Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Shoot the virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Coronavirus ‘Patient Zero’ May Have Started Pandemic In November or Earlier

Chinese government data suggest the coronavirus began spreading as early as November, but it still can't confirm 'Patient Zero.'

https://www.ccn.com/coronavirus-pati...er-or-earlier/
    Seer, the report is about them going back in hindsight to relook at unusual cases in November. It doesn't mean that in November they knew "how infectious this was". You're falling for the spin.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      Seer, the report is about them going back in hindsight to relook at unusual cases in November. It doesn't mean that in November they knew "how infectious this was". You're falling for the spin.
      Spin? It is conspiracy thinking, that the Chinese were able to learn significant information out of the first few cases.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Not very. There's a reason why the police are referred to as "the thin blue line".

Real life doesn't operate like a Hollywood script.
        But how do you know? What was it like the last time it happened?

Say the government disappeared overnight, don’t you think the citizens would at least try to establish some kind of order before killing each other? People are social creatures so I’d think it’s more likely they would group to form independent communities rather than going lone wolf. And those communities would soon be led by a younger person as older people succumb to the virus. Probably someone who had put in just enough effort to get by in life and didn’t care to be burdened with the responsibility of leadership so kept to himself and avoided opportunities for promotions but is also college educated which allowed him to enlist straight into an officer rank.

Comment

Especially when cities like NY are letting violent criminals out of prison.
          I find no evidence that they are. One source I found said
          Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-rikers-island.html

City officials would like to release several hundred people sent to Rikers Island for minor parole violations, near the end of their sentences or detained on low bail.

© Copyright Original Source

Another said
          Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/prisoners-new-york-city-jails-sound-alarm-coronavirus-spreads-i-n1172306

In New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio has ordered the release of 75 jail inmates nearing the end of their sentences for nonviolent offenses, and has said he wants to release about 300 more. But that’s a small fraction of the 4,636 inmates in the city’s jails, 3,000 of whom are waiting for trial and 1,300 of whom are being held for violations of parole or probation. The city’s Board of Correction, which monitors jail conditions, has implored authorities to release more than 2,000 inmates who are elderly, ill or accused of nonviolent offenses.

© Copyright Original Source

So NY has released nonviolent offenders nearing their sentence and, and wants to release parole violators, bailors, and more nonviolent offenders.

Do you have a source for your claim?
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

China knew how infectious this was in November? Where on earth did you glean that little factoid from?
            Coronavirus ‘Patient Zero’ May Have Started Pandemic In November or Earlier

Chinese government data suggest the coronavirus began spreading as early as November, but it still can't confirm 'Patient Zero.'

https://www.ccn.com/coronavirus-pati...er-or-earlier/
            That only shows that the virus has been traced to a patient on Nov 17th. It doesn't mean that the Chinese Government "knew how infectious this was in November".
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              That only shows that the virus has been traced to a patient on Nov 17th. It doesn't mean that the Chinese Government "knew how infectious this was in November".
              Ha! The communist Chinese are geniuses, able to figure out everything about this virus in no time flat, while the American scientists are dumbfounded, unable to learn much. Then in the next breath, the same posters insist how less advanced the Chinese are, how less capable they are in handling things, how the communist system doesn't work.

I am not sure how well accepted the Nov 17 date is, I thought the December date was more commonly accepted among the epidemiologists.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                But how do you know? What was it like the last time it happened?
                There was widespread looting after Hurricane Katrina hit, 15 years ago; that's just one example out of many.
                Say the government disappeared overnight, don’t you think the citizens would at least try to establish some kind of order before killing each other? People are social creatures so I’d think it’s more likely they would group to form independent communities rather than going lone wolf. And those communities would soon be led by a younger person as older people succumb to the virus. Probably someone who had put in just enough effort to get by in life and didn’t care to be burdened with the responsibility of leadership so kept to himself and avoided opportunities for promotions but is also college educated which allowed him to enlist straight into an officer rank.
                I can't tell if you're trolling here or merely utterly clueless. Murders in Baltimore skyrocketed after the police merely drew back some. And officers aren't enlisted.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

There was widespread looting after Hurricane Katrina hit, 15 years ago; that's just one example out of many.

I can't tell if you're trolling here or merely utterly clueless. Murders in Baltimore skyrocketed after the police merely drew back some. And officers aren't enlisted.
                  Brought up Katrina, the Los Angeles riots after the Rodney King verdict as well as the various court rulings that the police are not required to protect you (although most willingly risk their lives doing so).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Thank you, now I know officers aren’t enlisted.

How do skyrocketing murders in Baltimore show that people wouldn’t be grouping up to form small communities? Led by a young officer?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                      Okay. The mid November date is problematic, because the extra two weeks would imply that the numbers were greater than reported. .
                      No! Really?

Everyone has been saying China lied about their numbers for weeks and you just now figured it out?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                        Ha! The communist Chinese are geniuses, able to figure out everything about this virus in no time flat, while the American scientists are dumbfounded, unable to learn much. Then in the next breath, the same posters insist how less advanced the Chinese are, how less capable they are in handling things, how the communist system doesn't work.

I am not sure how well accepted the Nov 17 date is, I thought the December date was more commonly accepted among the epidemiologists.
                        How long did it take us to figure out how infectious it is? a week? Now think how long it was going around in China while they were claiming it wasn't infectious at all.

Comment

Thank you, now I know officers aren’t enlisted.

How do skyrocketing murders in Baltimore show that people wouldn’t be grouping up to form small communities? Led by a young officer?
                          Because, instead of small communities banding together to protect each other when the police quit actively patrolling, crime went way up.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            How long did it take us to figure out how infectious it is? a week?
                            According to the Wikipedia timeline, 24 days.
                            Now think how long it was going around in China while they were claiming it wasn't infectious at all.
                            6 days before the Chinese whistle-blower and Taiwan authorities suspected, 4 more before Hong Kong authorities suspected, 16 more before it was officially confirmed by China. 26 in total, but it really depends on what you take as the boundary points. It was widely suspected as transmissible between humans well before the official announcement.

In China, it was known, or strongly suspected, to be infections on Dec 30th. It was officially announced to be infectious on 20th Jan, but there were suspicions and warnings much earlier.

Comment

Because, instead of small communities banding together to protect each other when the police quit actively patrolling, crime went way up.
                              Probably committed by the bad communities. There’s always bound to be a few of them.

Comment

Probably committed by the bad communities. There’s always bound to be a few of them.
                                This is not going to end well.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment