tweeted Tuesday, without directly naming the president.
                  And important background information:

The Trump administration has faced sharp criticism for its handling of the coronavirus outbreak, which has crippled the U.S. economy and claimed more than 3,100 lives as of Tuesday. The latest death toll eclipsed the number of Americans killed in the 9/11 terror attacks in New York City.

Trump initially sought to downplay the pandemic and suggested opening up the economy by Easter, or April 12, as recently as last week. The president has since said strict social distancing guidelines will remain in place through April 30.
                  Let's see if we can avoid whataboutism and personal attacks on Obama or me on this one.
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                    You're proving my point. Thanks.
                    Well, if your point was that the Trump cheering squad and those suffering from TDS are one and the same group, then yes, I proved your point, and you're welcome.
                    Last edited by JimL; 03-31-2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      The part I bolded is the writer's OPINION. I watched the press conference, and Trump said, several times, things like: he thinks opening by Easter would be great symbolism, and that he would look and see whether they could do it or not, and said he had to discuss it with his advisors, and see where they were on the 15 day isolation test to see if it was working or not.
                      Your neglecting the 15 day plan proposed by Trump to slow the spread, and now followed by a 45 day plan (there were no plans) to slow the spread. Even though the 45 day plan is closer to my previous prediction of the normal bell curve of the history of the virus. The problem is like in South Korea and Japan to put in quickly a proactive aggressive plan in the beginning the result is the virus follows the natural pattern when intervention is late like in China and the USA. The authorities are now close to my prediction of tapering off in May or possibly June.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52029546

What did President Trump say?
                      On Tuesday, he told Fox News he hoped the country could get back to normal by Easter, which is on the weekend of 12 April.

Mr Trump, a Republican, said: "We're going to be opening relatively soon... I would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter."

He added in a subsequent interview: "Easter is a very special day for me... and you'll have packed churches all over our country."

Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-31-2020, 07:06 PM.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Your neglecting the 15 day plan proposed by Trump to slow the spread, and now followed by a 45 day plan (there were no plans) to slow the spread. Even though the 45 day plan is closer to my previous prediction of the normal bell curve of the history of the virus. The problem is like in South Korea and Japan to put in quickly a proactive aggressive plan in the beginning the result is the virus follows the natural pattern when intervention is late like in China and the USA. The authorities are now close to my prediction of tapering off in May or possibly June.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52029546

What did President Trump say?
                        On Tuesday, he told Fox News he hoped the country could get back to normal by Easter, which is on the weekend of 12 April.

Mr Trump, a Republican, said: "We're going to be opening relatively soon... I would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter."

He added in a subsequent interview: "Easter is a very special day for me... and you'll have packed churches all over our country."

Your quote proves me right. He was just being hopeful and stating his wishes. But he also said he was going to talk to the experts. The 15 days were just a test to see how social isolation worked. It was an experiment. At the end, they evaluated the results and decided to extend the time frame. This was all the CDC's plan, not Trumps.

Comment

Your quote proves me right. He was just being hopeful and stating his wishes. But he also said he was going to talk to the experts. The 15 days were just a test to see how social isolation worked. It was an experiment. At the end, they evaluated the results and decided to extend the time frame. This was all the CDC's plan, not Trumps.
                          There was no statement by Trump that it is an experiment.
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

There was no statement by Trump that it is an experiment.
                            Fouci even said that they were doing the isolation for 15 days to see how it affects the numbers (flattening the curve) and they would revisit it at the end of the 15 days to determine whether it was working and what other steps they would take, including extending it. Trump said the same thing.

Comment

Fouci even said that they were doing the isolation for 15 days to see how it affects the numbers (flattening the curve) and they would revisit it at the end of the 15 days to determine whether it was working and what other steps they would take, including extending it. Trump said the same thing.
                              Citation from Fauci. This does not make sense based on Fauci's bogus prediction of possibly 100,000 to 240,000 fatalities. This does not make sense for an experiment of 15 days.

Frank

Comment

Citation from Fauci. This does not make sense based on Fauci's bogus prediction of possibly 100,000 to 240,000 fatalities. This does not make sense for an experiment of 15 days.
                                DR. FAUCI: He’ll be back in a sec. He’ll be back in a second. I think the question that I think maybe John asked about — until July: The guidelines are a 15-day trial guideline to be reconsidering. It isn’t that these guidelines are now going to be in effect until July.
                                https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ay_update.html

Comment