Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 523

Thread: Evangelicals full of fear

  1. #11
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    59,550
    Amen (Given)
    1223
    Amen (Received)
    21692
    I predict that Chuck will be threatening to toss people out of the thread for not agreeing and supporting him.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  2. #12
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    22,569
    Amen (Given)
    17064
    Amen (Received)
    10434
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Me too.

    The hidden cameras that the squirrels installed just aren't the same thing


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  3. #13
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,235
    Amen (Given)
    1270
    Amen (Received)
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    [...]I assume that when he talks about "change in culture", he's talking about things like the push to normalize homosexuality, and he is claiming that those Christians who believe the Bible when it calls it a sin are acting out of "fear" rather than righteousness.
    Well, here is what he is saying about it: ""What's striking here is that evangelicals have in almost every circumstance where there's some kind of change in the culture, have not responded with hospitality to the stranger, with grace, with hope, with the idea that people who are different from them have been created in the image of God and have that dignity and worth."

    If your first idea is to "assume" what he thinks about homosexuals without providing anything to support it that is a rather desperate try.

    And he is more consistent with his traditional view on character than you are.

    "The inconsistency – call it hypocrisy – has been striking," Fea explained. "You look at all of these leaders from the Christian Right who aligned themselves with the Republican Party in the 1980s, and look at what they said about Bill Clinton and his scandal with Monica Lewinksy. James Dobson, Gary Bauer, Franklin Graham. For someone like me who still claims the name 'evangelical', it's outright embarrassing to see these evangelical leaders now, just because their guy is in office, dismiss these character issues."
    But then you can always "assume" he is wrong about something else or make a false statement about me. Because it would be too tricky to actually adress what he is actually saying.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

  4. #14
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,235
    Amen (Given)
    1270
    Amen (Received)
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, and he misinterprets caution for fear. I resist the homosexual agenda, for example, not because of fear, but simply because it's anti-biblical.

    That's our Charles! Gosh, I don't miss him when I'm not here!
    Seems you fear the actual message he has got since you too need to make it about homosexuals. Where did you even get that from?

    "What's striking here is that evangelicals have in almost every circumstance where there's some kind of change in the culture, have not responded with hospitality to the stranger, with grace, with hope, with the idea that people who are different from them have been created in the image of God and have that dignity and worth. Instead they have built their walls and protected themselves against people they fear Fear. [It's] an inherent contradiction for anyone who takes the Bible seriously.
    If all you can get from this is ideas about homosexuality you are really narrow minded. And really concerned to not adress what he is actually saying.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

  5. #15
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,235
    Amen (Given)
    1270
    Amen (Received)
    545
    That's my kind of mission, my kind of calling in life, as a scholar, as an evangelical: to get the church to think about how to be better citizens and to engage in a way that's more Biblical and responsible."

    Fea's work is in history, but he remains grounded in his faith and his optimism.

    "Trump will pass," he says. "The Christian church needs to go on and continue to live out the gospel in everyday life." https://www.popmatters.com/believe-m...579257864.html
    Should not be that controversial but it seems it is.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

  6. #16
    Department Head
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,423
    Amen (Given)
    21330
    Amen (Received)
    1615
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Wasn't it the political right accused of downplaying the situation at first? Now they're being accused of fear?

    Or is he just trolling about a different subject?
    When isn't he trolling?

  7. #17
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,235
    Amen (Given)
    1270
    Amen (Received)
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    While all of Christendom is posting "Faith over Fear" all over Facebook.
    And while any of those seeing that message would only need to spend a short time on tweb to realize that some of those Christians put more faith in walls, cages and family separations to protect them from what they fear. And what they fear is the very stranger, other human beings, including children. Their faith tells them to love them and treat them like they would like to be trated themselves. But they go for walls and family separations instead. Clearly fear over faith.
    "That is the little thing, the small thing, which Trump demands of his followers: To call hot cold. To call black white. To call wrong right." Michael Gerson

  8. #18
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    59,550
    Amen (Given)
    1223
    Amen (Received)
    21692
    Quote Originally Posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    When isn't he trolling?
    When he's oh so selectively net nannying.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  9. Amen RumTumTugger, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  10. #19
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    22,268
    Amen (Given)
    6598
    Amen (Received)
    8102
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    And he is more consistent with his traditional view on character than you are.

    "It's outright embarrassing to see these evangelical leaders now, just because their guy is in office, dismiss these character issues."
    Nobody has dismissed Trump's character issues.

    It's time to drag out the next straw man, because this one has been beaten to dust.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  11. #20
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,528
    Amen (Given)
    711
    Amen (Received)
    2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    While all of Christendom is posting "Faith over Fear" all over Facebook.
    ... and acting out fear over faith while simultaneously buying into nearly every lame conspiracy theory out there. My wife has a facebook feed. She keeps me updated.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •