Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Red state/blue state and corona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    It's pretty stunning that today he announces that he's just learned that.

Brian Kemp, Governor of Georgia, 2 April:

“Individuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didn’t know that until the last 24 hours.”

If it were the day before, I'd have said it must be an April fools joke to pretend that level of ignorance this late in the piece.
    If it were Trump, there would be an endless supply of interpretations for which he didn't mean it that way.

Dewine has served Ohio well, leading the way on school closures, but surprisingly the Gov of Puerto Rico, Vazquez (first time in my life I knew who the governor of Puerto Rico was) moved the fastest. Hogan may have hurt his state by his criticisms of Trump.

Reeves of Mississippi issued orders so confusing that even he did not understand them. Stitt of Oklahoma posted pictures of himself at a packed restaurant, but pulled it down after backlash.

I think the most memorable line was the headline "Governor urges action, takes none" in West Virginia.

Cuomo is looking better every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      It's pretty stunning that today he announces that he's just learned that.

Brian Kemp, Governor of Georgia, 2 April:

“Individuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didn’t know that until the last 24 hours.”

If it were the day before, I'd have said it must be an April fools joke to pretend that level of ignorance this late in the piece.
      Well, he is a Trumpster after all, so his ignorance shouldn't be all that surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
        Well, he is a Trumpster after all, so his ignorance shouldn't be all that surprising.
        Right... it's all Trump's fault.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

CNN analyzed how various states were handling the outbreak. To everyone's shock and dismay they blasted Republican governors while generally lauding the Democrats. The criticisms were almost all on the nitpick level. Then someone pointed out that in those states who's governors they attacked, they generally had lower fatality rates than in the one's they praised

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            CNN analyzed how various states were handling the outbreak. To everyone's shock and dismay they blasted Republican governors while generally lauding the Democrats. The criticisms were almost all on the nitpick level. Then someone pointed out that in those states who's governors they attacked, they generally had lower fatality rates than in the one's they praised

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43881[/ATTACH]
            Where will they be in two weeks, after the exponential growth rate of covid 19 becomes apparent?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
              Where will they be in two weeks, after the exponential growth rate of covid 19 becomes apparent?

Where will they be next Fall?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Where will they be next Fall?
                I think that Americans will hold the representative accountable, and many of those governors will be looking for new employment.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43881[/ATTACH]
                  And why do you think those republican red state governors, not to mention conservative fake newsers, are all changing their tunes now?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    It's pretty obvious they're grooming him to be the Democrat nominee.
                    Kinda late since most of the primaries have already taken place. Maybe next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Kinda late since most of the primaries have already taken place. Maybe next time.
                      2016 pretty much demonstrated that the party leadership hardly cares how the membership votes.

Anyway, with more and more primaries being delayed or maybe even cancelled it is highly likely that nobody will go into the convention with the prerequisite number of delegates allowing them to "draft" someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I predict that Biden will be out of the race one way or another, either voluntarily or forcibly, and then the Democrats will select Cuomo in a brokered convention.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          I predict that Biden will be out of the race one way or another, either voluntarily or forcibly, and then the Democrats will select Cuomo in a brokered convention.
                          Offensive New Yorker vs. incumbent offensive New Yorker? I'd be down with that.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Blame China, because they helped spread this virus....... But what about American elected officials?

"For crying out loud, go to grocery stores. If you want to go to Bob Evans and eat, go to Bob Evans and eat. "

"We can't stop living. We can't stop living at this point in time."-Gov Jim Justice

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...more_headlines

Comment

What is a reasonable rate of return for a company like 3M which produces masks? Trump had as part of his resume his business experience. Republicans largely play up his business acumen, Dems downplay his business acumen.

So what is a reasonable rate of return on a business venture? We have companies who have invested capital to manufacture ventilators and masks for health care workers. Should they charge market clearing rates, i.e. sell high because they can?

New York State is paying over 50,000 dollars for ventilators which sold for less than half that three months ago, while in a bidding war with other states AND the federal government.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                                What is a reasonable rate of return for a company like 3M which produces masks? Trump had as part of his resume his business experience. Republicans largely play up his business acumen, Dems downplay his business acumen.

So what is a reasonable rate of return on a business venture? We have companies who have invested capital to manufacture ventilators and masks for health care workers. Should they charge market clearing rates, i.e. sell high because they can?

New York State is paying over 50,000 dollars for ventilators which sold for less than half that three months ago, while in a bidding war with other states AND the federal government.
                                You can have something:

Fast, high quality, or cheap. Pick two.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment