Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Reuters: Five days of worship that set a virus time bomb in France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    This is where we part ways, and where I have to agree with Rogue06. How would you use this example at all? The response of a government to threat of a pandemic has to be measured and proportional. At this time, governments were still deciding whether to close things down or not. I'm not sure we can extract a lesson here about what religious communities should or should not be doing, since at the time they were acting in good faith and acting according to the law and what was permitted.
    Once again I never questioned that they were acting in good faith. The consequences, however, are important to remember with regard to those who still hold mass church ceremonies, think isolation is hysteria, think churches (or religious communities) should be allowed to meet even under the current circumstances. So, there is no blaiming them for what they did. However there is a lesson to be learned for people who think they should meet in hundreds or thousands under the current conditions, those who believe such things cannot happen in religious communities and the like.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      It would be if it was not for the fact that those who "put it in context" rather say: "focus on this", "focus on that" instead of focusing on the topic. Again everyone is free to start their own threads about other stories. The unfair assumption among many seems to be that the story is bashing. However, as I have pointed out, it is related to the discussion going on in other threads with regard to church essentials and other topics.

I have not condemned any of them and the idea that it is somehow bashing is absurd. One should take a simple look at the source. Reuters are not exactly known for being partial. I agree with your perspective that it serves as a historical trace. A historical trace that is relevant with regard to other dicussions on tweb about wheter religious societies should meet under these circumstances, when they should meet, religious freedom vs. public safety and the like.

So, though I don't completely agree with you, or perhaps rather think you misunderstood my intention to some extent, your post was helpful to put the right words on the perspectives of the thread. Thank you.
      It would have helped if you agreed with the people posting about the other groups who met in large numbers. It only took 31 posts for you to say that people should be careful in the present time about meeting in great numbers for religious gatherings.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        It would have helped if you agreed with the people posting about the other groups who met in large numbers. It only took 31 posts for you to say that people should be careful in the present time about meeting in great numbers for religious gatherings.
        Wrong: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post723586

And the idea that it was bashing was made up by others. There is no bashing to be found in my posts.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          This is where we part ways, and where I have to agree with Rogue06. How would you use this example at all? The response of a government to threat of a pandemic has to be measured and proportional. At this time, governments were still deciding whether to close things down or not. I'm not sure we can extract a lesson here about what religious communities should or should not be doing, since at the time they were acting in good faith and acting according to the law and what was permitted.

As everyone has pointed out, this congregation took place before the guidelines and restrictions. So it cannot really serve as anything of an example, except as a study of population dynamics.

It would also be an error to zero in on religious communities.
          Here is an example of a person who would benefit from reading this thread: WALSH: Pastors Are Being Arrested For Holding Worship Services. This Is Not ‘Health And Safety.’ This Is Tyranny

Comment

By your own rules bringing up things not mentioned in the OP is verboten and is just noise

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Wrong: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post723586

And the idea that it was bashing was made up by others. There is no bashing to be found in my posts.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Enough noise and of topic posts from you. Leave the thread, please.

Comment

And yet another mainly off topic response. Seems it is very, very hard for some of you to talk about the topic. If you want to talk about other topics start a new thread and leave this one.
                  You can't impugn me, even obliquely, and simultaneously attempt to kick me out. 2500 cases is not small potatoes - but it's taken a month and a half for that relatively small gathering to spawn so many cases. It is not unreasonable to expect that much larger, later gatherings will eventuate in comparatively larger number of cases.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    You can't impugn me, even obliquely, and simultaneously attempt to kick me out. 2500 cases is not small potatoes - but it's taken a month and a half for that relatively small gathering to spawn so many cases. It is not unreasonable to expect that much larger, later gatherings will eventuate in comparatively larger number of cases.
                    It is certainly not unreasonable to expect that. I would like to repeat what I wrote to Leonhard: Once again I never questioned that they were acting in good faith. The consequences, however, are important to remember with regard to those who still hold mass church ceremonies, think isolation is hysteria, think churches (or religious communities) should be allowed to meet even under the current circumstances. So, there is no blaiming them for what they did. However there is a lesson to be learned for people who think they should meet in hundreds or thousands under the current conditions, those who believe such things cannot happen in religious communities and the like.

Comment

Pretty sure Charles has kicked everyone out of the thread at this point. Can we close it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Pretty sure Charles has kicked everyone out of the thread at this point. Can we close it?
                        Only MM and Rogue. With all due respect they are not everyone.

Comment

That's not the impression I got.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

You said, "For those who wish to discuss anything but the topic (including my person): Feel free to start your own thread. Leave this one. " - pretty sure that includes everyone in this thread so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              You said, "For those who wish to discuss anything but the topic (including my person): Feel free to start your own thread. Leave this one. " - pretty sure that includes everyone in this thread so far.
                              Well, what I was adressing was further posts along those lines. And it's great to see that we agree that very many posted stuff that was off topic.

Comment

Well, what I was adressing was further posts along those lines. And it's great to see that we agree that very many posted stuff that was off topic.
                                because nobody was biting on your troll.

Comment