Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Shoot the virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    yet feel the need to buy up guns.

Trusting the Lord is hollow if it needs backup.
    God did make us stupid - it is not either or... Perhaps if you pray hard enough simplicio ravens will bring fly bread to your door. No need to shop...
    Last edited by seer; 04-02-2020, 03:25 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      God did make us stupid - it is not either or... Perhaps if you pray hard enough simplicio ravens will bring fly bread to your door. No need to shop...
      Read Holy Writ. The Lord did not make us stupid.

You truncated my post. If this is so bad that it needs people to buy guns 'n ammo, then where was this administration?

Comment

Cleaning and oiling my firearms as we speak...
        gun 3-gattling.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Roy is an atheist, so I think it likely that he does not place trust in the Lord, seeing that as an absurdity. Christians are more likely to place trust in the Lord (its a common phrase for inspirational songs), yet feel the need to buy up guns.

If this is so bad as to necessitate arming ourselves, why was this administration so blind as to the dangers? Now it seems that corona virus is leading to societal breakdown.

Trusting the Lord is hollow if it needs backup.
          Do you wear a seatbelt when you're in a car? Keep a fire extinguisher in your home? Go to the doctor when you're sick? Wear gloves when handing a potentially dangerous substance?

Or are those "acceptable" backups, and it's only guns you have a problem with?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Do you wear a seatbelt when you're in a car? Keep a fire extinguisher in your home? Go to the doctor when you're sick? Wear gloves when handing a potentially dangerous substance?

Or are those "acceptable" backups, and it's only guns you have a problem with?
            Good point, MM. But it also points out that the administration was totally incompetent in handling this epidemic. It is bad enough that we need to arm ourselves, but Trump and his supporters are downplaying how serious it is.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ulture/609019/

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]43872[/ATTACH]
              You just had to top me - didn't you!
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Read Holy Writ. The Lord did not make us stupid.

You truncated my post. If this is so bad that it needs people to buy guns 'n ammo, then where was this administration?
                Where is the administration in the UK, Spain, Italy etc... this pretty much caught everyone off guard.

Comment

You just had to top me - didn't you!
                  I have three of those beauties which I'm having attached to a large vertical rotating wheel set to spin at... well, really fast.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A lot of American men fantasise about being the Lone Ranger, who had two six shooters. That’s the whole deal.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                      A lot of American men fantasise about being the Lone Ranger, who had two six shooters. That’s the whole deal.
                      And a lot of liberal men fantasize about being American men.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Where is the administration in the UK, Spain, Italy etc... this pretty much caught everyone off guard.
                        China was caught off guard.

Caught everyone off guard? Singapore and Taiwan modeled their approach on the information the got from China as well as lessons learned from the various epidemics we had during this century. Our HHS showed itself to be unfit for its task.

The Navy saw fit to fire Captain Crozier, who did not want the TR to become the Diamond Princess, but the head of the FDA or HHS are kept on.

Comment

Not everyone apparently. Event201 Coronavirus Pandemic Simulation. Was a coronavirus pandemic simulation started in the fall of last year, right up to like a month before the real thing. The scenario started from a bat, jumped to a pig, then to a human and killed millions. You can read the pdf doc here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Police departments are saying they are not responding to non-emergencies, including burglaries. So, it's up to you to protect yourself and your family.
                            That article doesn't mention burglaries, Sparko.

It does mention "credit card fraud, theft, harassing phone calls, vandalism or vehicle tampering." What exactly are you going to do with your gun if your car has been vandalised or some-one telephones you? Shoot your car? Shoot your phone?

Apparently the surge of buying guns is because American society is (believed to be) so unstable that it descends into Mad Max World at the slightest provocation. Yet some of these same people think America is the best country in the world. Not unexpected, but thanks to everyone who confirmed it.
                            Last edited by Roy; 04-03-2020, 05:28 AM.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Originally posted by Ignorant Roy
                              Covid-19 can't be shot, so what are the guns for?
                              You're right, people are obviously buying guns because they think the China flu can be put down with bullets.

No more posts from you in this thread.
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                That article doesn't mention burglaries, Sparko.

It does mention "credit card fraud, theft, harassing phone calls, vandalism or vehicle tampering." What exactly are you going to do with your gun if your car has been vandalised or some-one telephones you? Shoot your car? Shoot your phone?

Apparently the surge of buying guns is because American society is (believed to be) so unstable that it descends into Mad Max World at the slightest provocation. Yet some of these same people think America is the best country in the world. Not unexpected, but thanks to everyone who confirmed it.
                                Thinking this is best country in the world vs. a Mad Max scenario is a false dichotomy. A sensible mind might believe, even though we may not reach an all out WROL type situation, crime will spike due to the dire economic situation that anyone with a level mind can see is coming.

It will be interesting to see the stats (if they aren't already out there) and just how many first time buyers there are in the numbers.

Comment