Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Evangelicals full of fear

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It really creeps me out (not fear, mind you, just creepy) how often ox and Charles agree with each other.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

2. Amen RumTumTugger, Mountain Man, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    It really creeps me out (not fear, mind you, just creepy) how often ox and Charles agree with each other.

I can understand why you would get that impression but I would say it is probably more that we agree to disagree.

I am obviously not a Christian and Ox is, so you would not have to scratch a lot beneath the surface to see that we would disagree a lot. I think his understanding of what Christianity is and how you should treat people you disagree with is very close to my understanding. There is a tendency on here to maintain a rather harsh tone towards those one disagrees with. Ox is very good at avoiding that and that might give the impression that we agree - and we certainly do at times. However, on a deeper level I would say we respectfully disagree. A lot.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    What "crazy stuff" about evangelicals are speaking of? The fact we believe a crucified man, who defied science with his miracles, rose from the dead after three days and sailed off into the sky to heaven ....
    My cult believes in eating flesh, drinking blood and dead people coming back to life! As a matter of fact, this Sunday, our morning service is gonna be ALL ABOUT that!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

5. Amen seanD, mossrose amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    What "crazy stuff" about evangelicals are speaking of? The fact we believe a crucified man, who defied science with his miracles, rose from the dead after three days and sailed off into the sky to heaven ( I assume you believe that); the fact there is a whole supernatural world out there that intermingles with our world (Holy Spirit, miracles, divine providence, etc)... yeah, man, that's some "crazy stuff," "off in the weeds" type stuff, isn't it? Can science quantify that? Whether you are or aren't an evangelical yourself, that doesn't mean you can't detest them. It's clear in your posts, and everyone sees it, which makes it even more noxious that you claim you identify with them. That just means you either hate yourself or you're just so self-righteous and arrogant, you think you're above them. I tend to lean towards the latter by how you come across in your posts.
    seanD, there is a vast difference between belief in good and uplifting things which can't be shown to be true beyond reasonable doubt, and belief in those things good or bad which can be shown to be false beyond reasonable doubt.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    As Augustine said, if the world sees people that claim to follow Christ unable to process or understand what is in this world and right before us, how can they trust us to have a lick of sense about what we can't see or prove as regards the Spiritual Truths found in Scripture?
    The very fact that you believe in an unseen God and place your faith in a man who rose from the dead is enough in and of itself for most skeptics to question your rationality and scientific understanding. For a skeptic to say, "I reject your arguments for the resurrection because you do not possess what I consider to be adequate knowledge of some other arbitrary subject," should be recognized for the logical fallacy that it is.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

8. Amen seanD, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    There is a tendency on here to maintain a rather harsh tone towards those one disagrees with. Ox is very good at avoiding that...

Please tell me you're being sarcastic!

10. Amen mossrose, Cow Poke, Cerebrum123, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles
    There is a tendency on here to maintain a rather harsh tone towards those one disagrees with.
    Is that why you started 2 threads this morning basically banning everybody who disagrees with you?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

12. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Is that why you started 2 threads this morning basically banning everybody who disagrees with you?
    Here is what I said in one of them: "No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person." It should be quite easy to disagree without having to go for name calling or changing the subject.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Only because you don't understand who I am, or who Charles is. As best I can tell, Charles is a former Christian who somewhere along the way lost his faith, but who still understands, and in many ways values, what our faith teaches. He can see the obvious conflicts between that faith and those values as he understands them. I am a man who has confronted many of the truths that often cause Christians to lose faith, but I have not lost my faith. But I am also a person that, like Charles, sees the obvious conflicts between what is posted on this site and the life and teachings of Christ and the disciples. Modern evangelicalism, as it is often expressed here, has lost its way in certain areas. Not completely, not even perhaps mostly. But as often as not, and very often on these pages, evangelicals present themselves as without compassion for a suffering world, as driven by laws of do's and don'ts, rather than the grace and mercy of God. And while in confronting those issues grace and love are often raised as rebukes of my points, it would be as if I saw a man beating his wife, and as I moved to intervene yelling out 'don't beat your wife', those around me rebuked me loudly and profusely for 'judging' him.

PS: Charles, I acknowledge my perception of you may not be who you are. I am not trying to say I 'know' who you are. I have merely described how I perceive you to be in this area based on how you have posted on these sites.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-07-2020 at 11:10 AM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

15. Amen Charles amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I am also a person that, like Charles, sees the obvious conflicts between what is posted on this site and the life and teachings of Christ and the disciples.
    This is the Jesus you follow:

Buddy_christ.jpg

I think Jesus' view of science would have been similar to his view of politics: "Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God." In other words, leave the politics to the politicians, and leave the science to the scientists. Your focus should be on greater things.