Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Be sociable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be sociable

Remember to talk to people you see at the market or on the street or elsewhere.

We could do social distancing without be totally unsociable

I went on a nature trail down the road from my place. I was asking people if their dog was a covid-sniffing dog. Some people seemed nervous to talk to other people, especially those who were wearing masks. It is important to break the ice and start conversations just to move people out of their self-imposed isolation.

This virus stuff is not supposed to make zombies out of everybody. The good news on my walk was that I avoided having a ragtag group of zombies chasing after me. We'll see what happens next time. Maybe the Rogue COVID distancing hand would come in handy for those situations

It's weird out there, man. No one talks, everyone's silent. People walk around folks to avoid them, sometimes even in streets to avoid them. Everyone wearing masks. I notice I get weird looks because I don't wear a mask (I'm kind of expecting some hysterical nut to go off on me about it, but of course I doubt anyone will do that since I'm 6'4 and fit ). This thing is traumatizing folks. No way are we ever going back to normal any time soon. But I live in LA, so maybe it's different in other places.

Comment

Huh... I've really not noticed a change. I still talk to people and usually get a friendly response. My one regret is not approaching the beautiful woman who met my gaze and smiled at me a couple of weeks ago because I was thinking, "Is this the best time to do that?" Stupid virus making me second guess myself...
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Huh... I've really not noticed a change. I still talk to people and usually get a friendly response. My one regret is not approaching the beautiful woman who met my gaze and smiled at me a couple of weeks ago because I was thinking, "Is this the best time to do that?" Stupid virus making me second guess myself...
        I thought you were married?
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          Remember to talk to people you see at the market or on the street or elsewhere.

We could do social distancing without be totally unsociable

I went on a nature trail down the road from my place. I was asking people if their dog was a covid-sniffing dog. Some people seemed nervous to talk to other people, especially those who were wearing masks. It is important to break the ice and start conversations just to move people out of their self-imposed isolation.

This virus stuff is not supposed to make zombies out of everybody. The good news on my walk was that I avoided having a ragtag group of zombies chasing after me. We'll see what happens next time. Maybe the Rogue COVID distancing hand would come in handy for those situations
          Some people, myself included, actually enjoy self-imposed isolation. I hate it when random strangers strike up a conversation with me for no reason. I honestly don't understand the mentality that introversion is bad.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
            Some people, myself included, actually enjoy self-imposed isolation. I hate it when random strangers strike up a conversation with me for no reason. I honestly don't understand the mentality that introversion is bad.
            The presumption does not have to be made that introversion is bad. However, if people are fearful and numbed by the current situation, I think it is good to promote communications. Most people are not used to so much isolation. They may stay quiet as an extension of the isolation at home, an isolation of fear. In the past, I've tried to break out of my own introversion by greeting people or making a silly remark.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              I thought you were married?
              Was. My wife passed away last year.

Comment

My sincerest condolences

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  My sincerest condolences
                  Thanks. The good news is that I will see her again some day in heaven.

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss, MM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Saw this on FB this morning. Thought it was quite good.

PLEASE BE KIND

The guy at Wal-Mart that has 4 packs of toilet paper, 4 containers of Lysol wipes, 4 loaves of bread, and 4 jugs of milk. He's getting awful looks from every person he walks by, customer and staff included. But he doesn't care, because he knows that none of what is in his cart is for him, and he has now bought essentials for his parents, and 3 senior couples that live on his street. Please, be kind.

That woman browsing slowly through the decor at Superstore? Her husband is up North, and she has 4 kids at home that are supposed to be in school right now, she finally found a babysitter so she could get some groceries. She is usually working right now, but needs to stay home to watch AND teach her kids. And she's wandering a few extra aisles to get just a couple more minutes of quiet before she goes back to her messy, noisy house, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please, be kind.

That lady you shot a nasty glare at because she was walking the opposite direction than the arrow was pointing? She just tore her ACL, and instead of doing circles around the store on a knee that hurts like hell, she just popped into the one aisle she needed to grab some canned fruit before she heads back home to ice her leg. Please, be kind.

That guy in the supermarket that is standing just a little bit too close to you while you both look for the salad dressing you need? He was just laid off, and he's wondering how he's going to pay his mortgage and keep a roof over his family's head this month. He's a little distracted and isn't paying attention when he leans into your space. Please, be kind.

The cashier behind the till at the grocery store? He has been serving customers all day for minimum wage, as he is an essential service. He volunteered to cover shifts for a coworker in her 70's, she's more at risk than he is. He had an itchy nose and scratched it without realizing and then handed you your receipt. Please, be kind.

The lady that sat a little too close to you on the bus? She's a nurse, coming off of an 18 hour shift, and she saw two people die today in the ICU. She hasn't seen her family in weeks because she doesn't want to risk getting them sick. Her husband has the vehicle so he can take care of the kids, and she's half asleep and taking the bus. Please, be kind.

And the man you saw at the grocery store with his teenagers and toddler kids all in tow? His wife is a doctor, and he is a small business owner. He is facing bankruptcy. He wakes up every single morning and goes to sleep every single night wondering how he's going to keep his business afloat. He's at the end of his rope. He is suffering from crippling anxiety. His kids keep him calm and give him peace, they show him purpose. Please, be kind.

The point I'm trying to make? EVERYONE is going through something right now. Everyone is experiencing a trauma. We all need to have a bit of grace and kindness for one another. Nobody knows how to handle a situation like this, people will make mistakes, but we all need to show some grace and patience for one another.

Stop looking at your shoes when you shop and smile at someone, you can do that from 6ft away.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Ohhhh.

My heart breaks for you, MM.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                          Ohhhh.

My heart breaks for you, MM.

I'm so sorry to hear this.
                          I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                            I honestly don't understand the mentality that introversion is bad.
                            Introverts ... aka folks who were social distancing before social distancing was cool.

Comment

I'm so sorry.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment