Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

40% of 2016 Trump Supporters Dissatisifed with Trump's Early Coronavirus Response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    The New England Journal piece shows the difficulty on obtaining and deriving hard scientific knowledge about the new virus. The spread of the disease grew exponentially, so did the scientific knowledge of the disease.
    And yet Trump is evil for likening it to influenza early on when you had doctors publishing papers in a prestigious medical journal at the very end of February who were still doing just that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      And yet Trump is evil for likening it to influenza early on when you had doctors publishing papers in a prestigious medical journal at the very end of February who were still doing just that.
      SARS was like flu. Avian flu was like the flu. Swine flu was like the flu. And Covid-19 is like the flu.

But the Journal piece was written days before publication, and knowledge about the virus moved at a fast clip. It was outdated by the end of next day, 29 Feb!

At the end of December, it was clusters of a mysterious pneumonia, 4 weeks later the Chinese New Year celebrations were cancelled, and it was reported in the news, the Hubei province was quarantined and many in the US were surprised at the heavy hand of the government at the draconian measures.

China underreported its case load, the US has abandoned even reasoned estimate of the number of cases, and are under reporting cases just as China did. But just a few days before the Journal piece was published, cases outside Mainland China exceeded the cases within China.

On 28 Feb, the piece by Fauci (an interview with him) recommended mitigation strategies, a strategy rejected by the administration.

The paper was on 425 cases in Hubei, Early Transmission Dynamics in Wuhan, of Novel Coronavirus Pneumonia.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio
        and we had information from our intelligence agencies, from other countries, from the social media content leaked out of China by those on the front lines.

Are you saying that Trump and his administration chose to ignore all the other hard data and rely on the Chinese government official statements?
        The intelligence agencies warned the administration in January that there might be something to this, but by all accounts the warnings weren't specific. However, it was around this same time that Trump started closing our borders.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Kind of interesting to see what many of those who are screaming that Trump didn't take the Chicom coronavirus seriously enough early on were themselves saying about it earlier this year.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43980[/ATTACH]

It is also interesting to note that as late as February 28th the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine published a paper saying that the virus seemed to be much less severe than other recent outbreaks of respiratory illnesses and would likely be no worse than a severe flu season:

Source: Clinical Characteristics of Coronavirus Disease 2019 in China

The overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

And yet liberals, even those on this forum, are clucking their tongues and saying, "We knew this was bad from the beginning, so why didn't Trump do more to stop it?"
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 04-05-2020, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/us-coronavirus-test/

"The U.S. did not turn down an offer to use those tests (as no such offer was extended), nor was it unusual for the United States to design and produce its own diagnostic tests in lieu of those made elsewhere."
            Obviously you failed to read the entire article. Yes, they did refuse the test kits offered by the W.H.O. and as Dr. Fauci said, it would have been nice to have those tests as a back-up, but that there is no point in playing Monday morning quarterback. Dr. Fauci, being part of a wannabe dictators administration has to be subtle in his responses in order not to upset his narcisistic boss who fires everyone whose truth contradicts his lies.

Besides that, S. Korea made their own tests as well, and they did it within a week of their first confirmed case, same day as the U.S. first confirmed case, and they tested hundreds of thousands of people before the U.S. even got started.
            Last edited by JimL; 04-05-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
              Dr. Fauci, being part of a wannabe dictators administration has to be subtle in his responses in order not to upset his narcisistic boss who fires everyone whose truth contradicts his lies.
              Liberals: "Listen to the experts!"
              Also liberals: "Don't listen to the experts, because they're not being honest!"

Comment