Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Reuters: Five days of worship that set a virus time bomb in France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    And yet another mainly off topic response. Seems it is very, very hard for some of you to talk about the topic. If you want to talk about other topics start a new thread and leave this one.
    OBP has reasonably responded to the original post. The original post was a hit piece on Christians but the timing makes the event a nothing burger. There are other groups who would deserve more scrutiny.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      OBP has reasonably responded to the original post. The original post was a hit piece on Christians but the timing makes the event a nothing burger. There are other groups who would deserve more scrutiny.
      It is not a hit piece on Christians. It is a report on facts about what happened. You guys need to get past the idea that media is out to get you and is always unfair. The responses to the op are so very, very revealing. Certain facts are unwelcome. You are seemingly unable to interpret it is anything but a hit piece. Quite a biased reading.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

It is not a hit piece on Christians. It is a report on facts about what happened. You guys need to get past the idea that media is out to get you and is always unfair. The responses to the op are so very, very revealing. Certain facts are unwelcome. You are seemingly unable to interpret it is anything but a hit piece. Quite a biased reading.

ok. we can just say this article was a nothing burger and close the thread then. What else could be said about it?

Comment

ok. we can just say this article was a nothing burger and close the thread then. What else could be said about it?
          If 2500 cases is a nothing burger to you, you are free to spend your time in other threads. However, it rather seems few of you actually regard it as a nothing burger since there is such a huge wish to misrepresent it or talk about something else.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

And yet another mainly off topic response. Seems it is very, very hard for some of you to talk about the topic. If you want to talk about other topics start a new thread and leave this one.
            So not only do you want to restrict all responses to just the one smaller and earlier event and ignore all others but you also only want certain sort of reactions to it as well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              So not only do you want to restrict all responses to just the one smaller and earlier event and ignore all others but you also only want certain sort of reactions to it as well.
              That simply does not follow from what I wrote. But you managed to create more noise. Seems the story is really bothering some of you.

Comment

If 2500 cases is a nothing burger to you, you are free to spend your time in other threads. However, it rather seems few of you actually regard it as a nothing burger since there is such a huge wish to misrepresent it or talk about something else.
                You will have to explain how this meeting was improper at that point in time. And the number of cases is not the big issue. The number of deaths is general concern.

Do you simply want to say that the government did not prepare people for this virus situation?

Comment

That simply does not follow from what I wrote. But you managed to create more noise. Seems the story is really bothering some of you.
                  Actually we're just putting the story in context. For some reason you don't like that. The story is compared with other similar stories. That is fair game.

Hindsight 20-20 we can all tell that things would have been better off without that meeting, however at the time what they did wasn't unreasonable. It serves as a historical trace of the virus, but can't be used to condemn that crowd.

Comment

You will have to explain how this meeting was improper at that point in time. And the number of cases is not the big issue. The number of deaths is general concern.

Do you simply want to say that the government did not prepare people for this virus situation?
                    I have not once said it was improper so I wonder what I need to explain.

Comment

I agree it wasn't improper at all. I don't think there's anything to learn from this at all.

Comment

You keep trying to steer everyone into responding in a certain way -- to support your Christian bashing. When it gets pointed out that this event took place well before any guidelines or restrictions took place -- unlike the other much larger and later gatherings -- you are the one who gets bothered as evidenced by your responses.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We are back to this article and situation being a nothing burger since there was nothing to learn from the article.

Please explain why we are discussing this article or why this article has meaning to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            Actually we're just putting the story in context. For some reason you don't like that. The story is compared with other similar stories. That is fair game.
                            It would be if it was not for the fact that those who "put it in context" rather say: "focus on this", "focus on that" instead of focusing on the topic. Again everyone is free to start their own threads about other stories. The unfair assumption among many seems to be that the story is bashing. However, as I have pointed out, it is related to the discussion going on in other threads with regard to church essentials and other topics.

Hindsight 20-20 we can all tell that things would have been better off without that meeting, however at the time what they did wasn't unreasonable. It serves as a historical trace of the virus, but can't be used to condemn that crowd.
                            I have not condemned any of them and the idea that it is somehow bashing is absurd. One should take a simple look at the source. Reuters are not exactly known for being partial. I agree with your perspective that it serves as a historical trace. A historical trace that is relevant with regard to other dicussions on tweb about wheter religious societies should meet under these circumstances, when they should meet, religious freedom vs. public safety and the like.

So, though I don't completely agree with you, or perhaps rather think you misunderstood my intention to some extent, your post was helpful to put the right words on the perspectives of the thread. Thank you.

Comment

it serves as a historical trace. A historical trace that is relevant with regard to other dicussions on tweb about wheter religious societies should meet under these circumstances
                              This is where we part ways, and where I have to agree with Rogue06. How would you use this example at all? The response of a government to threat of a pandemic has to be measured and proportional. At this time, governments were still deciding whether to close things down or not. I'm not sure we can extract a lesson here about what religious communities should or should not be doing, since at the time they were acting in good faith and acting according to the law and what was permitted.

As everyone has pointed out, this congregation took place before the guidelines and restrictions. So it cannot really serve as anything of an example, except as a study of population dynamics.

It would also be an error to zero in on religious communities.

Comment

This is where we part ways, and where I have to agree with Rogue06. How would you use this example at all? The response of a government to threat of a pandemic has to be measured and proportional. At this time, governments were still deciding whether to close things down or not. I'm not sure we can extract a lesson here about what religious communities should or should not be doing, since at the time they were acting in good faith and acting according to the law and what was permitted.

As everyone has pointed out, this congregation took place before the guidelines and restrictions. So it cannot really serve as anything of an example, except as a study of population dynamics.

It would also be an error to zero in on religious communities.
                                And for someone supposedly interested in a "historical trace" he shows a profound disinterest in other similar events.

Comment