Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Be sociable

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Saw this on FB this morning. Thought it was quite good.

PLEASE BE KIND

The guy at Wal-Mart that has 4 packs of toilet paper, 4 containers of Lysol wipes, 4 loaves of bread, and 4 jugs of milk. He's getting awful looks from every person he walks by, customer and staff included. But he doesn't care, because he knows that none of what is in his cart is for him, and he has now bought essentials for his parents, and 3 senior couples that live on his street. Please, be kind.

That woman browsing slowly through the decor at Superstore? Her husband is up North, and she has 4 kids at home that are supposed to be in school right now, she finally found a babysitter so she could get some groceries. She is usually working right now, but needs to stay home to watch AND teach her kids. And she's wandering a few extra aisles to get just a couple more minutes of quiet before she goes back to her messy, noisy house, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please, be kind.

That lady you shot a nasty glare at because she was walking the opposite direction than the arrow was pointing? She just tore her ACL, and instead of doing circles around the store on a knee that hurts like hell, she just popped into the one aisle she needed to grab some canned fruit before she heads back home to ice her leg. Please, be kind.

That guy in the supermarket that is standing just a little bit too close to you while you both look for the salad dressing you need? He was just laid off, and he's wondering how he's going to pay his mortgage and keep a roof over his family's head this month. He's a little distracted and isn't paying attention when he leans into your space. Please, be kind.

The cashier behind the till at the grocery store? He has been serving customers all day for minimum wage, as he is an essential service. He volunteered to cover shifts for a coworker in her 70's, she's more at risk than he is. He had an itchy nose and scratched it without realizing and then handed you your receipt. Please, be kind.

The lady that sat a little too close to you on the bus? She's a nurse, coming off of an 18 hour shift, and she saw two people die today in the ICU. She hasn't seen her family in weeks because she doesn't want to risk getting them sick. Her husband has the vehicle so he can take care of the kids, and she's half asleep and taking the bus. Please, be kind.

And the man you saw at the grocery store with his teenagers and toddler kids all in tow? His wife is a doctor, and he is a small business owner. He is facing bankruptcy. He wakes up every single morning and goes to sleep every single night wondering how he's going to keep his business afloat. He's at the end of his rope. He is suffering from crippling anxiety. His kids keep him calm and give him peace, they show him purpose. Please, be kind.

The point I'm trying to make? EVERYONE is going through something right now. Everyone is experiencing a trauma. We all need to have a bit of grace and kindness for one another. Nobody knows how to handle a situation like this, people will make mistakes, but we all need to show some grace and patience for one another.

Stop looking at your shoes when you shop and smile at someone, you can do that from 6ft away.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

2. Amen rogue06 amen'd this post.
    radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Was. My wife passed away last year.
    Ohhhh.

My heart breaks for you, MM.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

4. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Ohhhh.

My heart breaks for you, MM.

I'm so sorry to hear this.
    I appreciate it.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    I honestly don't understand the mentality that introversion is bad.
    Introverts ... aka folks who were social distancing before social distancing was cool.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Was. My wife passed away last year.
    I'm so sorry.

8. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I'm so sorry.
    Thank you.

I do appreciate everybody's sympathy, but I didn't intend to turn this into a condolences thread. Darth asked a question that I felt warranted a public response since I suspect that he wasn't the only long-time twebber who might have found my comment confusing. Folks can PM me if they want, or we can start a thread in a more appropriate forum if anybody would like to talk more about it.

But really, thank you to everybody for the kind words.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

11. Amen Darth Executor amen'd this post.
    radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I suspect that he wasn't the only long-time twebber who might have found my comment confusing.
    Yes, I wondered myself, but figured it fit perfectly under Dear Abby's "none of my business" advice. Thanks for sharing, and for my part, you don't have to say anything more, but I'll listen if you do.

13. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.