Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Shoot the virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoot the virus?

In most parts of the world, people are dealing with the covid-19 situation by buying long-life food, antibacterial cleaning products and face-masks. Essential businesses are food stores, garages and pharmacies. In American, people are buying guns. Essential businesses include gun-shops.

Covid-19 can't be shot, so what are the guns for? Shooting anyone who comes too close? Shooting any-one who tries to raid their hoard of toilet rolls? Shooting any newly-released jailbirds? Shooting any government official who tries to enforce restrictions on congregating? Or survival in the inevitable Mad Max post-virus societal meltdown?

It seems the solution to any problem is to Buy More Guns.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    In most parts of the world, people are dealing with the covid-19 situation by buying long-life food, antibacterial cleaning products and face-masks. Essential businesses are food stores, garages and pharmacies. In American, people are buying guns. Essential businesses include gun-shops.

Covid-19 can't be shot, so what are the guns for? Shooting anyone who comes too close? Shooting any-one who tries to raid their hoard of toilet rolls? Shooting any newly-released jailbirds? Shooting any government official who tries to enforce restrictions on congregating? Or survival in the inevitable Mad Max post-virus societal meltdown?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!! SEE! The godless liberal are coming for the guns, using this crisis to hammer away at my god-given second amendment rights. Just like my pastor told me. Praise the Lord we have Trump (blessed-be-His-name) at the helm for the salvation of this nation, and praise the Lord we have Fox News, and praise the Lord we have Alex Jones and the internet so that we are not dependent on godless MSM.

When society breaks down, we will be prepared to handle the atheists, the liberals, the progressives. And the military.

Comment

Or survival in the inevitable Mad Max post-virus societal meltdown?
      Bingo...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It would be far more accurate to say that Americans are "buying long-life food, antibacterial cleaning products and face-masks" as well as guns.

Who knows if people in other countries wouldn't be doing the same if their governments didn't prohibit them from doing so.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          It would be far more accurate to say that Americans are "buying long-life food, antibacterial cleaning products and face-masks" as well as guns.

Who knows if people in other countries wouldn't be doing the same if their governments didn't prohibit them from doing so.
          Is buying guns a reasoned response to an epidemic?

Comment

A lot of the buyers appear to be first-time owners, so "more guns" is a bit misleading. If law and order break down, people want means of self-defense. This is not rocket science.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
              Is buying guns a reasoned response to an epidemic?
              The concern is that if it gets bad enough that a police response could very well be delayed or not coming. FWIU, police in NYC have been inordinately hit by the pandemic.

Then there are other events in recent years that support this.

During the L.A. riots after the Rodney King verdict police responses were extremely limited and those who didn't have a firearm to help protect themselves and their loved ones found out that they couldn't get them. The local government forbade their sale and wouldn't even allow people who had already purchased them earlier from picking them up after waiting for the end of the waiting period. They were pretty much at the mercy of looters and worse.

Korean merchants who had stores in urban areas were especially targeted by vandals and looters, famously defended their lives and property by standing on top of their buildings armed with "evil" high-capacity semi-automatic rifles which tended to discourage attacks. If they didn't have them only God knows what would have happened to them.

Then during Katrina the government actually confiscated firearms from the public (and folks wonder why there is opposition to registering guns) and the disarmed public witnessed a mass exodus from the city by the police who were supposed to defend them. That brought into stark focus various court decisions that decided that neither the city nor the police could be held liable for failure of police to respond to a request from victims for protection from attackers.

Now, don't get many wrong here. The overwhelming majority of police will run toward danger in order to protect people, willfully laying their life on the line, but as Katrina showed there are exceptions.

So, is it "proper" to arm yourself when facing a disaster? I would definitely say it is not improper.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                A lot of the buyers appear to be first-time owners, so "more guns" is a bit misleading. If law and order break down, people want means of self-defense. This is not rocket science.
                A lot of these new buyers are Asians afraid of being scapegoated for the pandemic.

Preparing for screams of that's Trump's fault which is asinine but won't stop those consumed with hatred

Comment

Another thing to consider is that if things were to go extremely bad guns can be used for hunting as well. Can't stock grocery stores if everyone is sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    Another thing to consider is that if things were to go extremely bad guns can be used for hunting as well. Can't stock grocery stores if everyone is sick.
                    In some particularly poor areas of Appalachia, this has already begun to take place: https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...amilies-2020-3
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      True. And my area is overrun with deer.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

This is preparation for an apocalypse. If our food were to become scarce because farmers can't farm or the distribution system breaks down, then there could come a time when the average joe needs a means to keep some other average joe from trying steal whatever he has locked away. This would be a complete breakdown of our society.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          A lot of these new buyers are Asians afraid of being scapegoated for the pandemic.

Preparing for screams of that's Trump's fault which is asinine but won't stop those consumed with hatred
                          consumed with hatred I guess that might be how it looks to those consumed by ignorance ...

Perhaps there is a better way than tit-for-tat demonization of those we disagree with?
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

There is a recession that could become a depression. Violent crime will increase. Buying guns to defend yourself is just one sensible precaution.
                            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

True. And my area is overrun with deer.
                              Deer and turkey where I live.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment