Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

COVID Cases Should Be Coming To An End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    If your friends are younger than 60, they would not likely have significant effects of the virus -- unless you know your friends have other medical conditions. The social distancing of all other people would keep the spread down anyhow.

Even the stores seem to practice social distancing. There are only minimal ways of transmission there. Not everything that is touched is going to be contaminated with this virus.
    I've been watching our city website page where the daily stats are posted. It's spreading here. My friends are close to 60 and both have medical conditions, which is why I said they are at high risk. Recently a grocery store employee here tested positive. You never know where you'll pick it up, so if someone is at risk of complications it's not smart to keep traipsing about town. And it's the people who don't realise how serious it is that keep passing it on to others.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
      I've been watching our city website page where the daily stats are posted. It's spreading here. My friends are close to 60 and both have medical conditions, which is why I said they are at high risk. Recently a grocery store employee here tested positive. You never know where you'll pick it up, so if someone is at risk of complications it's not smart to keep traipsing about town. And it's the people who don't realise how serious it is that keep passing it on to others.
      If your friends recognize the potential risk to themselves, then they should be free to take that upon themselves. They also may be relying on information that the risk of death may be 1 to 2 percent for those who have coronavirus at that age. There always is a trade off between living as one of the dead or as living life while one is alive.

The editorial by Fauci has noted:
      (link: https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056...icleTools=true )
      if one as-sumes that the number of asymptomatic or mini-mally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatal-ity rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal inf luenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic inf luenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.2
      The virus is not panning out to be the extreme pandemic that was prophesied.

Comment