Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Even Now The Press Is Lying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
    I’m sure most people are sensible enough to take the necessary precautions but some aren’t and until this pandemic is under control it’s safer for everyone to stay home. It’s the rate that people are dying that worries me and while the flu has killed more people, if we were to wait until this virus came close to the flu numbers then it seems like it would have killed double the flu amount before anything can be done about it. That’s how quickly the deaths are growing.

South Korea has done a great job so far mainly due to the fact they did such a poor job during SARS. It’s the same people running the show who were publicly ridiculed and blamed by the previous South Korean president who did pretty much what Trump is doing. The current South Korean president put his full support and trust on the same experts and started action immediately after learning that this virus could be transmitted human to human and they were ready for it before it reached them. Most of their infections are the result of one church who refused to cooperate and give information on other church members and something like 90% of South Korea’s 9000 infected is from that one church.

My family has been home for the last week (feels like a month) and I’ve already made a new dining table from scrap wood! This week I’m going to try knitting my own clothes.
    It is not overall safer. The effect on the economy will be more devasting than we can imagine. We can have many more people going to work. We can have restaurants accommodating sit-in dining while having social distancing. We can have church gatherings where people social distance themselves --at least in some 80% or so of churches. The mega churches might have to just have the smaller gatherings but spread these out across more of the week. And I say this with the assumption of the scare numbers that the media promotes -- but we may just be in a severe-flu-type scenario. Right now we are just hearing the loudest voices, as selected by the mainstream news.

We have seen university students sent back to their hometowns which then has meant these students are introduced to multiple areas where they could spread or share the virus. The best option often would have been to leave most of the students (at least in low population universities) in place to finish the online/video version of their classes on campus.

Maybe we will get some good results out of the lockdown. Maybe families will start homeschooling their children so that we will have much smarter youth. But, this should not be by heavy-handed rule of govenors, especially those who already dislike Christians and Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      It is not overall safer. The effect on the economy will be more devasting than we can imagine. We can have many more people going to work. We can have restaurants accommodating sit-in dining while having social distancing. We can have church gatherings where people social distance themselves --at least in some 80% or so of churches. The mega churches might have to just have the smaller gatherings but spread these out across more of the week. And I say this with the assumption of the scare numbers that the media promotes -- but we may just be in a severe-flu-type scenario. Right now we are just hearing the loudest voices, as selected by the mainstream news.

We have seen university students sent back to their hometowns which then has meant these students are introduced to multiple areas where they could spread or share the virus. The best option often would have been to leave most of the students (at least in low population universities) in place to finish the online/video version of their classes on campus.

Maybe we will get some good results out of the lockdown. Maybe families will start homeschooling their children so that we will have much smarter youth. But, this should not be by heavy-handed rule of govenors, especially those who already dislike Christians and Christianity.
      Am I right in assuming that you were homeschooled, mike?

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
        If this is the reason why no disclaimer Starlight. Without the Disclaimer it is a lie. Do you have any thing to back up your view that this was the reason or are you doing what you normally do making things up.
        No, the story is not a lie, and the video of the hospital, though not the NY hospital in question, is a picture of what is going on in NY hospitals in general, with converted trucks parked in the back being used as makeshift morgues. They're not only running out of room for patients, they're running out of room for the dead.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Am I right in assuming that you were homeschooled, mike?
          You sure have not addressed the issue of lies by the media.

Comment

You sure have not addressed the issue of lies by the media.
            Yes, I have, and if it wasn't for the media which you've been taught to hate so much, you or someone you care about would have a much greater chance of dying due to your ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Yes, I have, and if it wasn't for the media which you've been taught to hate so much, you or someone you care about would have a much greater chance of dying due to your ignorance.
              I take it that you are an advocate for the sedition of CNN which seeks to oust a duly elected President. Are we to take your discussion your ramblings seriously yet or do you plan to contribute worthwhile insights, rather than insults? Just take a breath, relax.

Comment

I take it that you are an advocate for the sedition of CNN which seeks to oust a duly elected President. Are we to take your discussion your ramblings seriously yet or do you plan to contribute worthwhile insights, rather than insults? Just take a breath, relax.
                sedition? I wonder how you characterized the coverage of Fox News on Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                  A nutty right-wing site "fact-checking" a real story as false, doesn't actually make the story false. It just makes the fake "fact-checkers" liars.

Even the legitimate fact-checking sites seem to get a bit careless from time to time and tend to take the establishment's word for things. But there seems to have been a rise in fake fact-checkers who try to give everything a right-wing spin the way Conservapedia tried to do for Wikipedia.
                  As I made clear these fact checkers are "various organizations who have no love loss for Trump" not as you claim "a nutty right-wing site." In the example I mentioned, the claim that Trump called the Chicom coronavirus a hoax, they are Snopes and the Washington Post[1], which only to a loony tune who has repeatedly declared that the communist dictator Joseph Stalin was a right winger are anywhere near the conservative end of the spectrum.

And while I agree that the various self-appointed fact checkers do "get a bit careless from time to time" they usually bend over backwards to find a way to still give credence to an accusation against Trump even after they thoroughly debunked it -- typically by only rating it "partially false" even if there was no truth to it at all.

1. I think the AP also debunked this one as well but I could be thinking of one of the other falsehoods that the media still repeatedly reports as true.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Slick View Post
                    As I made clear these fact checkers are "various organizations who have no love loss for Trump" not as you claim "a nutty right-wing site." In the example I mentioned, the claim that Trump called the Chicom coronavirus a hoax, they are Snopes and the Washington Post[1], which only to a loony tune who has repeatedly declared that the communist dictator Joseph Stalin was a right winger are anywhere near the conservative end of the spectrum.

