Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 523

Thread: Evangelicals full of fear

  1. #91
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,572
    Amen (Given)
    348
    Amen (Received)
    1326
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Only because you don't understand who I am, or who Charles is. As best I can tell, Charles is a former Christian who somewhere along the way lost his faith, but who still understands, and in many ways values, what our faith teaches. He can see the obvious conflicts between that faith and those values as he understands them. I am a man who has confronted many of the truths that often cause Christians to lose faith, but I have not lost my faith. But I am also a person that, like Charles, sees the obvious conflicts between what is posted on this site and the life and teachings of Christ and the disciples. Modern evangelicalism, as it is often expressed here, has lost its way in certain areas. Not completely, not even perhaps mostly. But as often as not, and very often on these pages, evangelicals present themselves as without compassion for a suffering world, as driven by laws of do's and don'ts, rather than the grace and mercy of God. And while in confronting those issues grace and love are often raised as rebukes of my points, it would be as if I saw a man beating his wife, and I yelled out 'don't beat your wife', and those around me rebuked me for 'judging' him.
    This is just more of same sanctimonious, self-righteous drivel you've spewed out here before. Modern evangelical Christianity as an organization has done more towards helping the poor and suffering around the world than any other organization in the world, religious or political. Just look at the stats. And how do you know what any of us do to help the suffering in the REAL world outside of this forum?
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

  2. Amen mossrose, Mountain Man, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  3. #92
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,522
    Amen (Given)
    710
    Amen (Received)
    2003
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    This is just more of same sanctimonious, self-righteous drivel you've spewed out here before. Modern evangelical Christianity as an organization has done more towards helping the poor and suffering around the world than any other organization in the world, religious or political. Just look at the stats. And how do you know what any of us do to help the suffering in the REAL world outside of this forum?
    I am only talking about how evangelicals present themselves here on this site seanD. If you are in the real world truly compassionate to those suffering and in need, then perhaps it is time to let your conversations here reflect that?

    And I acknowledge that the church, including evangelicals, does in fact do a lot of real and needed work in the world and among the poor. That is why the church is in fact an essential part of our world, and why many who complain about it would also truly miss it should it suddenly disappear. Nevertheless, that does not change the fact that many of the evangelicals here on this site in their conversations here present ideas and attitudes that do not acknowledge compassion for the word or for others, but rather the opposite.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  4. #93
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,572
    Amen (Given)
    348
    Amen (Received)
    1326
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I am only talking about how evangelicals present themselves here on this site seanD. If you are in the real world truly compassionate to those suffering and in need, then perhaps it is time to let your conversations here reflect that?

    And I acknowledge that the church, including evangelicals, does in fact do a lot of real and needed work in the world and among the poor. That is why the church is in fact an essential part of our world, and why many who complain about it would also truly miss it should it suddenly disappear. Nevertheless, that does not change the fact that many of the evangelicals here on this site in their conversations here present ideas and attitudes that do not acknowledge compassion for the word or for others, but rather the opposite.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. The forum is a place to express ideas and views, nothing more, and we have a finite amount of time to do it. We don't get to do that in the REAL world as often and as extensive as we do here. Sometimes various opinions will get heated. Get over it.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

  5. Amen Mountain Man, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  6. #94
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    22,567
    Amen (Given)
    17063
    Amen (Received)
    10434
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Here is what I said in one of them: "No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person." It should be quite easy to disagree without having to go for name calling or changing the subject.
    That's what you say now. But let's see what happens when people start disagreeing with you. How many will you try to toss out then?


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  7. #95
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    62,407
    Amen (Given)
    13524
    Amen (Received)
    28304
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Here is what I said in one of them: "No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person." It should be quite easy to disagree without having to go for name calling or changing the subject.
    Charles, this is a debate forum, and, to put it in plain language, it's not for sissies. Perhaps you'd be better off in the kiddie pool.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  8. #96
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,231
    Amen (Given)
    1270
    Amen (Received)
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    That's what you say now. But let's see what happens when people start disagreeing with you. How many will you try to toss out then?
    Well, they already do that (Sparko) or think I left out important parts (Rogue). http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...-could-be-lost

    They can do all that while complying with: "No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person."
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

  9. #97
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    59,548
    Amen (Given)
    1223
    Amen (Received)
    21692
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Charles, this is a debate forum, and, to put it in plain language, it's not for sissies. Perhaps you'd be better off in the kiddie pool.
    Or...

    Charles.jpg

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  10. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  11. #98
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    59,548
    Amen (Given)
    1223
    Amen (Received)
    21692
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Well, they already do that (Sparko) or think I left out important parts (Rogue). http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...-could-be-lost

    They can do all that while complying with: "No name calling in this thread, please. Posts must be on topic and not about my person."
    Even when they are on topic you get upset because what you really want is to blog and exclude those who aren't an amen corner (in full agreement and in full support of your OP) for you.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  12. #99
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,522
    Amen (Given)
    710
    Amen (Received)
    2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Charles, this is a debate forum, and, to put it in plain language, it's not for sissies. Perhaps you'd be better off in the kiddie pool.
    On the other hand, why would Christian persons find a need to express ideas in ways that are mean and cruel? And even more to the point, why would they dig in and try to justify it when called on it?

    And before you go on a rampage against me personally, I'm calling out my own violations as well as others. I am NOT saying I haven't done the same thing.

    So I ask the question of ALL: Why do WE who name the name of Christ find it necessary to be rude, nasty, cruel, demeaning, etc when we are expressing what we believe to be true in these conversations?
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  13. #100
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    22,265
    Amen (Given)
    6598
    Amen (Received)
    8102
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    On the other hand, why would Christians persons find a need to express ideas in ways that are mean and cruel?
    You tell us. Have you seen the way you talk about your President?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  14. Amen lilpixieofterror amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •