Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump bump in the polls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump bump in the polls

Interesting analysis of the polls: The pandemic has led to a 'Trump bump' in the polls – but don't assume it will last

The rise in Donald Trump’s approval ratings – it would be misleading to call it a surge – appears to have shocked his opponents. Critics in the Democratic party and the media have noisily condemned and ridiculed his handling of the coronavirus outbreak, as have some scientists and economists.
    George W Bush saw his ratings go through the roof after the 9/11 attacks. His father, George HW Bush, hit 90%+ approval after the first Gulf war and held a parade to celebrate. By these measures, Trump should actually be doing much better in the polls. In fact, when asked whether the country is headed in the right direction under Trump, Americans say no by 55-38%.
    The fact that Trump’s announcements have often been contradictory, ill-thought-through or plain false, and the fact he has reversed himself with alarming regularity – the latest U-turn being Sunday’s decision to extend social distancing measures until the end of April – does not seem to put off many viewers. What they think they see is a man in charge.

Yet by casting himself as an all-powerful, all-seeing “wartime president” calling the shots in the biggest national health and economic emergency Americans have experienced, Trump is setting himself up for a fall.
    Trump’s gut instinct to dispute expert medical advice, without any evidence, plays into the anti-establishment, anti-science and Christian fundamentalist sentiments nurtured in Trump’s Republican base. So, too, do his xenophobic attempts to blame the virus on foreigners and foes, principally China’s communist leaders, immigrants and Europe.
    The “Trump bump”, like the so-called post-election “Boris bounce” in Britain, could soon be a bad joke – a grim memorial to incompetence at a time of existential need.
    While I mainly agree with what is said in the the quotes provided, I have a feeling the last one will not prove to be true. I think we are at a point where it is rather unlikely for very many people to change their minds with regard to Trump. As can be seen on tweb and elsewhere there is a certain resistency to facts and a great willingnes to find all sorts of explanations to blame everyone but the worlds most powerful man. I have a feeling he should have stopped by:

Trump’s gut instinct to dispute expert medical advice, without any evidence, plays into the anti-establishment, anti-science and Christian fundamentalist sentiments nurtured in Trump’s Republican base. So, too, do his xenophobic attempts to blame the virus on foreigners and foes, principally China’s communist leaders, immigrants and Europe.
    I don't believe we will get past the point where there is a very huge audience for ideas like that. At least I don't believe the majority of the followers will change their minds. Many of them appear to be very much locked up in a "safe" universe in which their leader cannot fail.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Trump got a bump, Cuomo has a surge as he becomes the voice of sense, competent leadership.

If only his war on covid 19 was as vigorous as his war on the media!

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      It is easier to fool people in a war in which you are fighting with words than it is to fight a virus that does what it does even if you claim you have got it under control and use all the words you like.

Initially Trump's war on covid 19 was of exactly the same form as his war on the media. He obviously lost and seems to be looking for and accepting other methods while still trying to fool the media and everyone else into thinking he did a great job.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        Interesting analysis of the polls. The pandemic has led to a 'Trump bump' in the polls – but don't assume it will last...

The only poll that matters is the one in November. It is hard to see how Biden could beat him, Biden is irrelevant right now, there will not be a Democrat convention, so no boost from that. And that irrelevancy will probably last through the summer. If things turn around in the fall (at least start to turn around) Trump will get the credit, if things are still bad people may not want to change leaders in the middle of the crisis. Never mind the fact that Biden has nothing new to bring to the table besides his senility.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          The only poll that matters is the one in November.
          Unless you don't like the outcome then you start screaming "NOT MY PRESIDENT!" and spend 3 years doing anything you can to overturn the election.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

[...] If things turn around in the fall (at least start to turn around) Trump will get the credit, if things are still bad people may not want to change leaders in the middle of the crisis. [...]
            Sorry for cutting but I happen to find this part particularily interesting. Not easy to fail when you are given such friendly conditions, I would say. Whether he makes it or not, he is "the best". Where did I hear that before?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
              Trump got a bump, Cuomo has a surge as he becomes the voice of sense, competent leadership.

If only the media was as impartial as COVID-19...
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Sorry for cutting but I happen to find this part particularily interesting. Not easy to fail when you are given such friendly conditions, I would say. Whether he makes it or not, he is "the best". Where did I hear that before?
                Friendly conditions?
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The only poll that matters is the one in November. It is hard to see how Biden could beat him, Biden is irrelevant right now, there will not be a Democrat convention, so no boost from that. And that irrelevancy will probably last through the summer. If things turn around in the fall (at least start to turn around) Trump will get the credit, if things are still bad people may not want to change leaders in the middle of the crisis. Never mind the fact that Biden has nothing new to bring to the table besides his senility.
                  Biden won't be the nominee. Either he'll voluntarily concede, or he'll be declared mentally unfit and forced out of the race. Safe bet right now is that Cuomo will be drafted by the Democrats as the "reluctant" nominee. That's why he's doing so much grandstanding right now.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    If only the media was as impartial as COVID-19...
                    It is, which is why you hate it so much. Persecution complex!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      It is, which is why you hate it so much. Persecution complex!

Definition of Impartial
                      not partial or biased : treating or affecting all equally

What was the media saying about Trump when he mentioned the malaria drug being promising? and then when Cuomo said the same thing what the media do? They attacked Trump for giving bad advise when he didn't, and then turned around and praised Cuomo for showing so called leadership(forgetting that early on he was one of those saying go ahead and live your life go out have fun) that was not showing impartiality that is showing the opposite.
                      Last edited by RumTumTugger; 04-01-2020, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

Definition of Impartial
                        not partial or biased : treating or affecting all equally

What was the media saying about Trump when he mentioned the malaria drug being promising? and then when Cuomo said the same thing what the media do? They attacked Trump for giving bad advise when he didn't, and then turned around and praised Cuomo for showing so called leadership(forgetting that early on he was one of those saying go ahead and live your life go out have fun) that was not showing impartiality that is showing the opposite.
                        So what, the media was reporting what health professionals, including Dr. Fauci, were saying about Trumps suggestion that we should be using the drug to treat the illness now. Cuomo is touting it's use in clinical trials in very ill patients as a last resort. There have only been 2 clinical trials thus far, one very small study in France which has been widely criticized, and one in China where the results showed no better results for those who took the drug than from those who didn't. The media reporting the criticism of Trumps messaging by health professionals, including Dr. Fauci's criticism, whether those professionals are right or wrong, is not being biased, it's called reporting.

Comment

Interesting analysis of the polls: The pandemic has led to a 'Trump bump' in the polls – but don't assume it will last

While I mainly agree with what is said in the the quotes provided, I have a feeling the last one will not prove to be true. I think we are at a point where it is rather unlikely for very many people to change their minds with regard to Trump. As can be seen on tweb and elsewhere there is a certain resistency to facts and a great willingnes to find all sorts of explanations to blame everyone but the worlds most powerful man. I have a feeling he should have stopped by:

I don't believe we will get past the point where there is a very huge audience for ideas like that. At least I don't believe the majority of the followers will change their minds. Many of them appear to be very much locked up in a "safe" universe in which their leader cannot fail.
                          Russia propaganda is more pervasive than we thought. Although they couldn't seem to help Bernie, their other asset. On the other hand, since Gabbard, who is also a Russian asset, has now thrown her support over to Biden, maybe Russia has switched candidates!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            It is...
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Expected response coming from a FOX (fake) News consumer.

Comment