And while I agree that the various self-appointed fact checkers do "get a bit careless from time to time" they usually bend over backwards to find a way to still give credence to an accusation against Trump even after they thoroughly debunked it -- typically by only rating it "partially false" even if there was no truth to it at all.

1. I think the AP also debunked this one as well but I could be thinking of one of the other falsehoods that the media still repeatedly reports as true.
                    It seems that the hoax is the idea that Trump is doing a good job!

The fact is that the Dems were chided for being hoaxers in their critique of Trump's coronavirus response. So the issue centers on the efficacy of this administration's response to the epidemic.

ETA: The incongruity of Trump self adulation in the face of the increasing death toll is making an impression, except on the fawning sycophants. The story is that hospitals are facing crisis, and a journalist was very sloppy in selecting a background or eye candy for the story.
                    Last edited by simplicio; 03-31-2020, 03:17 AM.

Comment

These are merely some of the examples from just the previous week when I posted this. Since then they continue unabated

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Both my TV and internet are acting up so I'm experiencing long pauses every dozen seconds or so, so this wrt to Trump calling the coronavirus a hoax will have to do -- and this just covers the past week.

Just yesterday on MSNBC Live, the host, and NBC News Senior Business correspondent, Stephanie Ruhle was pushing the hoax myth (which has been debunked by such bastions of right wing thought as Snopes and the Washington Post among others) saying that "a few weeks ago the president was calling this a hoax" in reference to the Chicom coronavirus.

Likewise, a week ago Lawrence O’Donnell the host of that network's The Last Word continued to push this story "and now [the President] falsely claims he always knew it would be a pandemic even when he said it was a hoax."

A couple days ago AOC was on CNN with Jake Tapper he allowed her to repeated claim that Trump called the Chicom coronavirus a hoax, never once challenging her and quickly changing the subject when she finally paused.

He took heat for his and rationalized his failure in a tweet:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43754[/ATTACH]

Over on ABC's The View, which the New York Times called the "most important political talk show in America" and last week Whoopi Goldberg informed viewers that China never blamed the U.S. military for giving them the Chicom coronavirus) co-host Sunny Hostin has repeatedly pushed the discredited allegation that Trump said that the virus was a hoax including this week.

[*Preparing for carpe's trademark hand waving dismissal in 3... 2... 1...*]
                      As I said the efforts by the MSM to continue to spread this falsehood goes on. Here are a few more recent examples since I posted this just four days ago.

This past Sunday on CNN's ironically named Reliable Sources David Remnick, a reporter as well as editor for the New Yorker, repeated the long since discredited falsehood that Trump called the Chicom coronavirus a hoax among a slew of other over the top ridiculous statements. Needless to say the host of the show, Brian Stelter, not only allowed the accusation to go unchallenged but appeared to agree with him (although his response could have been to the entire rant -- which included the discredited "hoax" charge at the end of it).

Also this weekend on CNN Jake Tapper, who has previously admitted that Trump never called the Chicom coronavirus a hoax (see tweet in previous post I linked to) nevertheless promoted the lie that he did when he asked the governor of Nebraska Pete Ricketts "does your state think this is a hoax?"

Again on ABC's The View, which is a real hotbed for disinformation, the journalist Lisa Ling, a former co-host of the show who currently hosts a show on CNN, proclaimed that Trump had called the Chicom coronavirus a hoax[1].

She has also propagated the same nonsense on Instagram

And in the New York Times Paul Krugman declared Saturday:

"Let me summarize the Trump administration/right-wing media view on the coronavirus: It’s a hoax, or anyway no big deal."

1. She also bizarrely declared that Trump was the "only person" to have called it the "Chinese virus" apparently overlooking that the term was commonly used by the MSM up until the Chinese government ordered them to stop. I've posted a link to a video of literally dozens of examples of it being used by them several times and noted that even Asian news services called it the Chinese or Wuhan virus
                      Attached Files

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                        Apparently Matt Slick is living rent free in your head since you got booted from the website that he owns.

Learn to let it go and stop letting it fester as it obviously has.

Comment

Apparently Matt Slick is living rent free in your head since you got booted from the website that he owns.

Learn to let it go and stop letting it fester as it obviously has.
                          Just who are you modelling your apologetic approach on? It seems your objections when you posted there have dissolved, which raises the question of whether the objection was based on principle.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                            Just who are you modelling your apologetic approach on? It seems your objections when you posted there have dissolved, which raises the question of whether the objection was based on principle.

Does he haunt your dreams? Do you wake up at night in a cold sweat? Do you have a bunch of T-shirts with "I HATE MATT SLICK smiley fist shake.gif" emblazoned across the front?

Personally I'm no fan of his but to you he is obviously an obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                              If all parts of the reported story were accurate and if the conditions in the NY hospitals are roughly similar to those of Italian hospitals, and if it's not practical for safety reasons to film inside NY hospitals at the moment, then using the footage seems okay.
                              Then you don't run footage if you don't have any instead of faking it.

Comment

Does he haunt your dreams? Do you wake up at night in a cold sweat? Do you have a bunch of T-shirts with "I HATE MATT SLICK [ATTACH=CONFIG]43756[/ATTACH]" emblazoned across the front?

Personally I'm no fan of his but to you he is obviously an obsession.
                                What makes you think it an obsession? The altering of the quote box is a revered tradition on Tweb, one which is accepted as part of the routine. Since there does exist a similarity in style and approach, I do wonder about your statement about not being a fan.

Haha

Comment