Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Forgiving someone, but unable to forget the wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    If Christians were not allowed to take past wrongs into account, this would lead to conclusions we could not live with in the real world, even if we recognize forgiveness. To use an obvious example, if a man had abused a child, and had since been released from jail... yes, he's forgiven, but the church should still not let him be a youth leader.
    Yes, there are often lasting consequences that go along with sin - and those consequences don't simply disappear when somebody "gets saved" or "repents".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      There are a couple people I really struggle with how to forgive myself. I hope that the passage about as you forgive so shall it be forgive you isn't applied too harshly or I'm going to fry for eternity.

Forgiveness is hard and I don't understand where the people who say forgiveness is easy are coming from.
      I think forgiveness comes easier when we are able to separate the "forgiving" from the "forgetting". If we allow the two to be tied together, it's often nearly impossible to 'forgive' while remembering the hurt. And remembering the hurt may help us avoid being similarly hurt (or allowing others to be similarly hurt) in the future.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yes, there are often lasting consequences that go along with sin - and those consequences don't simply disappear when somebody "gets saved" or "repents".
        I always remember that Christ forgave the thief on the cross. The thief still died that day.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          I always remember that Christ forgave the thief on the cross. The thief still died that day.
          EGGzackly. Though, I also like to add that this individual never did any of the things that many people wrongly (INOHBAO) associate with "need to do to get to Heaven"....

tithe
          attend church
          good works
          be baptized
          witness
          evangelize...

It was ALL on Jesus and trust in Him.

Comment

I think there are some sins against people that are not forgivable, like a member of a family sexually molesting a child, but God will judge them, so they should find some comfort in that.

I've come to realize that some of the hurts I have experienced were done in ignorance.

It helps me to know that I am not perfect either.

Comment

The Bible says that the only unforgivable sin is the rejection of the Holy Spirit, which is mentioned by Jesus after he cast a demon out of a man and the Pharisees accused him of doing it by Satan's power.

He was confronting their deliberate rejection of what they knew to be from God. They refused to accept Jesus as the Son of God, ultimately rejecting the work of the Hoky Spirit in drawing them to repentance.

The same passage says that anything else can be forgiven. Read Matthew 12, starting at v. 22.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                The Bible says that the only unforgivable sin is the rejection of the Holy Spirit, which is mentioned by Jesus after he cast a demon out of a man and the Pharisees accused him of doing it by Satan's power.

He was confronting their deliberate rejection of what they knew to be from God. They refused to accept Jesus as the Son of God, ultimately rejecting the work of the Hoky Spirit in drawing them to repentance.

The same passage says that anything else can be forgiven. Read Matthew 12, starting at v. 22.
                Yes, all sins CAN be forgiven, but what do we have to do in order to HAVE them forgiven?

Can Christians go on sinning since our sins have been paid for?

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                  Yes, all sins CAN be forgiven, but what do we have to do in order to HAVE them forgiven?

Can Christians go on sinning since our sins have been paid for?
                  Well, Paul addresses this in Romans 6.

1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?

2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?

We still possess our sin nature after becoming a believer, and sadly, we still sin. John says that anyone who says they don't sin is a liar. But those sins are still covered by the blood of Christ. Our responsibility is to repent of those sins and with the strength of the Holy Spirit not continue to repeat them.

If someone commits a horrendous sin (in our eyes), and is a believer, or becomes a believer later, and they repent if that sin, they are forgiven.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Well, Paul addresses this in Romans 6.

1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?

2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?

We still possess our sin nature after becoming a believer, and sadly, we still sin. John says that anyone who says they don't sin is a liar. But those sins are still covered by the blood of Christ. Our responsibility is to repent of those sins and with the strength of the Holy Spirit not continue to repeat them.

If someone commits a horrendous sin (in our eyes), and is a believer, or becomes a believer later, and they repent if that sin, they are forgiven.
                    What if someone does not repent and does the same sin again.

I am wondering if some people who think they are Christians aren't really Christians.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                      What if someone does not repent and does the same sin again.

I am wondering if some people who think they are Christians aren't really Christians.
                      Perhaps if someone doesn't repent and continues to sin then the sincerity of their faith can be questioned. But only God knows that for sure.

I believe very strongly that many people who think they are Christians aren't. That's why Jesus will tell many in the last day, "Depart from Me, I never knew you".

Comment

Perhaps if someone doesn't repent and continues to sin then the sincerity of their faith can be questioned. But only God knows that for sure.

I believe very strongly that many people who think they are Christians aren't. That's why Jesus will tell many in the last day, "Depart from Me, I never knew you".
                        Yes.

Comment